Westcoast Wilderness Railway - Tasmania

PGibbons

Just a note to say I'm starting to build this route.

The railway runs from Queenstown to Strahan on the west coast of Tasmania and is one of the few railways in the world to use the ABT (rack) rail technology enabling grades of up to 1:16 to be negotiated by the specially designed locomotives.

The line has recently been restored as a tourist railway.

Any comments, information or recent photos would be appreciated.

PG

This is great to hear. I was thinking of starting this but just don't have time. Some of the Tasmanian tourst sites have some pictures that my help as I have looked at them for inspiration.

Am I right in thinking that this is a 3f6i gauge route - if so, I am very interested. Otherwise, well, it still sounds like a lot of fun.

Now, this will be absolutly splendid... More Tasmanian stuffs will always be welcomed and enjoyed... Keep us posted on progress mate !

I was actually just looking at info for this railway earlier today...

I realise that it's been years since you mentioned you were working on it, but it would be amazing to have some Tassie stuff... There's almost none.

It's such a shame that the old Payware M and MA class locos never had any Tassie carriages made for them, with also few routes. They were and still are such amazing locos, and it'd be great to have a few small proto Tassie routes made. And yes, I do realise that the WCW/Abt railway never ran the M/MA class locos :p

I wonder if the fellow who made those payware locos is still able to be contacted... From what I recall, he was making the Emu Bay railway. If so, it'd be great if he was willing to let someone finish it as freeware on a website perhaps with donations going to him. I think he gave up with the payware stuff because he put so much effort into those locos, and didn't get much money for his incredible work and was a bit upset from that.

i downloaded the M/MA locos ther great. but are not that good up hills'

i wonder if they will finish the EBR route they wher making and make it avalible for download. because the don river railway ran their locos up the EBR.
if they finish it you could replacate a EBR excursion that don river railway done.

Last edited:
On the Backburner

I did start on this route back in 2007 and got some of it done but then got an email from someone (since lost due to various PC rebuilds!) saying that a group of people had decided to create the route as a payware item. I didnt progress then but still have the route in an unfinished form - about 10K or so from Strahan towards the mountains.

Depending on responses here I am quite willing to hand this over to anyone who wants to finish it. (its in 2006 format)
AS we havnt seen any evidence of another route being built maybe it hasnt eventuated.

PG

I did start on this route back in 2007 and got some of it done but then got an email from someone (since lost due to various PC rebuilds!) saying that a group of people had decided to create the route as a payware item. I didnt progress then but still have the route in an unfinished form - about 10K or so from Strahan towards the mountains.

Depending on responses here I am quite willing to hand this over to anyone who wants to finish it. (its in 2006 format)
AS we havnt seen any evidence of another route being built maybe it hasnt eventuated.

PG

do you know how is making it:confused:

Who cares if a payware group is making it? If they want it to be payware, they'll have to include a significant amount of high quality content for it to be worth paying for. I hate this whole 'I claim a route so I'd like it if you don't create it' attitude. Same goes with all content.

But also, if you haven't heard anything from this mysterious payware group for some time, then there's a good chance it's been given up on.

But I would love it if you create it. It's such an amazing route, and with DEM terrain and such, it'd be simply stunning.

There's almost no Tassie routes out there, which is a great shame. I'd really urge you to work more on it. You might find that after creating the route, more content creators would be inspired to create Tassie content. Even folk from afar, as it's such a unique route.

James

Wilderness Railway

Ive had a look at the route and found that Ive got a reasonable amount of it done - probably 50%, so I might bring it back onto the boil after I finish my current project.
After all the scenery in western Tas is slightly different to that in SW NSW that I'm working on at the moment, a change is as good as a holiday.....

PG

this will be great if you finish it. and ABT locos are avalible from paulz trainz but they are payware

Back