Westcoast Wilderness Railway - Tasmania

According to the book "British Steam Locomotive Builders" by James Lowe:
"12 1/2 inches by 20 inches cylinders for the track and 11 1/2 inches by 15 1/2 inches for the rack drive".

Interesting, I downloaded that Strahan to Queenstown route as well. Being picky maybe, I found 2 massive flaws. Virtually no roads, and not one single Gum tree! No, no, this just isn't right.... European and north american trees, "shakes head." I have done some work fixing those (to me) major errors, but I have so many projects on the go... Otherwise interesting. For rolling stock you can use QR or NZR items although there are a couple of Tas-rail items.

The pics I have don't show much in the way of gum trees. Dense forest with tall skinny trees fighting for canopy coverage. An awful lot of ferns due to the wet climate. Terrain is steep but low mountains totally covered in trees. Around Queenstown it resembles a martian landscape where miners stripped everything leaving hills of bare rock.

Thanks for the info on the cylinders Paul.

Definitely not Pennsylvania but I liked the impression I got. The low mountains with sections of dense forest is the look I need for the EBT in the early 1900's. Lots of ferns and shrubs along the right of way. There're some trees I saw that would be out of place but many would fit right in the eastern woodlands here. Whether they're appropriate for Tasmania I can't say.

Bob Pearson

As the original author of this route I welcome most of the constructive feedback.

Just to point out a few things, first of all it is freeware and done as a hobby project, from several 1000 miles away!

There are roads in the route, where these were shown on the mapping I tried to include but it is not intended to be 100% accurate in any respect.

As regards the trees, yes these were a compromise but there are to my knowledge still no decent gum/eucalyptus next gen Speedtrees available for TANE/TRS2019 on the DLS and I refuse to use the default N3V godawful ones. So you git wot you gits, so to speak.

Moral of story - never build a prototype route as people will just come in and rip it to bloody bits... :(

Last edited:
Vern, thanks for all the time and effort you put into this route. I'm enjoying it a lot. I can say for certain I will be studying the forest more closely though not with eye towards what species of trees are growing in it. I'll probably be sick of climbing that hill when I get done testing Abt locos - rack or no rack.

And I got the impression he really likes the route.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Reading the authors comments he said any is free to update it ... ok for my own use at the moment but if any one intrested i made a fell verson awhile ago in tane. Im using the NZR H #199 - 203 class for the fell section trains and just for a change for the top section upto the start of the fell track train a F class but what you do is up to you and NZR rollingstock , changed point levers to locked nzr ones signals and dwarfs are VR style.

H class top speed is 15mph just for your intrest have posted a screen shot a while ago

Tom

Not sure think it was one of the old NZR content sites by gregcash, had it for a long time. it is 3'6" did a lot of QR stuff as well by the looks last updated in 2009

Tom

Last edited:
I wondered if it was one of the old NZR models by gregcash. Of course all his models are well and truly gone now except for a tiny handful of survivors.

Back