South African farm dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuluking

Would a kind content creator consider modelling a South African dam.
A picture can be seen at
http://www.123rf.com/photo_414559_old-farm-dam.html

As children we used to swim in these dams, which were often found on old towns as well. They were used to irrigated the vegetable gardens.
Sadly to day most have disappeared.
The dam height from memory varied, but I think the height was 6 feet and width varied from 12 feet to perhaps 15 feet.

I'll make it. Making it will be easy. Printed the pic out. Any ideas as to variations?

Here we would probably call it a cistern (for storing water).

Ben

Hy Ben and Zuluking,

We call it a cattletrough, this is the one in our cattleyard and I have a
filled and empty one made but not as yet released.

It will only be a matter of uploading in the next couple of days if you want me to.

Added infield view of the cattletroughs

Cheers,

Bill.

Last edited:
As children we used to swim in these dams, which were often found on old towns as well. They were used to irrigated the vegetable gardens.
Sadly to day most have disappeared.
The dam height from memory varied, but I think the height was 6 feet and width varied from 12 feet to perhaps 15 feet.

Made this one up to your measurements and added a ladder for easy access.

My appologies to Ben (Bendorsy), I am not trying to take over, just had them sitting here ready to go.

Will upload all three of them shortly.

Cheers,

Bill.e

Gee thanks.
You have no idea of how these assets will be appreciated by me.
What did surprise too was how difficult it was to find a picture on the internet.
Thanks again.

No problem, they have been uploaded, and are awaiting processing.

If you send me a PM with your email I can send you a CDP.

Cheers,

Bill.

So when the water level drops below 6-10 inches from the top, how does the cow get a drink?

So when the water level drops below 6-10 inches from the top, how does the cow get a drink?

Hi Euphod,

The smaller troughs here in Oz have a ball valve and float and are only about 80cm (2'6") high.
The cows can reach that quite easily.

From the picture Zuluking provided of the large tank (in South Africa) it has an external drinking trough at the base.
(not included in the uploaded asset, but can be updated)

Hi Dinorius_Redundicus,

That is always the next option.:hehe::hehe:

Cheers,

Bill.

There's a pub about a mile down the road.

Nicely met! You gave me a good laugh!:D

Willem2 said:
The smaller troughs here in Oz have a ball valve and float and are only about 80cm (2'6") high.
The cows can reach that quite easily.

From the picture Zuluking provided of the large tank (in South Africa) it has an external drinking trough at the base.

Thanks, I understand now. My first thought was that cows tend not to be so limber...:confused:

Hi all,

I have made an extra trough, (before the animal welfare comes
after me:hehe: ) this one has the drinking trough attached.

Will be uploaded for your farm needs.:) :) :)

Hi JCitron, Iwill never get my cattle to use those "yuppie tubs":confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers,

Bill.

That's great Bill, but I hope you didn't go through the trouble on my account. If I were a cattle rancher I would just put an office cooler out there with some Dixie cups.. like a "Far Side" cartoon...:eek:

That's great Bill, but I hope you didn't go through the trouble on my account. If I were a cattle rancher I would just put an office cooler out there with some Dixie cups.. like a "Far Side" cartoon...:eek:

I tried that but they keep knocking the cups over and are difficult to hold.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

No problem by the way.:cool:

Cheers,

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back