Tasmania

Good to hear you are stil sticking to it modeltrains! Apart from my giant Glasgow Tramway mentioned a while back I am gradually working through the whole of the N. Ireland Railway over in Ulster plus the Belfast-Dublin Line from Scotland (apart from a couple of visits thank goodness for Google Earth). I have known keen Trainzers who buckle and give up working on a route so giving oneself occasional breaks can help alieviate temptation. Good on you. A Scotch pie and bottle of Irn Bru for you - so keep at it!

Good on yer mate. As a fan of Aussie rail I always look forward to new additions. My creative/artistic ability is zero, so I am destined to wait for those who not only have the time and patience,
but also the ability to bring these routes to life.

Cheers

Bob (CRO)

Thanks for the kind comments guys, it just gives u little kick to know it will be well worth it :D.
@rjhowie,,, Keep up the great work on your route, that is going to be one mighty achievement finishing a route of that size!
@CRO,,, Thanks for the reassuring comment, Tasmania has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world as with the railway line runs right next to the ocean on the Northwest coast, which you can often sea marine life eg.. i was out training the other mouth and a pod of about 12 Dolphins came up next to me while i was on my board, & they were a arm's length away from me and my board (i could pat these wild Dolphins, it was amazing). And there's not many places in the world you can see a train run this close to the ocean, along with the beautiful lush scenery, and id like to share this with Fellow Trainzers.

Here's some videos off "you-tube", Recomend watching these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGIVepz9o4&feature=related - Northwest coast of Tas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKncBwe30A - West coast bound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVp3Te2Ed_s - Northwest coast of Tas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mETcrqv3F8&feature=related - Overall view of Tasmanian Railways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpxQF3Ooe_I&feature=related - Tasmania's Paper Train
These are not my videos.

Tasrail's fleet of locos are sadly aging fast. Us Australian rail fans, i am guessing would remember them as some of our fleet are ex QR. Our oldest locomotive witch is still in service and going well
is 41years of age! Our current colour scheme is gray and yellow whihc is feally new (about 12months running):
- DQ2012 "celebrating" Rosbery Mine 75 years new. Picture at Ulverstone by me.

The rail network in Tasmania has suffered from a lack of investment in recent decades. For this reason, in 2007 the Tasmanian Government purchased the rail network from Pacific National. The Tasmania State Government and the Australian Government joined forces to contribute funds to rescue the rail way. -Statement from Tasrail's website

Funding has also gone into track up grades, with the help of Queensladn Rail: (2010)
- East Ulverstone, QR resleaping Tasrail Network 2010

- West Ulverstone 'Goat island', QR resleaping Tasrail Network 2010

But the Railway is slowly getting back up to its feet as Downer Rail, in partner with Progress Rail USA has been awarded the Tasrail contract to design, build and deliver 17 new PR22L locomotives, modified to suit the Tasmanian rail network for the sum of 60million. This is fantastic news as Tasmania has not seen brand new locomotives in decades. Tasrail recantly perchused 4 second had locomotives to help freight hall in Tas: 2151D, 2152D, 2153D & 2154D which was purchased off Queensland Rail.

cheers Dan :D

Last edited:
Hi TGR well I started it some two years ago in ts2010 then to tr2012 transferred most of it then along came tane. Well gave up for a while too many bugs in it and I was one of the one put in before it was realest so this last 12 month have restarted
More so in the last few months.
I had a lot done Devonport to Burnie still work in progress, but it was all done the hard way. Most of which is now into T:ane SP2Hp1 then came the Fingal line, well it had been out for a while. I am up to build 90945, so then this line was in full scale and could not be properly introduced in to my one. So I have now started the extension of the Fingal line and yes in full scale. At 720m per block it’s a long way. So now the basic line is up to western junction, lots of scenery to fill in yet but I set out putting in the line, and now the height issue Conara is 209m, Parattah is 420m odd high.
I am though doing it in the standard gauge easier to do, and for rolling stock. New modern Tasmania. I want to go back to the steam age, and magically all the track rebuilt.
Diesel to expensive to run theme.
At the moment I live east of Oatlands in the bush I have lived all around Tassy 13 year here.
I have now the trainsDEM,not opened it as yet, I have been using the topographic map of Tasmaniathat has the train lines on it as well.

Last edited:
pware started something with the Fingal line, there so many twists and turns in the Tasmania rail networks, and some go through some unbelievable country side that only a few have seen. The line south has to climb to over 400m and go through a 900m long tunnel that has a steep incline, to add to this it take three diesel locos to pull the goods train that travels mostly at night and early in the mornings. The tunnels ventilation is such that there are time they barely make it through, due to lack of oxygen in the tunnel. I hope to keep on doing my Tasmania rail layout. I have taken the Fingal line by pware and I am extending it, track first it is at the moment up to western junction.
I may do areas then add them in as I go. I will be looking at the old Scottsdale line around xmas.

Great to hear that your Tasmania project is up and running again. ��

Hi yes still at it now I have decided to continue Pware's Fingal line in full scale I have put down the basic line now to western junction, will then again basic line only to Parattah 425m elevation.

I may now do bits then patch it in using merge.
Xmas day I go out to will be looking at the old Scottsdale line and get some pics.

Back