Tasmania

Hi all,
I'm building Tasmania as a route, main line, disused lines, fingal line ect. I know your all thinking that's a massive job, but i will get it finished.:)

Anyway my point is can we please get some more tassie content out there. :D:D

The question has been asked before. The answer has always been "as soon as you create the content yourself there will be more of it available"

G'day! :wave:

I would recommend asking someone for the DEM before you get started. Having lived in Tassie for ten years, I would also recommend you asking around for people to help you create this route. Because building Tasrail's whole network is a Titanic job for one person. I recreated the Launceston - Herrick line, which terminates at Ledgerwood nowadays, from scratch. It took at least a good year and half. And it wasn't perfect, so many errors. I had no help, no DEM data and NO content to make it reasonable. I relied on Google Earth and Internet research. I would love to help but unfortunately, I am no good with building real routes. I'm a more of a do-your-own-thing kinda guy. But, I'm pretty sure Dermmy can fix up the DEM for you and perhaps make some content for you.

Happy Route building! Really looking forward to this route! :D

Cheers! :)

Jake.

... building Tasrail's whole network is a Titanic job for one person. I recreated the Launceston - Herrick line, which terminates at Ledgerwood nowadays, from scratch. It took at least a good year and half.

I fully concur - my Conara Junction to St Marys route (Tasmania's Fingal Line on the DLS) took 12 months without using DEM data - but please, Modeltrains, do not take this as an attempt to discourage you - a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Very little Tasmanian rolling stock is available on the DLS partially due to the fact that TasRail and its predecessors often used rolling stock from other narrow gauge systems (e.g. SA, NZ and QLD) but probably has more to do with the fact that most non-Australian designers would never have heard of Tasmania (except for the "Tassie Devil" in Bugs Bunny cartoons).

As you would probably be aware creating rolling stock content of high enough quality is not a simple process and has a very long and steep learning curve. I am planning to leave that aspect of Trainz until after my retirement when I may have the time. In the meanwhile I make use of similar rolling stock substitutes - only the die-hard rivert counters would notice and life is too short to take them seriously.

Peter Ware

hi rastis,
i was waiting for you to post:D, i figured that it would be a huge job!!! but with some help it is possible. I bit the bullet and have already stated, only a few days ago , stated around the north-west of tassie were i know best. As you said, you might not be able to help creating but you cold chace up content for me, ect if you want. I'm a perfectionist so it will be as close as i possibly can.

I have be using Google earth and will keep you updated :hehe:. One thing we are going to have to find is some LOCOS, now point of this route with out some more content like this.

Thanks, Dan :wave:

Last edited:
Modeltrains, do not take this as an attempt to discourage you - a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

once i start something i stick with it

Well three years or so back (at least!) I started building the former tramway system that used to grace the streets of this city (Glasgow) but sadly closed in 1962. It waqs beaten only by the UK capitol in London in the hey days of trams. I had all the detail of where track were around the city and suburbs so decided to have a bash. Al told it had around 140 plus miles of double track plus streets, buildings to a degree. Grant you there are Trainz rail routes bigger but this is a city environment but I stuck to it even through times I thought I had bitten off too much doing a city. Sometimes i left it for days then returned to it. Indeed I walked every mile except for a couple of hundred yards where a motorway now existed, traced every terminus and so on. Now I am doing the whole of the railway in Ulster so you have a jolly good try and if you are of the mould you say you are then a serious good luck to you. That giant city tramway was my first attempt at anything and I got there in the end.

There wil be times you think "have I bitten off too much" but stick to your guns and trust you will succeed.

I'm pretty sure Dermmy can fix up the DEM for you and perhaps make some content for you.

Jake.

@ Jake

(1) I create DEM maps using HOG and TIGER data, a process pretty much restricted to USA routes. While it is possible to make maps outside the USA using HOG and overlaying other data for the 'map' I have no experience whatsoever in so doing. You really need somebody proficient in TransDEM to knock out an Oz route.

(2) In any case I don't do DEM requests nor have I done so for some time.

(3) I have never made a 3D object in my life!

@ modeltrains: Sorry mate, but I'm not your man! If I read the opening post correctly you are doing all of Tassy? Now that's a project...

Andy ;)

Last edited:
hi rjhowie2,
thanks for the advice, in the last 3 to 4 days in my view i have done a fare bit of work. This is such a big project so thanks again.

one more question, i have trainz12 so I'm using jointed rails track (used on the Mojave) but it comes with trainz12 so if wanted to put my route on the DLS when finished can i ???? just wondering because you can't third party items on the DLS. I think the answer would be yes but thought I'd ask.

Dan

If the track is built-in then anyone who can run the route has it - you can only run a route in the version it was built in or higher - so no need to download it from anywhere!

WOW hold it there i can help him with scenary

I would recommend asking someone for the DEM before you get started. Having lived in Tassie for ten years, I would also recommend you asking around for people to help you create this route. Because building Tasrail's whole network is a Titanic job for one person. I recreated the Launceston - Herrick line, which terminates at Ledgerwood nowadays, from scratch. It took at least a good year and half. And it wasn't perfect, so many errors. I had no help, no DEM data and NO content to make it reasonable. I relied on Google Earth and Internet research. I would love to help but unfortunately, I am no good with building real routes. I'm a more of a do-your-own-thing kinda guy. But, I'm pretty sure Dermmy can fix up the DEM for you and perhaps make some content for you.

Happy Route building! Really looking forward to this route! :D

Jake.

all of us guys should put our Routes together and makethe Tassie line together!
I fully concur - my Conara Junction to St Marys route (Tasmania's Fingal Line on the DLS) took 12 months without using DEM data - but please, Modeltrains, do not take this as an attempt to discourage you - a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Very little Tasmanian rolling stock is available on the DLS partially due to the fact that TasRail and its predecessors often used rolling stock from other narrow gauge systems (e.g. SA, NZ and QLD) but probably has more to do with the fact that most non-Australian designers would never have heard of Tasmania (except for the "Tassie Devil" in Bugs Bunny cartoons).

As you would probably be aware creating rolling stock content of high enough quality is not a simple process and has a very long and steep learning curve. I am planning to leave that aspect of Trainz until after my retirement when I may have the time. In the meanwhile I make use of similar rolling stock substitutes - only the die-hard rivert counters would notice and life is too short to take them seriously.

Peter Ware

Found a little something for ya Modeltrains! :D
rastis_20100717_0001.jpg

By Colhad!

Jake.

Peter Ware

There is a small amount of Tassie rollingstock on the DLS, but yeah, Modeltrains you will have to subsitute look-alike rollingstock from other states to compliment it - not that it's not prototypical of course ;) (after all, the SA 830 class were transfered to Tasrail in the 1980s, and now QR, NZ and Westrail locos have relocated to the Apple Isle), so even rivet counters can be happy about having so-called 'foreign' locos and rollingstock running on a Tasmanian route.

You're probably already checked the DLS I presume though, but in case you haven't, here's some of the Tasmanian stock I've been able to find there:

TGR X class diesel-electric in red and cream (with Tasman Limited headboard) - KUID2:59737:2:2
TGR X class diesel-electric in red and cream - KUID2:59737:3:2
TGR X class diesel-electric in green and cream - KUID2:59737:11:3
TGR V class diesel shunter in red - KUID2:59737:31:2
TGR ES class four-wheel closed van - KUID:30073:404
TGR K class 0-4-0+0-4-0 Garratt steam locomotive - KUID2:1854:1737:2 (note: this is the version for 09, there is also an earlier version for 04 on the DLS too)
Tasrail/Pacific National DQ class diesel-electric (ex QR) - KUID2:50587:53177:1
Tasrail DQ class diesel-electric (ex QR) - KUID2:50587:53175:1
Tasrail (ex Emu Bay Railway) 10 class diesel-hydraulic - KUID:73150:1000

There is also numerous examples of Paintshed reskins of the 830 class (too numerous to list here) on the DLS, along with the 'D' class reskin rastis posted, plus I know there was a M class 4-6-2 steam loco once available on a third-party site as payware, but apparently the site has since disappeared, and I haven't been able to find anything more on it.

In any event Modeltrains, good luck with your route and I look forward to seeing screenshots of it soon. :)

Back