No Doppler Effect in TS12

Bananimal

Just got the game running a few days ago and can't seem to get any doppler effect. I bought it as a digital download from JR's website. Not sure if the digital download is any different than the retail boxed copy or something but I'd really like to get it working.

I just built a new PC for Trainz and I'm kinda bummed there is no doppler. I'm thinking it my be the onboard Realtek chip but it supports Dolby 7.1 so I'm having a hard time convincing myself that is it. It's probably something simple. Hopefully anyway.

Machine Specs

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ASUS Maximus Extreme IV Motherboard
Corsair H70 CPU Water Cooler
i7 2600k Sandybridge CPU at 4.7Ghz
16GB GSkill 2133 RAM
1 OCZ 120GB SATA 3 SSD 530MBs Boot Drive
2 OCZ 240GB SATA 3 SSDs in RAID1 1GBs Striped Game Drive
2 Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB HDDs in RAID0 Mirrored Backup
1 Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB HDD Standalone Backup
1 Maxtor Diamond Max 1TB HDD Standalone Backup
XFX Radeon 6990
Realtek ALC889 Onboard Audio

Anyone else having issues with TS12 doppler effects?

In surveyor under the options sound tab be sure you have the 3d sound option checked. Where I reallynnotice the effect is when I pass over a crossing with bells. As you pass through the crossing the sound of the crossing bells really drops in pitch.

Sorry but Doppler works in TS12, check your Audio settings in game, there's now a sound setting.

Got an Asus board here with Realtek sound chip and its ok.

Hmmmm....I've messed with the 3D sound option in Surveyor and it made no difference. It sounded a little different but no doppler. I even went out and downloaded the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek and it's still the same. Whether the 3D option is on or off, when I stand outside of the train and it goes by, the horn remains the same pitch. Engine sounds as well.

Last edited:
The Doppler does work, however for it to work you need to either be in 'free roaming' view, or pass another object that has a sound attached (e.g. a level crossing).

Unfortunately, the Doppler isn't working in 'tracking cameras' (aka view '3') at the moment. We are looking into this.

Hmmmm....I've messed with the 3D sound option in Surveyor and it made no difference. It sounded a little different but no doppler. I even went out and downloaded the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek and it's still the same. Whether the 3D option is on or off, when I stand outside of the train and it goes by, the horn reamins the same pitch. Engine sounds as well.

Check the cards stereo settings?

Ok, so I found the issue. It seems that in tracking view it doesn't really work but if I choose the lineside view it does. What's up with that?

(EDIT) Ok, just saw the post below. At least I'm not going bonkers in my old age yet. Glad you guys are looking into it. Thanks for posting.

Ok, so I found the issue. It seems that in tracking view it doesn't really work but if I choose the lineside view it does. What's up with that?

(EDIT) Ok, just saw the post below. At least I'm not going bonkers in my old age yet. Glad you guys are looking into it. Thanks for posting.

You're running up against Mr Einstein's theory of relativity...

Doppler is an effect whereby the sound pitch changes on a moving object within your frame of reference.

In tracking view, the locomotive is not moving relative to your frame of reference - although static objects along the lineside are - so you will not hear doppler effects from the locomotive (horn, engine, etc). You may hear doppler effects from lineside items such as crossing bells though.

Trainz 12 simulates this accurately - well, apart from a bug where some crossing bells don't sound. You would achieve the same thing in the real world were you in a carriage behind a locomotive filming it, you would not hear any doppler effect from the horn as the locomotive is not moving relative to your frame of reference.

NikkiA; I see you have succumbed to the same misunderstanding that initially caught me up.
The Tracking Cameras are those that you set by the line and are static, except that they may turn to watch the train go by. These would be perfect for the Doppler effect.

I believe you may be thinking of the tracking view on the consist.

Back