ANZAC Day, 2011

We owe those who gave all and those that fight for our way of life a huge debt. Today is a day for us to remember their sacrifice and continued effort to protect our way of life........... LEST WE FORGET

Oh how times have change when I posted a Anzac message 2 years ago I got a 2 week ban as it was deemed to be a political message .. as a former armed services member I took it as a great insult at the time.

Lest We Forgot

For our past and present service people. Thank you for your sacrifice in the name of freedom.

"Lest we forget"

Cheers

Trent

My grandfather, fought alongside ANZAC troops in the trenches during WW1.

He told my father they were some of the finest troops going.

"We shall remember them".

IKB.

My grandfather, fought alongside ANZAC troops in the trenches during WW1.

He told my father they were some of the finest troops going.

"We shall remember them".

IKB.

It is worthwhile takng two minutes to close your eyes and try to imagine the horrors the front-line men of World War 1 went through.............many of their experiences were so vile, so horrible that many of the men couldn't ever talk about them afterwards.

I am ashamed to say that us kids took the mickey remorselessly out of a lovely old gentleman named Sid Rice. As he would walk across the fields on a cold morning to check on his livestock, with his walking stick, a pronounced limp and a hacking cough we would follow at a safe distance behind and call out "Hiya Sid, how's your heart, your lungs, your liver and your leg?" Of course, we didn't know any better and it was only at his funeral that we were told of his bravery in the trenches! To think of what he did for us so that we could breathe free air, and all we did was torment him!

Lest we forget!

If ever you get the chance to see any of the old War Graves in Northern France, pop-in and have a look. Row upon row of little crosses. It will move you!

..........and I am not just remembering the Allied troops in my thoughts - all the men who were called up or volunteered to fight did so because they believed, or made to believe, in what they were doing. We are so fortunate to have lived through relatively peaceful times!

Back