Driving both motor cars of a multiple unit.

ray_whiley

I would like to drive both motor cars - one at the front, one at the back - of a multiple unit so that the train benefits from both on a steep gradient. (I'm thinking specifically of my simulations of the Paris Metro 'Classic' Sprague-Thomson rolling stock with a train consisting of motor car - three non-motored trailers - and a second motor car and a 1 in 40/2.5% gradient from sub-surface to ground, or ground to overhead. This is quite a challenge - as indeed at was on the prototype!)

Is this possible with manual control? I suppose it is the same problem as using a banker.

Advice would be appreciated.

Ray

Hi Ray,

So you want something like Motor car, trailer, trailer, motor car with both of the motor cars running at same time?

The if so, the answer is yes, they both do drive when you throttle up in cab mode as I built the Victorian Railways Harris Cars and they Run M-T-T-M-BT-T-M.

M = Motor Car
T = Trailer
BT = Backing Trailer (auto coupler 1 end)

Only if your running Steam or Diesel on same train they won't work together.

-Aaron

When driving with my Mk3 DVT's which are set up to be unpowered you get a push forward from the loco at the rear when you take power . So using a motor coach at both ends will work correctly .

So you want something like Motor car, trailer, trailer, motor car with both of the motor cars running at same time?

Yes, that's correct, Aaron - thanks for your reply, also to you nexusdj - it seems that what I need happens automatically as they are electirc units not steam or diesel, and there's no need to do any special configuration. That's a comfort! It also seems that for even extra power it would be possible to set up one of the trailers as motorised.

Ray

Back