Constructive criticism welcome. (Large Images)

nuni727

Hi all, I have been working on a route and have put up some screenshots. I wanted to have your opinions on it and any constructive criticism is welcome. It is located in the Mid-Eastern US.

a189bf737ab4d339dbf53e3dc3e0863e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8eab0d2cbafebe50736ab5e1a5c69205.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
99a2832286e2be0b179fa79c1c2f1bd9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
fd68535f9fa796b0ab2d25f18ddbfabb.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
43929b34fc27b8815c1611547bf3ba02.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
0b247b33a1d1568a714674bcff63352a.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Some more screenies. :wave:

5bd9406413274f53f6581eae70cfbe34.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
96899aa31c0c2f7e393e3f0a938a74ec.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
4547fad9ff649c9d36f5c6b45afbeaee.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
The iron ore mine at the right is called Brite Mining Inc. as my way of saying thanks to Chuck Brite (crb001) for his guide which taught me everything I know.
754d2879298866665c15891abc0395c9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
c758ad6f31e246c7cb0556b4b15e8611.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
6533cdb4dcab8361242ff5da95c3f4da.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Your track work looks to be well done.

Okay; constructive criticism: I sense the areas you have shown us are not finished scenically because there's no reason to have tall grass growing on the right of way if all the other grass in the area is golf course short.

Alot of route builders make extremely deep river channels, with 100's of feet of shear drop off chasim cliffs ... when in fact the Earth's topography is generally a gentle rolling landscape, with shallow river channels only a meter or so deep ... unless you are modeling the Canadian Rockies or Himalaya's.

Another great mistake is a backwoods rail line, that operated by cutting costs by every means possible ... but some modelers install concrete track in the backwoods, with hundereds of high tech turnouts and massively expencive trestles, taking up unrealisticly huge expances of land ... when in fact a RR only owned a 20' narrow path, and had precious little land to build on, and too little money to build with.

Last edited:
@Euphod: Yes, the trackwork is fully A.I. compatible and the turnouts are not too sharp. The route is signalled so that the A.I. will solve any problems and also prevents cornfield meets. Yes, I plan to put more grass on it but the grass that you spotted is on an abandoned siding.
@cascaderailroad: Actually, the story of the railroad is that it was an ex-Conrail line, then CSX bought it, then the LPRR(route railroad) bought it from CSX with the INRD and CSX having trackage rights. That would explain the Stone bridges and the non-rusty track. About the depth of the lakes, I think I'll take your suggestion and convert it into a modification, so to speak.

Thank you both for your responses.

It is a brave Trainzer who invites criticism.:eek:

I like the atmospheric good weather fog effect you have achieved, nicely fading into the distance.

Here are a few ideas on landscaping which I hope might be helpful. Apologies if you know all this already, but others might find it useful

First post.
Shot 1.
Put some “shadows” under the trees. A different texture, like a dark forest green, will do. Short bursts, on minimum radius, here and there under the trunks will transform them by anchoring them to the ground. Right now, they look as if they are floating because the eye has no visual reference as to where the ground is.

Shot 2.
The grey coloured cliff (I assume that’s what it is) could do with a bit of texture work. At present it is all one colour/texture and looks as if it’s set at the same radius and rotation setting. Hence the repetitive pattern. Try blending a second similar texture, and vary the radius and rotation setting of each. Apply randomly in short bursts.

Shots 5 & 6.
The water looks a bit too transparent. There aren’t many places in the world where you have that level of clear visibility to that depth. You could make the water shallower and paint darker texture, perhaps more than one, on the river/lake/seabed.

Shots 6 – grass.
This appears to have been painted in a single texture, with the rotation tool spinning. You perhaps need some visual variety by breaking it up a bit. The shot has around 25% of the image showing the same colour. The addition of a couple of extras could help. First, in addition to the “spun” texture, stop the rotation and give a quick dab of texture set on small radius, wherever it stops. That will blend a slightly more detailed texture than the spinning version of the same one. Repeat so that the rotation arrow stops at a different angle and splash another “non-spinning” very quick burst somewhere else. Repeat, with the scale changed. You can get some good effects that way and still only use one texture. It’s subtle, but often not enough on its own.

A second texture, applied sparingly could transform the bank. Try a different, more mottled texture and blend a bit in, just here and there, on the slopes. The one called “Oz dirt” works particularly well with the grass colour you are using and gives a more eroded look.

Shots with steep slopes.
Steep slopes and textures can be disappointing. There is a point at which a slope will distort the texture by stretching it out so far it loses its identity. A bit like stretching a plastic bag with an image printed on it.

Try adjusting bits of the slope in Topology using the Adjust height setting. Set Radius and sensitivity to minimum and pull bits of your slope in different directions. You’ll see changes to the realism of the texture. There is a point at which the angle of the terrain will look good, rather than appear like running paint.

Often, a very small adjustment can make a huge difference. When you have mastered the technique you can vary the radius and sensitivity to suit your needs.

Try it in wireframe occasionally where you will see that the point at which you do the “pulling” or “pushing” of the terrain will be very much effected by where you grab it. For example, if you grab it at a grid intersection, you will form a pyramid shape (on minimum radius) from 4 grid squares. Grab at the centre of a grid line and this will push/pull and deform 6 grid squares. Go back to normal view frequently to check the visual effect. After a while you can become accustomed to how this distortion method is behaving in normal view and can adjust the cursor position as you work.

Time for a beer I think.

Cheers
Casper
:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, actually what I did for the grass texture was to paint everything else and have the grass replace the grid texture. I will try all of the suggestions and who knows, I may release it.

On the shots near stations, (such as screenshot 2 or 4 on the second set) maybe have a few town buildings. After all there should be a reason for the existence of the station.

NZR LOCO"S

Ok the first thing you do is get rid of all those stupid looking loco's and use NZR Rollingstock and all is good

@glbotu: There is a small village behind all those trees that are connected to the station by a road.
@cvkiwi: I did mention that this is set in the MidEastern US right? Your post made me chuckle. :hehe:

@cvkiwi: I did mention that this is set in the MidEastern US right? Your post made me chuckle. :hehe:

;) That's the way to go with that kind of posts... chuckling chuckle... :D

I don't know what a nice
kiwi-bird-653053.jpeg
could do in the middle of the USA. :hehe: Maybe say
bye.gif
to the Appalachian fauna
cat22.gif

The chuckling side of Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
@glbotu: There is a small village behind all those trees that are connected to the station by a road.

But even then, there'd still probably be something there like a bar or a shop or even a few houses. (Stationmaster's house etc.)

Yes, there is a small community of about 16 houses, a police station, a supermarket, a warehouse and a thrift store and bakery duplex.

Back