Any Southern Railroad fans out there?

Timothetoolman

L.O.V.E.M.U.F.F.I.N
After recieving a request, I took some time to make this...

Southern4501.jpg

Now, for those who'll ask 'Can you do a green one' the answer is no, because of reason that I doubt many will understand (unless you are familiar with the texture mapping of Ben's USRA Mikado) it just won't work, and yes I have tried. Expect this one soon.

Timo

Last edited:
Hey, i don't want to push, but could you slap the Kentucky & Tennessee herald on the tender (If I'm not mistaken it's just "K&T" in yellow) and the number 12 on the cab? that's the railroad she was sold to in 1948 and, essentially, the reason she survived. Let me see if i can find some pics of her in those colors. be right back. :D

EDIT: found this:

kt12_post.jpg

and one more

ktloco12.jpg

Apparently the number and herald were reversed, so i take back what i said. Sorry to push, but i personally always thought she looked better in her grimy K&T days (...i hope the southern fans--IE SR6900--don't kill me for that)

Last edited:
OK, Q&A time...

How far Southern Timo??

I dont know, I'm not really an East Coast fans so I wouldn,t have a clue. Tennessie maybe?

looks as good as your Project Western stuff!

Well, it is from the same creator and I'm not slacker with reskins so you would presume that eh?

Yeah, I tried to make a green one once.

Yeah, it can be a b**** to get right sometimes. Best for Ben's models are to keep them black and simple.

Looks great man,cant wait.

Thanks. Hoboron (who asked for the request, even though I offered:hehe: ) has been kind enough for offer some recordings from some of his DVD productions, so expect a custom whistle with it:D

Sawyer,

We meet again on the prototypical stage:hehe: Well, I'll see what I can do with those K&T skins, but bare inmind that I have other stuff to do (like finishing up stage one of PW, releasing some steamers I keep putting off) so maybe gimmie awhile, and with the holidays (for here in Australia) are 2 weeks away, I should have ample time to stare at a screen to bring you pleasure:hehe:

Right, Q&A over, I'm making some noodles.
Timo

Yeah, it can be a b**** to get right sometimes. Best for Ben's models are to keep them black and simple.
Which is what Southern freight engines are supposed to look like. :p

Thanks. Hoboron (who asked for the request, even though I offered:hehe: ) has been kind enough for offer some recordings from some of his DVD productions, so expect a custom whistle with it:D

Just so you know, it already has 4501's whistle. (or it did when you originally downloaded it)

I have to ask, why a gray roof?

Cheers,
Ben

Which is what Southern freight engines are supposed to look like. :p

Somewhat like this...? ;) I've been focusing on my 1:1 scale models (630 and now the 4501) a bit more than V Scale...
f3e27331d6e775e124e8c13131fe2ee7.jpg

Just so you know, it already has 4501's whistle. (or it did when you originally downloaded it)

Well, I recognize that recording, it is 1401's whistle being run on the 4501 in 1966. They put it on there to have sound recordings for the 1401. It's sounds much different that the 4501's Princeton whistle that they recall hearing...

Also, note there are a few significant differences in the details between the USRA Light Mikes (Ms-1 on Southern) and Southern's Ms class (4501 and others...).

Which is what Southern freight engines are supposed to look like.
I don't know anything about the SOU RR, I only know limited west coast railways, Victorian Railways (Australia) and alot of British. I have no real clue what I'm acctually creating here:hehe:
Just so you know, it already has 4501's whistle
Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another one eh?:cool:
I have to ask, why a gray roof?
It's what I found in an image from the internet, but for all I know it could just be primer.
Also, note there are a few significant differences in the details between the USRA Light Mikes (Ms-1 on Southern) and Southern's Ms class (4501 and others...).
I'm aware it isn't the exact some designm but it's close enough. It's really just the tender that isn't super accurate.

OK guys, I understand that it's not the most prototypical locomotive, but it doesn't hurt to have some sort of representation eh?

Cheers
Timo

It's what I found in an image from the internet, but for all I know it could just be primer.

They didn't do gray, it's probably a highlight in a B&W photo. No red either, very rare occasion that they were red too. It was common practice for the windows to be red, might be something else to try.

I'm aware it isn't the exact some designm but it's close enough. It's really just the tender that isn't super accurate.

Well, not really. There's a lot more that just that, but perhaps it jumps out at me more since I see the real one almost everyday.

Sorry to Bump..Hey SR69 what do you think about my drawing of the #1398..Truthful Please..:wave:

Last edited:
Sawyer,

We meet again on the prototypical stage:hehe: Well, I'll see what I can do with those K&T skins, but bare inmind that I have other stuff to do (like finishing up stage one of PW, releasing some steamers I keep putting off) so maybe gimmie awhile, and with the holidays (for here in Australia) are 2 weeks away, I should have ample time to stare at a screen to bring you pleasure:hehe:

Timo

yeah, It's not like I'll die if i don't have it right this second, I just thought i'd ask. It was actually the announcement that 630 was going again that made me think about doing a K&T-ish coal route, which naturally led to "Hmm, we need K&T 12 aka 4501.":hehe:

ah well, i do like the 4501 you've done. I actually wondered why nobody had done this yet. She'll get good use on the WB&NW, maybe she'll even be caught lurking near a certain company on the route:hehe: :eek:

Update,

I re-textured the orginial map, making the changes some of you guys pointed out. Here is the result...
Screen1-6.jpg

Screen4-5.jpg

Screen5-6.jpg

Screen3-5.jpg

Screen2-6.jpg

Cheers
Timo

This thread was 4 YEARS OLD! Please look at the thread date before you post. And yes, it is in trainz, and its old...

There is no cut-off date for bumping a thread ... Wow ... Is that live, or is it Memorex ?
Without the bump we would not have seen that loco ... Thanks !
:cool: bumping threads with reckless abandon to common courtesy and Forum decentcy.

Back