A little Surveyor Noob requires feedback on his route (640x480 pic)

defacto

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any awesome Trainz Veteran that wants to spend a minute or so to give feedback? I have played UTC as a little kid, but it's just recently it took up route building again. The last month i have worked on this nice railroad that is going to include a Mainline, a few regional branches, some yards, a separate circular commuter line, and maybe even subways.

What you see is the Commuter Express line going trough central Greycloud on it's way up to Solrein Central Station. The Square is a major commercial node, but it's not finished yet and looks kinda deserted. That will be fixed later, along with all textures and scenery... up into the background, the rail descends on it's way to Greycloud Southern, and finally arches up on the Twin Bridge, heading over the Greycloud Striat.

More pictures to come :)

That looks great! I had the game for about 3 years (only able to download for 2 of those years) so I am not much of a veteran. I find my self more like a rookie or something like that. Keep up the good work! one thing of advice is, when applying textures, hold down the [ or ] keys to move the direction of the texture. It changes the texture from a uniformed straight looking path to a blended look. I say this now, seeing that you still have the grid texture there.

Looking good. Experiment with height adjustment and texture size, and you will be fine. You learn as you go so keep at it.

Josh

@Thad09: Thanks, i'll try that!
@stmsoccer: Thanks for the feedback! I thought of height too, makes everything come alive much better! I was on a bike ride out in the suburbs of my home city today and i noticed that farm fields was far from flat, so now i'm working to make rolling hills...

Twin Bridges. The one closest to the Camera is the Eastern Twin bridge for the mainline. The one away in the fog is where Commuter Express trains roll... The Greycloud Strait is heavily trafficated and yet only a few hundred meters wide. I wonder how the container ship made it trough...:hehe:

A Kilometer to the South of the picture in my first post. The big Apartment Complexes of Southern Greycloud ends abruptly with the greycloud Strait and Twin Bridge.

Very nice looking. :D ;) Keep up the great work! :D ;)

A note about spinning the textures as you apply them: Doing so works great for preventing repeating patterns in the texture, but also can blur the texture, making the details of the texture faint or even hidden. For this reason, expirement with different textures to spot the ones which look better when applied without spinning. This includes brick and tile, etc., textures, which I doubt would be blurred and rotated in all different directions all of the time. ;)

Regards.

2 New pictures!

The small village of Gara Wells still sees a lot of activity as a commercial centre due to it's proximity to Solrein City and the Commuter Express rail, that has it's station here. Just before this picture, the railway takes a sharp turn from going South-northbound to being west-eastbound. This picture is pointing towards the west.

Church and small river to the east of greycloud. Camera pointing to northwest. A 2 track regional railroad belonging to the company Eastern Central is heading to the station in the suburbs (background) and joins the Mainline a few kilometers ahead.

solrein4.png

Last edited:
Looking good, really good. As mentioned above, just spin the textures around to terminate that grid effect. ;)

Back