Authentic Cabs and Controls

rackman3

A main reason I got into "Trainz" was to experience the actual (authentic) controls from within old and new locomotives. So far I've been discouraged, after seeing a GP9 with an F7 cab and a DD40X with something other than a DD40 window and hood from within the cab (and possibly other controls). I can do research to see what should be in a cab, but I don't see much in the way of viewing a cab before I download. How best can I determine the authenticity of a Trainz loco's cab BEFORE I buy it? I suppose I can ask. Any other suggestions?

You don't have to BUY, check out some of the free ones on the dls.
The creators of loco's are getting very good at the detail on their models. :D

Go and have a look at the JointedRail website, they have some cab shots and their work is very high quality I do believe.
Look in the freeware section of this forum. ;)

Hi rack --

When I first migrated to Trainz from MSTS I, too, was rather disappointed by the quality and variability of cabs. I still not sure of the reason why - two possible explanations are that proper 3D cabs are a complex challenge and/or the modeller is more focused on the externals of the lococmotive and regards the interior as an unnecessary chore.

There, are, however, some excellent cabs available. It just takes some time to discover them. Then the easy part in Trainz is editing the config.txt file to substitute the good for the not so good.

If you do want to see what can be achieved in a steam locomotive, try the 57xx loco by Skipper1945. Search the DLS for "BR Class 57xx".

For diesels VMD did some outstanding cabs.

Phil

IMHO none of the cab views are very realistic, in North American locomotives anyway. The loco creators in other countries have us beat when it comes to cab views. Their's are pretty cool looking, they all look "used" and worn, and seem realer to my eyes. Sure, there are a few decent cab views in North American locos, but they're all squeaky clean--- i.e.--they all look like they've just come off the assembly line. I've been in the cabs of several EMD's and Alcos and there's always a "well worn" look about them, with scratches, stains, hand-written stuff on the walls, rust, etc. etc. We could really use some decent prototypical cab views for North American diesels.

I have re-skinned ALL my cab views to represent those one would typically see if they were sitting behind the throttle of an EMD locomotive. I weather them---add a little rust here and there---scratches around the door handles---a few signs and hand-written numbers--etc. I'm not too keen sitting in the cab of a 1972 SD40 with an interior that looks like it just came off the factory floor!

Dave

`

Coming up with an adequate custom cab that's not going to be picked apart is an extremely time consuming affair. Finding the information, pictures and data needed to put a custom interior together is nothing to be entered into lightly in my humble opinion. For those that are willing and capable of doing it, you have my admiration.

Mike

Thanks for the many responses. I mentioned "buy" because I assumed that approach would be the presumed way to get at the best locos, including the best cabs and controls. I'm still a ways away from the inner complexities of Trainz, but the thought of specializing in designing cabs is an interesting one. I have a programming and CAD background, so maybe I'll be there somewhere down the tracks. Thanks again.

Back