Tired of my first route

Chris2f8

I have started my first route/session last year in June. After many hours of building the scenery and adding as many things I thought were necessary, I am now tired of the same old scene. Due to my lack of skill in placing the right signals (I have tried to read as much on signals and placed some) everything might not work as was expected.

Is it possible to either make this "unfinished" available to someone else to complete and use or should I just delete it?

Chris2f8

Don't waste all the time and effort you've put in. Is it just the signalling or has boredom set in. If the latter give it a break for a while , might look different in a few weeks.
Trainz will run ok with minimal signalling, dont worry about that.

fran's right though if worse comes to worst, give it away or put it up somewhere and let others use it or work on it. And you never know, maybe it'll get completed or you'll want to come back to it. You wouldn't be able to do that it if it's deleted or unreleased.

I totally agree, I got bored with trainz all together and didn`t do anything with it for about 6 months due to what would be the equivalent of writers block and now I`m right back into it. Just set it down for a while and eventually you`ll feel like playing with it again.

If you post screenshots we might be able to help you figure things out.

Also if you sent your route as a CDP to someone, they might be able to rough things out, and send it back to you for your approval, so you could continue working on it again.

I usually have suffered from the same syndrome (new version of trainz, stay really excited for three or four months then get bored until the next version comes out) but this time with 2010 I decided to spend 30 extra dollars and get a copy of TransDem.

It has absolutely changed my perception of trainz and made it extremely fun to create a topographical map of some place that I have been, put the track down and run a train on it. I haven't completely detailed one yet (and may never do so) but I find when I get bored I go grab another area and build a map:D

If you were to put up somewhere I would be interested, not good at signalling but love the challenge.
I'd put the signals on a seperate layer to leave the route unchanged.
Rog

boredom

My sympathies...as for myself, I am like a kid in a candy store. I am building a route that's so huge that even my reasonably well-equipped machine may balk before I am through ;) By having such a huge layout (4,785 boards), anytime I get bored with doing one part, I can move to another area and do something else. I am also experimenting with the boats and planes that use invisible track, and seeing how I can incorporate a bit of each of those into this huge route as well. Once I get the general layout of things working, then I will add more scenery, usually paint. Using the great waterfalls and moving river objects, I've even managed a desert canyon with a rapidly flowing river. Admittedly, I've only been at this route for about 90 days, and may feel differently in 6 months, but so far, there's so doggone many things to do, I don't have time to get bored :D As for discarding your work, unfinished does not exist. Many a route that I have downloaded is incomplete, but that does not mean I discard it. Both your old routes, and those of others can provide you with greater insight on how to improve your next one!

Last edited:
Is it possible to either make this "unfinished" available to someone else to complete and use or should I just delete it? Chris2f8

Chris, can you please post some screen-shots? If it looks reasonable, I'm sure you will get many offers to either help you finish it, or they will finish it for you...

Cheers, Mac...

Never give up my friend its only a signal thing

Chris trainz 2010 is baaje goed man!
Do not waist it because of some unfinished things and show some picts.
I am working on my all unfinished routes since 2004 if that helps you and on and off I take a brake depending on the trainz version but 2010 does not give me a brake at all.
If it helps look at my latest thread 'Canadian Rocky Mountains 2011 and or Roy'z Canadian classics Vancouver/Calgary showing the progress and beauty of trainz hobby.
Awaiting your pictures adn hope things work out again for you

Roy

If I were you I would give some consideration to minimal signalling. It seems signals are not what you enjoy about Surveyor. All you have to basically do is place a signal on ONE of the TWO tracks that are about to join, tracks that are about to split really don't require signals. It's not prototypical, but if you look at placing signals as just the practice of protecting the consists from collision, then it's rather easy.

A route done and released this way can easily be changed by those who desire something more complicated.

As you've probably noticed, Chris. We all go through this from time to time.

Think of your first route as a real learning experience. You learned how to place signals, and tried different ways of doing it. They may not be correct now, but later on you could fixt them. Remember, as I've said in other posts, there's no waste of any materials. The signals were/are free, and no money wasted on anything. The only thing wasted was your time if you don't count this as a learning period.

The other good news is you could merge this route into an new one. I've done this, and have gone back to rebuilding and redoing secitions I really didn't like anymore, particularly after I had improved my techniques and found my first attempts, which I thought looked good, became awful next to the the latest sections.

There are a few things that you can do stirr up some ideas. Check out Bing maps and the Bird's eye view. Pick on a city and look at the rail yards and branchlines there are sections of various cities that I've included in my route through this. I'll trace a route and look at industrial parks, sidings, stations, and yards.

Look at books to get ideas.

When driving, take notes on the what you see. I've included some road sections into my route that are based on real places. Using Dem maps instead of manual terrain helps too if you're looking for a more prototypical landscape.

Speaking of DEMs, also look at old topomaps. These can be really useful especially if you're interested in recreating a line that no longer exists except for a few short feet of overgrown ROW. There are many lost branches were I live where only a short path exists today. In the turn of the 20th century, they were trolley lines and steam road branches that died during the depression or later when the highways went in.

John

I have suffered a heck of a lot from this in recent months.

I think the secret is definitely not to bite off more than you can chew. All of the train sims (not just Trainz) make it incredibly easy to lay 100km+ of track but a different story when it comes to flesh out the detail.

Best to work in short sections maybe 20 - 30km at a time, adding scenery to the track as you go rather than being left with a huge void to fill.

It's also worth adopting the mantra that each km of route you place scenery on is a chance to do what you do best, rather than an endurance test. (Sorry for unintentional rhyme).

Hi Everybody.
I have suffered a heck of a lot from this in recent months.

I think the secret is definitely not to bite off more than you can chew. All of the train sims (not just Trainz) make it incredibly easy to lay 100km+ of track but a different story when it comes to flesh out the detail.

Best to work in short sections maybe 20 - 30km at a time, adding scenery to the track as you go rather than being left with a huge void to fill.

It's also worth adopting the mantra that each km of route you place scenery on is a chance to do what you do best, rather than an endurance test. (Sorry for unintentional rhyme).

Vern is absolutely right in what he states there. I always work one frame at the time placeing the track and then adding all the topography, roads, hedges, buildings and other infrastructure.

I also do not use Trainzdem or any other software to lay the topography. I find that Google Street view can give you a much better " feel" for the area you are trying to re-create. Google Street view now covers most country roads as well as towns and cities.

A week or so ago I was trying to re-create the Blackmore gate station that used to exist on Exmoor. Using Google Street view you were able to get near to where the station existed by the views from the A39, By then rotating in the camera you were able to view the hills and valleys around the site as well as getting that " feel" of the area I was speaking about.

The above may not get absolute accuracy as far as the topography is concerned but it can get a much better atmosphere regarding how the area really is.

I know the rivet counters will crucify me for what I have said, but that's the way I do it and also the reason I do not upload my routes to the DLS

Bill:)

I want to upload a route I made, but how can I chage the Asset Category icon from 'Session' to the 'Routes' icon before I do? :'( No one has been able to help me with this yet...

Back