How to Upload Claimed DLS Items?

TaggartTC

New Trainz Junkie
After reading the announcement that faulty items on the DLS are open for repair, I have visited the public repair listing and "adopted" a few assets to fix. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss at how to upload the repaired assets properly. The announcement states "create a new KUID2 version using the original UserID and ContentID", but I can't figure out how to do this in CM3.3. Of course, when I right click on the downloaded asset, the option to "create new version" is grayed out since I'm not recognized as the original creator. Am I correct to assume that after editing the asset in CM3.3, I should then edit the config file in Notepad to change the KUID to KUID2, create an obsolete table, and then upload it? Even though I'm uploading using my user name and password, the system will still recognize the upload as a corrected asset under the original creators kuid since that is coded in the config?

Forgive me for asking such a basic question, but I want to make sure I get things right, without infringing any copyrights in the process!

Last edited:
Am I correct to assume that after editing the asset in CM3.3, I should then edit the config file in Notepad to change the KUID to KUID2

Correct.

create an obsolete table

This is unnecessary. KUID2 versioning will take care of everything necessary.

and then upload it? Even though I'm uploading using my user name and password, the system will still recognize the upload as a corrected asset under the original creators kuid since that is coded in the config?

Correct.

kind regards,

chris

While on the subject of KUID2 assets, i have a quick question to ask.

As I understand it, the assets are being updated to 09/10 standards, but do these have to be uploaded with the lowest supported build number, or is this process up to the person doing the updating, and dependant on the version number created in the updated config by CCP?

Thanks,

Matt.

Preferably the lowest acceptable Trainz-build - usually 2.7. That allows all supported Trainz versions to access the fixed content.

Curtis

As I understand it, the assets are being updated to 09/10 standards

Not necessarily. They're being updated to remove various errors that the modern versions of the games are able to diagnose, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they use TS2009/TS2010 features.

but do these have to be uploaded with the lowest supported build number, or is this process up to the person doing the updating

It's up to the person doing the updating. The only requirement is that the content passes validation during the upload. Unsupported content versions (< 2.7) will be rejected outright.

chris

While on the subject of KUID2 assets, i have a quick question to ask.

As I understand it, the assets are being updated to 09/10 standards, but do these have to be uploaded with the lowest supported build number, or is this process up to the person doing the updating, and dependant on the version number created in the updated config by CCP?

Thanks,

Matt.
Matt, I am using 2009 and CCP and it creates a 2.9 version, after checking it I then change the version to 2.7 and the kuid number. To finalise the kuid number I then import to 2010 and check it again (as I changed the version number).

So far they have all passed at 2.7 in both 2009 and 2010.

Craig
:):):)

Oh and do not forget to add a thumbnail, I did :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies and clarifications.

Chris, I wasn't to clear on the first point, hence the phrase "as I understand it." Clearly, I misunderstood it.:hehe::eek:

I suppose the only thing to do is download the assets I want and see what happens.

Cheers,

Matt.

I've noticed assets with a build number of 2.7 don't show in Surveyor, but they do in 2.9. They assets show as having no errors though with either build number and are placeable.

I've noticed assets with a build number of 2.7 don't show in Surveyor, but they do in 2.9. They assets show as having no errors though with either build number and are placeable.

I can confirm this. I just "fixed" 5 assets that happened to be by the same author. Three of the assets were originally build 1.3, so I updated them to be error free and modified the build number to 2.7. The other two were already build 2.9, so I left them that way after fixing the errors. When I went into Surveyor to check the results, none of the three assets that I modified to build 2.7 would appear when placed on the map in surveyor. Their names were selectable and appeared white, but the box was empty where the preview usually shows up. The 2.9 assets were fine. So I went back, changed the 2.7 assets to 2.9, and all was good in surveyor. If it matters, I'm using build 43361.

I found my repairs to some trees looked far better in 2.7 then in 2.9, so I suppose there may be some variables depending on the content being repaired.

Craig

I can confirm this. I just "fixed" 5 assets that happened to be by the same author. Three of the assets were originally build 1.3, so I updated them to be error free and modified the build number to 2.7. The other two were already build 2.9, so I left them that way after fixing the errors. When I went into Surveyor to check the results, none of the three assets that I modified to build 2.7 would appear when placed on the map in surveyor. Their names were selectable and appeared white, but the box was empty where the preview usually shows up. The 2.9 assets were fine. So I went back, changed the 2.7 assets to 2.9, and all was good in surveyor. If it matters, I'm using build 43361.

Something else is going on there. It's possible that using CM3.3 to update the configs is formatting the config in a way that is not correct for build 2.7. Personally I'm using this process:
  1. Open the item(s) for edit in explorer
  2. Copy the contents of the editing folder to a new folder (mine is on the desktop)
  3. Change the build to 2.7
  4. Increment the kuid2 number
  5. Add a thumnails container and thumbnail if not already present
  6. Correct the asset as required.
  7. Drag your correcting folder back into CM and see if the errors have gone away.
  8. Once you have got rid of all the errors, CHECK THE ITEMS IN GAME! Pay special attention to whether the object seems too shinywhen facing the sun. If you see too much shininess, use PEV's PM2IM with 'zero specular' to remove this effect.
  9. Once you are happy, select all of your corrected items, right click, and select 'save to CDP'
  10. Upload the file using the link from the DLS clean-up pages.

I suspect that your problem may be to do with the way the mesh file is referenced in a build 2.7 vs 2.9 asset. Avoiding CCP keeps the asset closest to the original.

Paul

I found some items that wouldn't show as build 2.7 (didn't try any higher builds). Adding a mesh table to the config did the trick.

Paul

I found some items that wouldn't show as build 2.7 (didn't try any higher builds). Adding a mesh table to the config did the trick.

Paul
Paul, I have that with a lot of items by one person and it did not matter if the build is 2.7 or 2.9, they still did not show. As you say though the mesh-table fixed the problem. This may be one thing for many to watch out for if something does not seem to work.

As I have been processing some items through CCP first and that seems to "strip" the mesh link out I have asked the Helpdesk if they can see why, so I can understand this better.

Craig

Can't change kuid or upload

Using CM3.3, I've tried to repair 2 different assets using Edit in Explorer. Made the corrections then manually changed the kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx to kuid2:xxxxx:xxxxx:1, saved and on commit got this error:
Error: Unable to commit changes to asset <kuid:9:50014> as the config file contains the wrong KUID
I put the kuid number back to the original and commited ok. Tried to upload but that's grayed out.
I tried to do the repair using CCP but it won't let me change the kuid number.
What am I doing wrong?

Bob

Once you change the KUID, don't commit it. Rather, drag and drop that asset's folder back into CM, which will import the new version. Then, in CM, revert the original asset.

Hope that helps!
Curtis

Back