Canadian Rocky Mountains 2011

a question please ( I am not into routes yet ) - are snow covered routes heavier on the frame rates in a game , all that snow on top of the existing scenery ?

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that the snow you are seeing is a texture. Some textures and objects are seasonal, so it's not really anything "extra" added. More that it's the same model (with different texturing) that you see. In that sense, there wouldn't be a difference.

In theory, I would argue a snow covered route would be slightly easier on frame rates, since there would be less textures, but it depends on how many are used, the pixel size of the textures being used in each, and the objects being used. That being said, I'm predicting Roy will say that frame rates are pretty much the same, or slightly better in the winterized version.

Snow or not, Roy's representation of this area is great!

Gisa

@stouthm well yes spring,summer fall have more colors but snow has many details too and a lot of work to put into work in trainz at the exact right spot. Since we here have winter what we call temp drop to last night 26C or 80F that is what we call chilly and still green and leaves fall too and grass get dry and yellow but overall its green all year around so my instinct from my European roots still tell me remember winter snow,sleet,cold, dirty snow,sludge you name it. Kind of love it to see an feelthe chivers on my back and neck from the cold spell. Soon the weather here will change for the worse and temps will drop at night to sometimes 15C or little lower coz of the mountains in the back, loooove it.
@Jan snow textures not make it more heavy just if seasonal replace the other texture and depending on the weight of the texture size etc it could technically be more heavy. In general no difference for me smooth riding in any season at 5k draw distance.
@Gisa thanks for the help out on snow textures and how to.

trainz 2012-10-23 06-03-05-28.jpg

trainz 2012-10-23 06-08-06-66.jpg

trainz 2012-10-23 06-10-30-40.jpg

trainz 2012-10-23 06-32-42-66.jpg

Roy;)

Last edited:
No need to thank me Roy. :) Glad to hear that the framerates are great in both seasons. Like always, great shots!

Gisa

@gisa,

Fps Dx is average 33+% faster than Opengl although Nvidia tends to prefer Opengl and generate better visual quality far away with trees. Dx is running more than smooth no doubt!
Maybe I have to do more tweaking but tend to spent the time on other things more important now.

Roy;)

By no means am I an expert on FPS or on which is better. :p I use an ATI card myself, which in theory means I should stick with Direct X. I use it and am pleased with the FPS I get from my ATI card. For sure, work on what you think is necessary. Looking forward to more shots. :)

Gisa

The beauty of this is simply unspeakable its wordless its cannot be described of anyways. Great Awesome, magnificent, Cool, Amazing drolling name it :D great job like always guys!

good monring we are late I know

@ekanal Eric thank you very much!
@64warhorse thanks buddy
@Bobcass haha we guess like the temple here near us..
@Cabuse wow makes our day,week,year :hehe:

Ning, Roy n Djoetje:wave:

Brilliant work Roy and Ning! I haven't started adding snow to those other models yet, but I will as soon as I am able!

Dear Ed,
wow thanks buddy but you know when we hit F12 to many times we both sit afterwards and sift like pro's:hehe: selecting images and both say WOW this one from the first moment is a real good one and today the last 2 are those kinds, many more to come dear Trainzer fiends we hope this inspires about TS12 an good portion of time and guts is all you need to get started (not finish that is a different level and 9 lives like a cat).
don't worry about the snow roofs and windows etc thanks a lot for considering doing it!

warmest regards,

NIng, Roy n Djoetje:wave:

Nings pick for today and homage to all waiting

Ning 's saturday very late 6:30 am go market ouch we overslept!:p

Anyone else this bug when selecting an icon or write/correct and than try to post an image it hangs and have to safe the darn post.....over and over again.

trainz 2012-10-24 09-13-08-89.jpg

trainz 2012-10-24 09-13-13-38.jpg

trainz 2012-10-27 06-53-46-72.jpg

trainz 2012-10-27 06-57-08-31.jpg

As all can see the last snow is slowly melting and winter season is over:hehe:
Pofig can you make or let ME make some for you, some real nice heavy snow trees or winter versions like in medal of honor forgot what scene but have one scene with heavy snow perfect for this!
Lucky me anywhere in the world to my observation trees are only snow covered after blizzerd or snow fall and wind/sun will fast shake them trees but true some trees should have a winter look darker less needles and other typical winter hybernating stuff, but for me I am more than happy what dear trainzer friend POFIG provided us with.
Go pofig go .........for some wintertreezzzz lol give me temp a copy of your speedtree license and i will make them i know how just not have the tools at the moment.

you all have a great weekend I wait for Ning bringing veggie from the market for Djoetje for the day and check my posts:eek:

Last edited:
Dunno - I kinda like the green-and-white look!

Where I live the snow falls and covers the trees but a couple of days later wind and rain has knocked it all to the ground. The snow can be a meter deep underneath, but the trees are un-covered. Maybe Canada is different...

Andy ;)

Hi Roy, those crossing baords are so neat and everything is so detailed , I always battle to line them up properly.
How about a shot or two with the snow falling please :)

Dunno - I kinda like the green-and-white look!

Where I live the snow falls and covers the trees but a couple of days later wind and rain has knocked it all to the ground. The snow can be a meter deep underneath, but the trees are un-covered. Maybe Canada is different...

Andy ;)

Where I live, we never get snow. I can only get it in the screenshots.:'(

Keep up the great work!

Back