Some questions about TransDEM

ApproachMedium

Youtube dude
So there's been a lot of talk around this forum about TransDEM, and it's certainly peaked my curiosity. I'm definitely interested in the software, but I am a total newbie when it comes to this, so I'd like to know if it's even worth it for me to invest in the software.

The Maine Central has been my rail road of choice for just about 10 years now, and I've done a few small N scale layouts of it. Since I now have no space in my tiny New York City apartment, I'd like to dig in and really model the RR I love as close to the real thing as possible.

I'd really love to cover as much of the route as possible. Sounds ambitious, I know, but my idea is to only use key areas of the real deal so as to create a smaller scale model of the system, or just do the whole darn thing if it's possible. But that aside, is there even data available for me to create this route? I'm not asking anyone to go out and find it for me, but rather to drop a few links so I can do some research myself. I don't even know where to look for that kind of info, nor do I even know what it's called.

I have track charts and schematics for the entire system, end to end, so I wouldn't necessarily need some kind of Google Earth overlay. All I'd need I guess is the track path and roads and such. Although, a Google Earth view would be beneficial I suppose.

I know some data must be out there because Fishlipsatwork made a few DEM HOG maps of a few sections of the MEC. Essentially that's what I'm looking to do, but on a much larger scale. It's a model I'm willing to invest a lot of time in.

Any information that could help me get started would be great. Just a few links to sites that may possibly contain the data for such a project would be splendid.

Thanks

-Joe

G'day acbdfaqoz,

Given the 'mere pittance' 24 Euro (I think, some US$30.00) being asked for TransDEM, Joe, you would be well advised to give it's purchase much consideration. Also given that the route you want to create is an American based one, one needn't be bothered to learn a great deal about the topographical nature or workings of TransDEM, because most of the data you will require (and ALL of which is readily available for FREE) can be 'automatically' downloaded and processed via TransDEM (once you come to grips with the method - easily accomplished because of the excellent tutorials supplied by 'the good doctor' with the program), with much alacrity - at about the rate of 100 miles of terrain over a day or two, at a time...

...despite the above 'comments', I must state that I have no connection with the program (other than being a satisfied customer) nor will I make any monetary gain from making such comments)...

Jerker {:)}

TransDem is a great program. I produced a Dem Map for a section of Dover, DE without really reading the manual in less than an hour. Even this caveman can use it.

Harold

Thanks for the input so far.

My biggest concern is if there is in fact data floating around somewhere for me to use, and how to even find that data.

-Joe

G'day acbdfaqoz,

Concern thyself not with such trivial matters, Joe. Indeed, if I did not imply in my previous response that ALL the data you require is available (and is FREE - I know this having created numerous US based routes using TransDEM)), then I have stated quite clearly in this one that it is so...

Jerker {:)}

I have used it myself for about 50 miles of the Pittsburgh branch in north central Ohio. Probably would not have done it without transDEM.

I use googe for closeup snapshots of the route. Feed those into transDEM and convert to UTM.Then I connect to one of the mapping servers, I beleive terraUSA for farther out pictures with TransDEM. Then I download DEM data from Seemless.USGS.gov and feed that into TransDEM. Then output to trainz.

I definitly recommend doing small sections. I started with a town and took enough snapshots to go about halfway to the next town. (They are close here)
Lay track, some scenery then produce and merge the next town/section into Trainz.

I do use the tiles because it make it quite easy to place scenery and track. I tried Autolaying the track but ended ripping it up and placing my own.

Highly recommend the program for any serious prototyping.

US data is available and free. Even track vectors (albeit not perfect) exist. Transdem will be the best money you will ever spend (outside of the cash you laid out for trainz that is):hehe:

Well you've all convinced me. Just ordered my copy of TransDEM and am anxiously awaiting my download link.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the data I need to get my monies worth.

-Joe

Hopefully I'll be able to find the data I need
I'm sure you will. There are many here to assist you.

You major geo data resources have been named: NED DEMs from USGS Seamless Server, raster maps online from MS Research Maps (former Terra Server) via the TransDEM WMS client. Ortho images (Aerial photography) via the TransDEM Map Tile client or the semi-automatic way with Google Earth and placemarks.

Well you've all convinced me. Just ordered my copy of TransDEM and am anxiously awaiting my download link.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the data I need to get my monies worth.

-Joe

You won't be sorry. You'll find a lot of help on the forum, and the support is the best in the world. I just stated building my fourth route using TransDEM.

If you're not already aware of it, TransDEM has its own forum here: http://forum.transdem.de/

Good luck, Joe

Thanks for the help everyone.

Downloaded my copy earlier today and have been trying to learn it all day. I've done the tutorials, but as I figured, I'm having a very hard time finding usable DEMs. I've searched google and found no useful links. I've been to geocomm.com which doesn't seem to have any DEMs that TransDEM can read. I've been to the USGS site which doesn't really give any information about where to obtain DEMs, it just seems to say they have them. I've been to EarthExplorer.com which seems like it'd work, but I can't figure out how to produce a DEM that TransDEM can read.

What am I missing here. Is there some server address I'm supposed to plug into the TransDEM software to obtain usable DEMs or what?

-Joe

The amount of information provided can be overwhelming.

For US routes the recommended DEM resource is USGS NED. Downloadable from Seamless Server in 1 arc sec or 1/3 arc sec resolution. For a first route I would use 1 arc sec to get acquainted with the data.

More info: TransDEM main manual, p 20,
or here: http://forum.transdem.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20&sid=1aa96a849c63d41f6b422a226512c989

Important: Switch to GeoTIFF as the download format. There will be a pop-up window where you can modify your request. The data will be packed into a zip archive which you unpack manually after downloading. Inside the package you will find a .tif file. That's your GeoTIFF DEM which TransDEM will be able to open.

Awesome! Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea why I couldn't find it.

Another question. If I'm going to do a 100 mile stretch of track, but I'm going to do a little at a time, how do I know where to create my DEMs? What I'm trying to say is, if I make a 25 mile square DEM and import it into Trainz and finish all that and I want to do another 25 mile square DEM how do I know where to clip the DEM so it matches. I understand how to merge routes in Trainz, so that's not what I'm asking. I guess the question is, should I just create a gigantic DEM then slowly import it into Trainz a few miles at a time?

Also, when using WMS, how do I get it to map out another area? It seems to default to the center of the screen.

-Joe

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea why I couldn't find it.

Another question. If I'm going to do a 100 mile stretch of track, but I'm going to do a little at a time, how do I know where to create my DEMs? What I'm trying to say is, if I make a 25 mile square DEM and import it into Trainz and finish all that and I want to do another 25 mile square DEM how do I know where to clip the DEM so it matches. I understand how to merge routes in Trainz, so that's not what I'm asking. I guess the question is, should I just create a gigantic DEM then slowly import it into Trainz a few miles at a time?

Also, when using WMS, how do I get it to map out another area? It seems to default to the center of the screen.

-Joe

I am sure there is a better answer, but here is mine: On the seamless server, you have to select an area (via rectangular mask and you can zoom in or out) that you want. As far as getting it exact, I have had to "trial and error" it, by selecting an area, d/l'n the DEM then opening it. I am interested if there is a more accurate way. (I was searching for a DEM that covered my tri-state area Philly NJ, and Delaware. It took me about 4 hours lol.) A problem of mine may that that I'm reaching too high. I finally obtained it, through the merging of two DEMs. It is starting to look quite nice. Good luck to you and welcome to this fabulous program!

Another question. If I'm going to do a 100 mile stretch of track, but I'm going to do a little at a time, how do I know where to create my DEMs? What I'm trying to say is, if I make a 25 mile square DEM and import it into Trainz and finish all that and I want to do another 25 mile square DEM how do I know where to clip the DEM so it matches.
Almost everything in TransDEM is based on geo coordinates. A second downloaded DEM will match the first, if taken from the same series and as long as you stay in the same UTM zone. You use the "Add DEM" function in TransDEM and the DEMs will be seamlessly merged, even if they overlap. (This would also work across the border to Canada, with Canadian DEMs, in a similar manner.)

There is a limit to this approach: available memory. Longer routes should be split up into modules, to be merged in Trainz Surveyor. Again, this is a seamless action. Due to the underlying geo coordinate concepts, TransDEM retains a static mapping between its native UTM coordinates and Trainz baseboards. Within the same UTM zone all baseboard edges will have reproducible coordinates.

I understand how to merge routes in Trainz, so that's not what I'm asking. I guess the question is, should I just create a gigantic DEM then slowly import it into Trainz a few miles at a time?
I would recommend three or four modules for your 100 mi route.

The coordinate preset in the WMS dialog always reflects the center of the TransDEM main window, correct. You can zoom in and pan in the main window to change center coordinates. You could also enter coordinates for WMS directly, theoretically.

It's much easier to use an overview map. One option is the 1:500k via WMS, as shown at the beginning of the Durango & Silverton tutorial (page 113, TransDEM main manual). Another option is a Map Tile service, tutorial on page 130.

In TransDEM you can combine raster maps from different sources.

For further questions I suggest to move to the support forum: http://forum.transdem.de/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=3dcb001d4c551b02069f89a1f59fe0cd

Well, thank you so much for all the helpful information. I appreciate it greatly

For anyone thinking of purchasing this product, DO IT :cool:! It's really not that hard to use once you figure out where to find your data from. And the results are fantastic.

Once I figured out where to find the DEMs and other info, the software was quite easy to make work. Didn't take me more then a few hours to learn it.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. This was money well spent!

-Joe

Alaska?

Can you get info to make a route in Alaska, for ex out of Skagway?
Or in Norway around Stavanger or Bergen?
Thank You!

Last edited:
I've been using the Microdem/Hog process for maps but I'm ready to move on to Transdem. Here's my deal,

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I can't figure out how to give it to goephil. As far as I can tell there is no way to order it from the site. Does he mail it to you or can you download it from his site?

Go to the site and click on the "order" tab to the left. At the bottom there is an email. Just send an email to the address saying you're interested in purchasing TransDEM for Trainz. You'll get a response shortly with directions on how to pay.

-Joe

TIGER/Vector Data

Thanks Joe.

I'm sure any experienced TransDEM user will know this.

I've been creating routes for a few years with the MicroDEM/HOG method but I recently purchased TransDEM for the added features and have read through both pdf docs that came with the software.

I'm a little confused about the data used by TransDEM to mark rail lines, roads, water, etc for the US. Is this data the same as TIGER data? I've seen the term vector used several times in the pdf's but not the term TIGER. Do I find vector data the same place I find TIGER data?

Back