Meon valley

I too have used a combination of track plans and layouts - more with an eye to memory rate - a 1930's, 40's or 50's trackplan combined with 19th century town/village plans means less 'dressing'. Have you seen my 'sussex' range of buildings on the DLS and those recent editions by shoves very useful for the period setting.
Also if you are not too much of a stickler for the period/date accuracy there are a couple of additional loops and sidings that were added during the 39 - 45 period as temporary measures.

I seem to recall having seen trains crossing the viaduct at West Meon - I went to school at Westbury House (early 60's) - my parents ran The George Inn, in East Meon.
BTW can you send an e-mail as your contact address in profile is inactive.
Keith

ps Sorry can't have been the West Meon line it was closed by the time I was at Westbury

Last edited:
I seem to recall having seen trains crossing the viaduct at West Meon - I went to school at Westbury House (early 60's) - my parents ran The George Inn, in East Meon.
BTW can you send an e-mail as your contact address in profile is inactive.
Keith

I know the pub well Having sung there over much of my 27 years And I only live in horndean. know own/manage the bluebell wood in clanfield off north lane.

ttfn

MEON

is the Edward Griffiths book of 1970 any use?

Met him once when I was in Farnham MRS in the old Maltings when I was about 14, he was quite elderly then...He lived near where I was brought up..

Horndean, did some summer work there with a tree surgeon when Gales was still one of the best breweries around, what happened the Queens Head in Farnham is now a Fullers pub...

The original George Folk club was started by my Mum! With groups such as the Spinners and artists such as Jasper Carrot in early years. I think I know the wood - has it still got a badger sett?

The original George Folk club was started by my Mum! With groups such as the Spinners and artists such as Jasper Carrot in early years. I think I know the wood - has it still got a badger sett?

Use to sing there with morris sides such as VIctory morris, King johns and Knockhundred shuttle.

We have an out lying bager sett that is sometimes used if you want to know more about the wood have a look at the web site http://www.bluebellwood.wesnetservices.co.uk/

ttfn

first beta

Hi all I have sent out the first beta vertion I think this will be a long process but here is a description of progress so far.

stations: track layout complete with some buildings (still need some made)
goods yards: No goods industries so far just track marks for test perposes.
signaling: compleat for testing needs work
ground form: some done but it will be a long process if any one has any ideas other than the track method of contour creation them pleas post
texturing: track and yards done still working on other areas

the route is in 2006 and the cdp for e-mail is about 3mb

ttfn

Last edited:
Hi all I have sent out the first beta vertion I think this will be a long process but here is a description of progress so far.

stations: track layout complete with some buildings (still need some made)
goods yards: No goods industries so far just track marks for test perposes.
signaling: compleat for testing needs work
ground form: some done but it will be a long process if any one has any ideas other than the track method of contour creation them pleas post
texturing: track and yards done still working on other areas

the route is in 2006 and the cdp for e-mail is about 3mb

ttfn

As above with the following alterations
Total regig of fareham goods yard (thanks to the pictures of brance list to alton)
ground form I have decided to go for the slege hammer approach and use the general hight tool and then smooth it out at a later date.

I fully intend to send out beta 03 (02 is before my revam of fareham so nu) so if any of you gents are still interested I will mail you with and up date as soon as I have got the magority of the ground heights sorted.

ttfn

Im back nearly

Hi all after a long time away from train I hope to be back soon (TM) not only have I been moving in with my wife to be but I have been doing real life stuff and lots of web design work for various groups.

I hope to Reinstall may PC within the next week or so and then Look at the newer versions of Trainz tc3 or 2009 any comments most welcome.

I will then look at all my old roughs again with the hope that the new features will bring much more life like projects.

ttfn kester

will be back soon

Hi all after a long time away from train I hope to be back soon (TM) not only have I been moving in with my wife to be but I have been doing real life stuff and lots of web design work for various groups.

I hope to Reinstall may PC within the next week or so and then Look at the newer versions of Trainz tc3 or 2009 any comments most welcome.

I will then look at all my old roughs again with the hope that the new features will bring much more life like projects.

ttfn kester

Hi all I have rebuilt my PC and downloaded TC3 once I get it working and find all the missing bits (if i find all the missing bits) I will get back to it again.

ttfn kester

Hi Kester.

Welcome back!
Some of us oldies are still here. I am just getting my brain-box (both cells) around the new 2009 - seems to be heaps better than 06 with few of the niggles that marred that version.

Keith
tkeithmat

Hi Keith, I have just treated myself to TC3 Still falls over but hay ho at the at price any how I am looking at 2009 but I think the verdict is still out at the moment.

will gat back into this route soon (TM) I hope but havint to relearn Trainz again

ttfn and Merry christmas

Kester

MVR. layout in the works

Hi everyone,
Not sure I should be ressurecting this thread as I am new to this forum.
I am currently in the process of constructing an 00 layout of which a good part will represent the Meon Valley Railway from Wickham station to Mislingford goods yard.
I was born and raised in Hampshire, and spent most of my childhood in the Wickham area. We lived in Shirrell Heath. As boys we often walked to the line, going through the copse and up on to the tracks at the bridge over the River Meon. We would then walk the line , either to Wickham, or to Mislingford goods yard. This was in the 1960's. Although the line was no longer used, we actually saw a diesel loco and one coach heading from Droxford towards Wickham. To this day I don't know why it was there, but it almost ended up in the siding at Mislingford due to some naughty boys who changed the points, but stayed around long enough to hear the train coming, and just managed to change them back again before the train got there. It was moving quite slowly.
Well my question is , does anybody know which locos, and what was the makeup of trains on the Meon Valley Railway in the 1930's ? As this is the era that I am modelling.
I know that M7's with Pull Push were used after the war.
Many thanks,
Chris

No problem

Hi Chris,
to answer your question the most common goods tender engine seams to have been the t9 although any engine could have run the line as it was built to mainline standard although only single track. if you want more information on the line the best bet it to get hold of a copy for some of the following:

The Meon Valley Railway by R.A.Stone

Branch lines to Alton by Middleton press

The Meon valley railway Revisited by Denis Tillman

In my opinion the first book is the bible of the line and the best loved in my collection I have been recreating the line in trainz for a number of years but am still trying to get it working in trz classics. if you are interested send me a private message with you E-mail and I will send a copy of the basic file over (note its a big file) :cool:

hope this helps kester

Hi Kester,
Thanks for the info. I already have the books you mentioned. They are excellent.

Any idea where I might find details about the buildings of the Meon Valley Timber Co., which were close to the goods yard at Mislingford? Do you know if logs was brought in by rail and finished timber sent out by rail at Mislingford during the 1030's ?

Do you know if there was any other industries in the area that would have used the goods yards at either Wickham or Mislingford ?

I will send you a PM with my email address, as I am intersted in what you have worked on.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Chris

runing in classics

For those that are still interested I is now running in tc i have given up with trz2009 as much of the content is older stuff, I will look at the signal work on the root an carry on with the topography work if any one is still intrested I will send out a new beta at some point.

ttfn kester:Y:

I understand the TC3 signal logic is superior to 2009 anyway, may be a good choice for you.:)

John

Hi i am new to this forum. I was searching for photos of Knowle signal box as i was a signalman there in the 1960s just before they closed the box . i have photos of Fareham east inside and out where i also worked and Fareham west. I may be able to help with some information if i can remember ? regards John

Hi i am new to this forum. I was searching for photos of Knowle signal box as i was a signalman there in the 1960s just before they closed the box . i have photos of Fareham east inside and out where i also worked and Fareham west. I may be able to help with some information if i can remember ? regards John

Hi john, welcome to the forum.

this has been a long running project which I hope one day to complete and put up on the Download station (DLS).

are you a trainz user? and if so which version do you have??

regards kester

Back