Meon valley

kester

As I am working on this route again I decided to bring this one back from the dead.

for this not local to Hampshire (UK) the Meon valley railway ran from Fareham to Alton. although it was originally inteded to be main line it was never doubled leaving some interesting problems for the trainz creator.( e.g. double bridges with single track over them etc)

The stations and goods yards on the line from south to north (fareham to alton) where, Funtley brick works and meat yard, Knowle Hospital (south bound only for both platform and goods siding), Wickham station, Mislingford goods station (entered north bound only), droxford station (for Hambledon), West meon station, Privett station, Tisted Station, Farriongdon goods yard. As with many country lines most of the stations had goods gards and in the case of the meon valley these were quite large (2-4 lines).

of course the main downfall as with many of the country lines was that the stations were not always in the village centre. in the case of Privett station it was quite a way from the village.

The lines main clame to fame was that during the D-day landings Droxford station and the cutting to the south of it where used by the leaders of the invations as a safe place to stay over night as the cutting was deep and surounded by trees.

The line closed as early as 1955. Today the southern end of the line from Knowle juction is used as a foot path running 11 miles to West meon station.

I know others have been working on this line and hope they will join in this thread. If any of the many talented content creators are intested in creation or should that be recreating some of the bridges and other lineside fixtures of the meon valley then please post an maybe this time the route may just appear on the DLS.

Last edited:
progress so far

I have been using the Base mape sections from the DLS to help me recreate the line.

So far I have managed to get the track layed and some ground form between fareham and wickham, with track layed to Mislingford goods station.

Sounds like I better get my butt moving for my planned layout, the West Coastway from Barnham to Havant/Portsmouth/Fareham (including Farlington, Cosham and Portcreek Junction). When/if I start it, fancy doing a colaberation at all? I'd be interesting to back date the layout.

What year are you basing the layout from? (I am planning a Post privisiation layout, but also maybe another from the 1920s, due to the Selsey, Midhurst and Hayling branches.).

Kester
I am currently working on a layout - although based upon geography as used in the books of Agatha Christie - that is located adjacent to yours essentially the mainline Southampton via Winchester to Basingstoke and parts of the GWR Winchester - Didcot and the Andover branch to Romsey and Southampton and the Alton branch from Winchester to Alton.

Although I used to live in the area many moons ago (East Meon) I now live north of London and access is somewhat limited. So I am using a combination of OS Maps, OS Old Maps (available via OS website) and the photos in the relevnt volumes of the books by Vic Mitchell and Keith Mitchell (Middleton Press) BTW they are based in Midhurst.

How are you referencing the contours in your topography? I am using the OS countours (approximatly) therefore I take 0 (baseboard) as sea-level a hill such as St Catherines near Winchester given as 97 metres at the trig point is set at that height on the route.
I am aiming for an essentially steam era mid-30's to post-war/early 50's.

Will you be doing anything with Droxford station reflecting its vital role during the war in the period leading up to D-Day? ie the secret meetings on Winston's train with DeGaul and Eisenhower?

Keith Matthews

HI all

great what a lot of Questions:D.

1. hi Russell sounds good I did start work on the Chichester to midhurst Branch but 2004 kept spiting the dummy but I did intend to move it over.

I tend to work in pre Beeching period as I have an interst in the old branch lines of the south.

2. as I think I put above the line runs from fareham stations to alton.

3. I would be intersted in teaming up one some of my other inteded projects but I will post another thread on the Middy (midhurst branch lines) soon. *edit: here is a link to the post
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=4029#post4029

4.I use the os maps scanned in to trs and use the apropreate hights form 0> I have tried to learn hog but have little time atm.

Im glad that there is interest in this project and hope to get it progress although I am haveing problems atm with tennis elbo:rolleyes:

Last edited:
some help

Kester
Although I used to live in the area many moons ago (East Meon) I now live north of London and access is somewhat limited. So I am using a combination of OS Maps, OS Old Maps (available via OS website).

Keith Matthews

Hi keith can you give me a little more infomation on where to find the info you talk about as I have just looked and have strugled to find info.

thanks kes

Droxford (for Hambledon)

Next station Droxford for Hambledon all change for Hambledon.

I have finaly reached droxford station on my quest. this stations main claim to fame is that during the lead up to D-Day Churchill and the other leaders stayed in a train in the cutting to the south of the station as it is deap and easy to protect.

ttfn

2 bits of news

Hi all I ahve 2 main bits of news:

1. I have managed to scan all the map areas needed for the line son can progress as an when time allows

2. I have reached West meon I still have to put in the goods yard etc but the line is looking good if I can get the line to a stage where it is usable eg track down signals in I may be looking for beta testers the map will be in trs2006 as 2004 kept falling over on me.

at present I have some landscaping done but this is the long term part of the project unless some is a wiz with landscaping and willing to help me on the project.

progress a pace

Privett and tisted reached in good order I have put in some signaling to test the line but it sill needs work as does the land scape I have also put in a tempory viaduct at west meon Hears hoping that some kind harted creator can come up with the goods:D

*now reached farringdon and alton via butts junction just got to signal it and then the land scape needs doing if any one is intrested in beta testing it drop a note and I will try and work it out*

ttfn

Last edited:
Major update

Hi all,

I now have a new book with more detail of the line and its goods yards I also hope to have soon(TM) an archeological survey of the goods that the line transported.

the new book I have has a detailed diagram of the west meon viaduct so if any on is interested I will E-mail it to them.

ttfn

Meon

This project looks great.

I was down there last week and had to cut from Alton to West Harting and went under a huge embankment near Selbourne I think with a small tunnel in effect for the road, dramatic stuff.

There's quite a few earth works left, used to follow it down when I had to work in Fareham.

I dig around and scan some pics if that would help.

Alton re created as a 3 way junction....

I have the Branch lines from Alton book which has some pics, and related a tatty copy of the Griffiths history of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway [quite a tale that one] and saw a few remaining bits at Herriard..

Ralph

Exiled Southerner

This project looks great.

I was down there last week and had to cut from Alton to West Harting and went under a huge embankment near Selbourne I think with a small tunnel in effect for the road, dramatic stuff.

There's quite a few earth works left, used to follow it down when I had to work in Fareham.

I dig around and scan some pics if that would help.

Alton re created as a 3 way junction....

I have the Branch lines from Alton book which has some pics, and related a tatty copy of the Griffiths history of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway [quite a tale that one] and saw a few remaining bits at Herriard..

Ralph

Exiled Southerner
Hi Ralph,

first off great signature:D

As I have live in the area for all of my life and have steam in my blood trs is like a dream come true I have been working on lots of the local branch line over the years and this is my favorate as I crossed it many times on my way to college (sparsholt) and to se my girlfriend in Bishops Waltham.

if you have any pics I would be interested to see them, I am also near needing beta testers if I can work out how to package it up will need to remove the maps though or you will know as much as I do (der kester walks of looking confused):D:D.

with referance to the Basingstoke Alton line that is another one I am eyeing up I have put in Alton park and the Trelor siding as they fall into the Butts junction map square.

ttfn

meon valley

Privett and tisted reached in good order I have put in some signaling to test the line but it sill needs work as does the land scape I have also put in a tempory viaduct at west meon Hears hoping that some kind harted creator can come up with the goods:D

*now reached farringdon and alton via butts junction just got to signal it and then the land scape needs doing if any one is intrested in beta testing it drop a note and I will try and work it out*

ttfn

Hi kester I was born and raised in Corhampton and Droxford and can vaguely remember using the Train to get to Shool at Fareham.
I have a picture of my Grandmother greeting some royalty and dignitaries at Droxford station.
As kids we played in the goods depot at droxford, and often scrounged a ride in the various shunters, dared each other to climb the windmill gantry which was used for drawing water for the trains and station.
If you need any local information on the Meon Valley I'd be happy to help.
I am totally new to Trainz and this forum as you probably can tell ( why has my writing gone blues) but if I can help drop me a line.

infiniti.

Hi kester I was born and raised in Corhampton and Droxford and can vaguely remember using the Train to get to Shool at Fareham.
I have a picture of my Grandmother greeting some royalty and dignitaries at Droxford station.
As kids we played in the goods depot at droxford, and often scrounged a ride in the various shunters, dared each other to climb the windmill gantry which was used for drawing water for the trains and station.
If you need any local information on the Meon Valley I'd be happy to help.
I am totally new to Trainz and this forum as you probably can tell ( why has my writing gone blues) but if I can help drop me a line.

infiniti.

WELCOME to the forum infiniti.

thanks for the offer I have the basic layout so any detail that people can give is of great help:D

just for an extra bit of info atm I am leaving the industry's out and just puting in track marks as this reduces the size of the file for sending out. the final vertion will ofcourse have industries. if any one else is local and has knolage of the line or the 2 mainline stations (Fareham and Alton) then please drop us a post. when I am happy that the basic route is ok and I have it packaged up (know where did I put that packing tape:D) I will post asking for beta testers all may apply and if you are local all the better.

ttfn

Meon Valley

Some pics found to add to the interest...This area really has some fine Countryside [damned fine pubs too] shame it so so costly to live there these days....

Anyway the Viaduct would be a major task for TRS, I am sure there is quite a bit more in my stack of books somewhere.

The Treloar's siding lasted many years after the Basingstoke and Alton, I have to say my lad still enjoys the Oh Mr P
orter film where Cliddesden was fixed as an Irish backwater..

I am a loon for lost causes, My father apparently took me to Longmoor Open days before I could remember [shame that] and I am still working on Bordon and some bits of the Hollywater loop..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330650005/0
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330659241/2
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330674082/4
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330649534/3
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330650005/0

Cheers

Ralph

Some pics found to add to the interest...This area really has some fine Countryside [damned fine pubs too] shame it so so costly to live there these days....

Anyway the Viaduct would be a major task for TRS, I am sure there is quite a bit more in my stack of books somewhere.

The Treloar's siding lasted many years after the Basingstoke and Alton, I have to say my lad still enjoys the Oh Mr P
orter film where Cliddesden was fixed as an Irish backwater..

I am a loon for lost causes, My father apparently took me to Longmoor Open days before I could remember [shame that] and I am still working on Bordon and some bits of the Hollywater loop..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330659241/2
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330674082/4
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rdrberry/album/1152921504628823744/photo/294928804330649534/3

Cheers

Ralph
hi Ralph there seems to be a problem with the photos Yahoo says no:D.

Longmoor is another one of my old projects I have new maps (tom me printed in the 60's so I may have another go there is a book on the longmoor military railway I would suggest looking in the libary as it is worth a few bob hence the fact that the scanner came in a bit handy when I had it out last time.

ttfn

Meon

Sorry forgot to get the right setting.

I managed to get a reasonable copy of the LMR book by Ronald and Carter and have Branch Lines to Longmoor a really good one, Lines around Alton is good.

There are some collections out there that have some photos one sees from time to time but I have no ifea how to get to them.I also have a well kid viewed St Trinian's Video and the Ivo Peters video..

All I could see the other week was the cutting near Bordon and the track line used by the main road still used by tanks the rest its seems is due to go as the Army relocates up this way.

I can scan the pages you need, I do have some stuff up from a while back.

I had tried to nudge PAUL OF Pauls Trainz to do Brussels and have lots of good pics of her as she is only up at Howarth.There are however several Austerites out there and the SECR coaches if made into blue would be perfect.

Cheers

Ralph

Exiled Southerner

Kester
Are you using 2006?
I have nearly finished the first sections of my fictional layout based on the geography in Agatha Christies Marple novels. The real life setting is the Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh - Southampton (SR) and the GWR line to Winchester Chesil line I have built in the branch line junctions at Eastleigh and north of Winchester. If you would like to have a look I could send you the CDP file with a view to integration of both projects.

BTW - If you are doing Droxford you have a good excuse for running the LMS Royal train on the line. However you will need three or four rather well known figures for the platform - namely Churchill, DeGaulle, Eisenhower, Montgomery who met there in '44.

Keith
tkeithmat

Kester
Are you using 2006?
I have nearly finished the first sections of my fictional layout based on the geography in Agatha Christies Marple novels. The real life setting is the Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh - Southampton (SR) and the GWR line to Winchester Chesil line I have built in the branch line junctions at Eastleigh and north of Winchester. If you would like to have a look I could send you the CDP file with a view to integration of both projects.

BTW - If you are doing Droxford you have a good excuse for running the LMS Royal train on the line. However you will need three or four rather well known figures for the platform - namely Churchill, DeGaulle, Eisenhower, Montgomery who met there in '44.

Keith
tkeithmat
Hi Keith,

Yes I went over to 2006 as 2004 kept haveing hissy fits at the least provocation. Your project sounds interesting I was thinking in the long run of intergrating the alps (Aka the Water cress Line) and the basingstoke light railway or atleast making them as addons. if you can drop me an e-mail with cdp I would be very interested. On point on the Agatha Christie conection looking at one of Poirot films they used the watercress line but dressed it up as the GWR except to the real trian nut it was a bit esy to spot.:D

I was aware of the 44 conection as it is mentioned in 'the meon valley railway' by R.A.Stone. one of the problems I have is that to add a little interest I have used track layouts from the broad rang of the 50 years that the line was in existance.

ttfn

Back