The Canadian Pacific Railway in the Mountains of British Columbia, Canada

Winter on the Mountain Subdivision

snowequipmentatfield.jpg

Snow removal equipment at Field, British Columbia.

The Canadian Pacific Railway and the prevailing winds from the west have four mountain ranges to contend with
crossing British Columbia, Canada. The railway skirted the relatively low Costal Mountains using the Fraser and
Thompson River valleys, cross the Monashee Mountains, the railway via Eagle Pass, and then encounter their first
real barrier, the Selkirk Mountains. In Rogers Pass, elevation 4,360 feet (1330 m), annual rainfall in 24.2 inches
(615 mm) and snowfall 30.6 feet (932 cm). To cope with this amount of snow the original route of the railway in
Rogers Pass passed through 31 snowsheds in a distance of 21 miles (34 km). Several snowsheds were 1,000 feet
(333 m) to 2,000 feet (666 m) in length and the aggregate length of all 31 snowsheds was more than 5 miles
(8 km). Avalanches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNU1GCos77c were, and still are, almost a daily occurrence
in winter. Avalanches are also a challenge in the Kicking Horse Pass of the Rocky Mountains.

The Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountain Subdivision: Field to Revelstoke (MBC 2010 TS 12) is in the process of
being recreated in all its winter splendor. Pictures may be viewed as they become available at:

http://www.doug56.net/MBC_2010_TS12_Route_Winter/

The winter route will be posted to the website shortly.

Cayden

Last edited:
All I can say is that I am amazed at the countless hours you put in to have such a lengthy route but more than that we can feel the height of the Rockies and the wilderness of the area as we are driving along.

Thanks for sharing such a work!

MBC 2010 TS12 early fall and winter

All I can say is that I am amazed at the countless hours you put in to have such a lengthy route but more than that we can feel the height of the Rockies and the wilderness of the area as we are driving along.

Thanks for sharing such a work!

Hi CBorg,

Thanks for the compliment.

I am currently finishing up some minor improvemnts to MBC 2010 for TS12 (removing sirgibby assets, making the snow capped mountains look better in map view, adding lineside view cameras, etc.). I am also redoing the route for TS12 in winter. Hope to post both shortly to my website. In the meantime I am posting pictures as I complete the winter route See post in this thread and link to website:

http://www.doug56.net/MBC_2010_TS12_Route_Winter/

Then it is on to recreating the route circa 1887 (MBC 1887), two year after it was constructed. My plan is to include some of the interesting history of the route in those early years along with comparison to 2010, i.e. MBC 2010. To bad one can’t post more of the actual picture of the route from the early years, but most are copyrighted.

I created the route using good weather fog and bad weather fog set at 0.2 for two reasons. First, as other have pointed out to me, the mountains in the distance take on a “star” spot appearance when fog is set to 0.0, which is not very appealing. Second, and perhaps more importantly, using “fog” creates the hazy effect in the distance, which is present much of the time in these mountains.

Cayden

I know this was posted in 2011, but if that's the case, then why isn't it available?

froobie: Nice shots by the way.

Thanks!

I believe it is still available. I know of another 'Trainzer' who recently purchased one from Paul's Trainz. I did note that it is not shown on his, Paulz, web site :'(

cheers,
--michael.

Upper Illecillewaet River Valley in winter

24illecillewaet750.jpg

Illecillewaet, British Columbia.

25lookingeastfromilleci.jpg

Looking east from Illecillewaet, British Columbia.

26snowshedwestofflatcre.jpg

Snowshed west of Flat Creek, British Columbia.

27macdonaldtunnelwestpo.jpg

West portal of the Macdonald Tunnel (bnsf50 asset).

28glacierandthewestport.jpg

Glacier, British Columbia and the west portal of the Connaught Tunnel (bnsf50 asset). Jordan Spreader (bnsf50 asset).

29mountsirdonaldcenterr.jpg

Mount Sir Donald with the west portal of the Connaught Tunnel in the foreground.

30lookingwesttowardsrog.jpg

Looking west towards Rogers Pass. The interpretive centre is in the centre of the picture right of the
Trans Canada Highway.

Cayden

Last edited:
Beaver River Valley

31eastportaloftheconnau.jpg

Exiting the east portal of the Connaught Tunnel.

32eastportalofthemacdon.jpg

East portal of the Macdonald Tunnel (bsnf50 asset).

33westportaloftheshaugh.jpg

West portal of the Shaughnessy Tunnel and bridge (bnsf50 assets).

34shaughnessyviaduct750.jpg

Shaughnessy Viaduct (bnsf50 asset).

35stoneycreekbridge0175.jpg

Stoney Creek Bridge in distance.

36stoneycreekbridge0275.jpg

Stoney Creek Bridge.

37beaverrivervalley750.jpg

Looking north in the Beaver River Valley.

38lookingeasttowardssix.jpg

Looking north towards Six Mile.

39sixmile01750.jpg

Six Mile, British Columbia.

Cayden

This layout truly captures the beauty of the British Columbia mountains and the tracks that the Canadian Pacific must use to negotiate these white-capped boundaries. I applaud you for a great layout and wish you lots of luck, especially since mountain ranges are hard to make in any rail simulator.

UpperColumbia River Valley

uppercolumbia01750.jpg

The upper end of Kinbasket Reservoir where the Beaver River flows into the Columbia River, 322 miles
(518 km) north of where the construction of the 801 ft (244 m) Mica Damn, completed 1964, created it.

uppercolumbia02750.jpg

Heading west from Beavermouth Siding.

uppercolumbia03750.jpg

North of Donald, British Columbia in the Columbia River valley.

uppercolumbia04750.jpg

Donald, British Columbia, once a Division point on the Canadian Pacific Railway.

uppercolumbia05750.jpg

Donald, British Columbia, once a Division point on the Canadian Pacific Railway.

uppercolumbia06750.jpg

Heading south up the Columbia River valley north of Golden, British Columbia.

Cayden

Golden, British Columbia

golden01.jpg

Golden coal yard looking south.

golden02.jpg

Golden coal yard refuelling facility.

golden03.jpg

Golden coal yard looking north.

golden04.jpg

Westbound past Golden, British Columbia.

golden05.jpg

Golden looking east towards the Kicking Horse River valley.

golden06.jpg

Heading east out of Golden up the Kicking Horse River valley.

Cayden

Cayden: You are doing what most people want to do..You are without a doubt One of best Artist in Trainz..I envy what you are doing..Good Luck in all your endevors..

Lower Kicking Horse River Valley

lowerkickinghorse01.jpg

The lower Kicking Horse River Valley east of Golden.

lowerkickinghorse02.jpg

Westbound towards Golden in the lower Kicking Horse River Valley.

lowerkickinghorse03.jpg

Snaking through the lower Kicking Horse River Valley.

lowerkickinghorse04.jpg

West of Leanchoil, British Columbia.

lowerkickinghorse05.jpg

Along the banks of the Kicking Horse River.

Cayden

Upper Kicking Horse River Valley

field01.jpg

Approaching Ottertail Siding in the Kicking Horse River Valley.

field02.jpg

Looking south along the Ottertail Diversion.

field03.jpg

West end of the Field yard.

field04.jpg

Field, British Columbia.

field05.jpg

Snow removal equipment on standby in Field.

field06.jpg

Avalanche east of Field.

field07.jpg

Crew finishes up clearing an avalanche after reopening the main line.

Cayden

Back