The Canadian Pacific Railway in the Mountains of British Columbia, Canada

MBC Update: East to West #9518 heads west from Stephen to Field

http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/MBC/

“East to West” follows the progress of #9518, a 100-car unit grain train hauling grain from the prairie provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta to the port of Vancouver for shipment to foreign markets.

This is the first leg, Stephen to Field, British Columbia. Featured are the Kicking Horse Pass, the Spiral Tunnels and Field. Field was once a bustling division point with a large round house and services for the helper locomotives added to eastbound trains to help them up the steep grade to the Kicking Horse Pass. On the westbound run helper locomotives helped break the train on the descent.

Enjoy!

Cayden

Videos are in Apple Quicktime (.mov) format

Hi joosten,

Videos are in Macintosh Quicktime (.mov) format. If you haven't already done so, you will need to download the free Quicktime player from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

When one goes to the movie pages, the movies do not start automatically. Instead the scrubber bar should appear at the bottom of the screen. When you are ready, click on the triangle on the left end of the bar to begin. You can also click and drag on the scrubber bar to any location in the movie once it has downloaded. I could set the movie start automatically upon opening the page but the I would lose the scrubber bar control.

Cayden

The "Old Bridge"

Hi northcornice,

The “Old Bridge”, as you may know, is still there. Here is a photo of it I took when I was up there in 2007. Turning 180° and looking west in the second picture you see the Trans Canada Highway following the route of the “Big Hill” with its 4.5% grade.

Google recently photographed the Trans Canada highway, which parallels the Canadian Pacific’s mainline through the Kicking Horse Pass and Rogers Pass. You can go onto Google maps a have a look at the Old Bridge and the route of the highway down the Big Hill. Some locations are visible from the highway of the Canadian Pacific’s mainline. For example, at the lookout you may notice that the upper entrance to the Lower Spiral Tunnel is clearly visible. However, when I was there one could hardly see the lower entrance for the trees. I have reflected that in my representation of the view from the lookout.

Here’s a picture of the truss bridge, known as the “Old Bridge”, taken in 1890:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hill

Here are my pictures taken in 2007:

kickinghorsepass1.jpg

By cayden at 2011-03-25

kickinghorsepass2.jpg

By cayden at 2011-03-25

Cayden

Last edited:
Shushwap Subdivision

Hi kdescente,
Sounds like your route, the Shushwap Subdivision from Kamloops to Revelstoke, will compliment my route, the Mountain Subdivision from Revelstoke to Field, nicely. I believe joosten has almost completed the Laggan Subdivision from Calgary to Field. I have no plans to extending westward from Revelstoke. Rather, I would like to create yards, e.g., at Calgary and Vancouver, to feed trains via portals into the route.

I would like to get the MBC 2010 to the point where it can be released including some scenarios to run with it. Then, I would like to work on earlier versions, 1887, 1906 and 1935.

Field and Revelstoke had substantial railroad facilities in the age of steam, which I would like to represent, e.g.:

Field had stone roundhouse
http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Gene...ery/Buildings+and+Bridges/Profiles/NS2749.htm

Constructed in 1884, it was later enlarged to accommodate the larger motive power and increased traffic over the steep grades of the "Big Hill" east of Field.

There were, of course, also some spectacular bridges in the Beaver River Valley in the early days, notably:

Mountain Creek Bridge
http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Gene...llery/Buildings+and+Bridges/Profiles/A341.htm

Surprise Creek Bridge
http://souleweb.ca/Photographs/cjp032.jpg

Stoney Creek Bridge
http://souleweb.ca/Photographs/cjp033.jpg

I would also like to add historical notes for those not familiar with the line and, perhaps, even write some tutorials for beginners to get them up to speed on some aspects of Trainz that took me some time to discover or master.

Cayden

Last edited:
videos now up and running

Hi joosten,

Videos are in Macintosh Quicktime (.mov) format. If you haven't already done so, you will need to download the free Quicktime player from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

When one goes to the movie pages, the movies do not start automatically. Instead the scrubber bar should appear at the bottom of the screen. When you are ready, click on the triangle on the left end of the bar to begin. You can also click and drag on the scrubber bar to any location in the movie once it has downloaded. I could set the movie start automatically upon opening the page but the I would lose the scrubber bar control.

Cayden

thanks for the detailed exploit but I am sufficient in installing and using just your website was not working at all yesterday and the day before.
When I started you videos today it worked normal and well.

May i compliment and congrat you on your undertaken on your Field Revelstoke sub. Its very nice and i enjoyed the flight very much.
You have a different approach of making the layout which probably fit most type of computers where mine is almost exclusively designed and made for better and high end ones.
Can i ask what draw distance you use (I guess 5k) as I see same trouble with far distance texture blob and squares not rendered but funny and great side effect when running plane flight in hazy conditions it gives a hamilton atmosphere and makes even the rocky textures look like rain clouds just after rain fell.
Why you not try some more trees rather than just close to the tracks it gives more volume (and yes weight) to the route but that is a personal observation without having any intention of being critical not at all!!

Like your website and historical details as you know a lot more about the route than I do and live closer and your fellow countrymen help a lot too I see.
I am alase limited to what I see on google and or Bing or by accident find some archives with details I need to know or could be helpful. All the rest is plain creativity and never give up attitude to finish finally these sections.

Yes I have the Laggan Sub winterized version in a far detailed version 70% ready but still have a lot of work again in Calgary.
I did 2 years ago the entire Calgary main yard(s) very detailed and good looking but stopped after so much idiot trouble from that program and wish I could import these yards into trainz would save a lot of work an details I forgot I made work very very well I remember

On and off I work now also on the Vancouver Langley section all depending and waiting for more progress on certain capabilities of trainz and object missing or not working properly.

Vancouver is looking spectacular even at this unfinished moment (see my thread canadian rocky mountains 2011) and agree Trainz 2010 is even with all the not working things or blocked draw distance view still a sound piece of train simulator with a good future ahead.

The Mission to Kamloops is hibernating and ready for 60% just have to exchange many old textures which are much much better now.

Kamloops to Revelstoke only track is done but that is the most work when I see the experience I have now with detailing and texturing (can go by times very fast)

So as you can see a lot in the pipeline and a lot already done.

Nice about this all is that all our Canadian friend out there with similar plans like you and me can IPortal connect the routes at any given time and share our hobby.

Thanks for sharing your stuff and very very nice website but please put again some images like you did before (they seem all gone ).

To end with what fps you have average on this route?
Mine I strive for 17-30 fps range but with 8,2 km draw that is no surprise and very good result.

have a nice day Cayden

Roy;)

hm, seems you are also making a canadian pacific steam era route, 1935. the era of the royal hudsons. Seems like i find more and more routes that need rolling stock packs, i might have to start charging, but it's still free :hehe:

-AJ

More Trees?

thanks for the detailed exploit but I am sufficient in installing and using just your website was not working at all yesterday and the day before.
When I started you videos today it worked normal and well.

May i compliment and congrat you on your undertaken on your Field Revelstoke sub. Its very nice and i enjoyed the flight very much.
You have a different approach of making the layout which probably fit most type of computers where mine is almost exclusively designed and made for better and high end ones.
Can i ask what draw distance you use (I guess 5k) as I see same trouble with far distance texture blob and squares not rendered but funny and great side effect when running plane flight in hazy conditions it gives a hamilton atmosphere and makes even the rocky textures look like rain clouds just after rain fell.
Why you not try some more trees rather than just close to the tracks it gives more volume (and yes weight) to the route but that is a personal observation without having any intention of being critical not at all!!

Like your website and historical details as you know a lot more about the route than I do and live closer and your fellow countrymen help a lot too I see.
I am alase limited to what I see on google and or Bing or by accident find some archives with details I need to know or could be helpful. All the rest is plain creativity and never give up attitude to finish finally these sections.

Yes I have the Laggan Sub winterized version in a far detailed version 70% ready but still have a lot of work again in Calgary.
I did 2 years ago the entire Calgary main yard(s) very detailed and good looking but stopped after so much idiot trouble from that program and wish I could import these yards into trainz would save a lot of work an details I forgot I made work very very well I remember

On and off I work now also on the Vancouver Langley section all depending and waiting for more progress on certain capabilities of trainz and object missing or not working properly.

Vancouver is looking spectacular even at this unfinished moment (see my thread canadian rocky mountains 2011) and agree Trainz 2010 is even with all the not working things or blocked draw distance view still a sound piece of train simulator with a good future ahead.

The Mission to Kamloops is hibernating and ready for 60% just have to exchange many old textures which are much much better now.

Kamloops to Revelstoke only track is done but that is the most work when I see the experience I have now with detailing and texturing (can go by times very fast)

So as you can see a lot in the pipeline and a lot already done.

Nice about this all is that all our Canadian friend out there with similar plans like you and me can IPortal connect the routes at any given time and share our hobby.

Thanks for sharing your stuff and very very nice website but please put again some images like you did before (they seem all gone ).

To end with what fps you have average on this route?
Mine I strive for 17-30 fps range but with 8,2 km draw that is no surprise and very good result.

have a nice day Cayden

Roy;)

Hi Roy (joosten),

To address some of your comments and questions:

I have been designing the route pushing the limits of my computer without knowing how it will perform on other computers. I am using a 24” Intel iMac running Trainz in compatibility mode with Windows XP on a Bootcamp partition. Compared to the previous PC I was using the iMac runs Trainz quite well. Can’t wait till the Mac version of Trainz is released!

I am not sure what the frame rate is (fps) – never looked. I’ll have a look when I get a chance.

Yes, I prefer to view the route at the maximum viewing distance of 5,000 m. My experience with visiting the area is that it is often hazy. Thus, I set the Good Weather Fog and Bad Weather Fog to 0.02. This helps with “texture blobs and squares” in the distance but does not eliminate them.

Being my first route and concerned about overdoing the number of object to the point of degrading performance, I elected to be “traditional” and not extend the tree and detailed scenery too far from the tracks. My experience would agree with your comment that I should try placing tree up onto the slopes of the mountains. I am impressed with how well your route looks with tree going to the horizon. Dermmy’s East Kentucky 3 also looks great in part for the same reason.

It would seem to me that large numbers of tree do not slow performance appreciably. On the other hand, complex track work, such as in yards, and numerous rolling stock, particularly open car like coal cars which can be loaded, do. Too bad, as the yard south of Golden is a classification yard servicing coal trains arriving from the coalfields to the south. When I saw and photographed it, the rolling stock was almost all open coal cars. The large shop I believe is a car repair shop. Getting back to the point. I will try placing tree on the mountain slopes and see how it looks and works.

Although I live closer to the mountains of British Columbia I don’t get to visit often. So, I am also left to surmise how something should look or what it is. I do have the opportunity to peruse the many books on the Canadian Pacific Railway in the local library. I am presently pondering what the factory/warehouse is at the old Illecillewaet town site. I saw it when I passed in 2009. I presume it likely has something to do with the forest products industry but I am not certain.

Someone asked why I don’t have any still photos on the website. I removed the previous ones I posted because they were taken when I was still using Speed Trees. I’ll post some more on the website as I get a chance to take them.

Cayden

Last edited:
More pictures

As the MBC 2011 route (The Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountains Subdivision: Field to Reveltoke British Columbia, Canada) nears completion here are some more photos. Additional photos can be viewed at:

http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/MBC/ >Photo Albums

Enjoy.

Cayden

rogerspass06.jpg

Rogers Pass

revelstoke04.jpg

Revelstoke

illecillewaetvaley10.jpg

Illecillewaet River Valley

goldensouthyard05.jpg

Golden South Yard

golden02.jpg

Golden

eaglepass08.jpg

Eagle Pass

columbiarivervalley05.jpg

Columbia River Valley

beaverrivervalley12.jpg

Beaver River Valley

Last edited:
Good to see you back Cayden

very pleased to see you back on the forum Cayden!!!
love your website and picts and especially your investigation in history and actual story about CPR and CNR.
Great job congrats

Roy

Cayden: You are doing some mighty fine work..Are you an Artist??if I may ask..How high are you doing your Mountains??Allot of your work has good Depth of Field..

Cayden: You are doing some mighty fine work..Are you an Artist??if I may ask..How high are you doing your Mountains??Allot of your work has good Depth of Field..

No I am not an artist. But I consider virtual railroading, indeed, all model railroading to be an art form. Just have a look at the famous Gorre & Daphetid (http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/G&D/) to see what I mean. Or, for a virtual railroading example, Dermmy’s East Kentucky 3 (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=238&page=54&highlight=east+kentucky+3).

I have tried to achieve perspective (depth of field) by actually modeling it. Despite what some consider a limitation of the depth of field of Trainz (5,000 m), I have found that it can actually look quite good, as seen here at Greeley in the Illecillewaet Valley east of Revelstoke:

greeley.jpg

By cayden at 2011-08-16

On average, my MBC Trainz route models 4 to 6 baseboards to either side of the track, and in some areas much more. Here, for example, is the area around Field and the Spiral Tunnels:

kickinghorsemountains.jpg

By cayden at 2011-08-16

I set Rogers Pass (elevation 1,330 m) as “0 m” for my MBC Trainz route. That means that Revelstoke (elevation of 450 m), the lowest elevation on the route, is – 845 m while the Kicking Horse Pass (elevation of 1,627 m) is 298 m in my Trainz route. The mountains, of course, tower much higher. Mount Cathedral south of Field (elevation 3,100 m) is 1,842 m on my MBC Trainz route while Mount Burgess to the north of Field (elevation 2,500 m) is 1, 230 on my MBC Trainz route.

In the Rogers Pass I decided to move the mountain ridges in to one-third of their actual perpendicular distance from the track or in the case of the 2010 version of my route the #1 highway, which traverses the pass. That means, for example, that Mount Rogers north of the pass (elevation 3,100 m) is 619 m on my route while Mount Macdonald (elevation of 2,770 m), through which the Connaught and Macdonald Tunnels pass, is 400 m on my route.

From a mountain climbers view point Rogers Pass, with a DHL semi (circled) heading east on the #1 highway, looks like this:

dhlmountaintop.jpg

By cayden at 2011-08-16

However, when viewed at ground level, as intended, it looks like this:

dhlvalley.jpg

By cayden at 2011-08-16

One achieves the wished-for perspective as seen, for example, in the mountains to the right of the highway in the distance.

The result is also a lot of vertical displacement. Track grade in the Illecillewaet Valley is up to 1.5% while in the Beaver River Valley it is 2.2% most of the way. And, of course, the Spiral Tunnels in the Kicking Horse Pass were built to reduce track grade from 4.5% on the “Big Hill” to 2.2%. Displacement on the MBC, from the lowest elevation (Revelstoke) to the highest elevation (Mount Cathedral) is almost 4,000 m. But that’s mountain railroading!

Cayden

Cayden: Thanks allot for the explanation..Very interesting reading and seeing..You know everytime I work on my Trainz I always think of how I did things on my HO layout..Compressed Modeling..You can achieve allot in one scene if you do it right..Thanks:wave:

Tainz on Mac

Cayden : I Hope its not out of topic. I enjoy your tutorial for surveyor and your fantastic MBC. I'm working on Mac I was able to find workaround for the main differences in your tutorial with the PC version. But one think I can't find is the way to change the field of view. Adding a line with -surveyorfov=100 in the settings file has no effect?
Does anybody have experience (recent !) of Trainz Mac and have find a solution ?

Back