The Canadian Pacific Railway in the Mountains of British Columbia, Canada

Cayden

Trainz PC, iPad and Mac
I am starting this thread to feature my interest in the Canadian Pacific Railway and their crossing of the Rocky Mountains and Selkirk Mountains of British Columbia, Canada.

The project, the Canadian Pacific Railway in the Mountains of British Columbia, Canada (MBC), was started in January of 2009 with my acquisition of Trainz 2009 and has since been ported over to Trainz 2010. The intent is to model the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountain Subdivision from Field in the Rocky Mountains, over Rogers Pass in the Selkirk Mountains, to Revelstoke, a distance of 127 miles. The addition, east of Field, of the Kicking Horse Pass from Stephen at its summit and, west of Revelstoke, the approach to Eagle Pass in the Monashee Mountains brings the total distance to 150 miles.

Topographical maps from The Atlas of Canada and base maps have been used to reproduce the mountain ranges. I have maintained distance and elevation except for the summit of Rogers Pass where I found that it looked better if I brought the peaks heights down, and distances from track in, to a third of actual (Trainz does have its distance viewing limits). Track has been laid circa 2010 for the entire route, rough scenery completed, and addition of detailed scenery commenced working west from Stephen. As detailed scenery is completed I will post pictures on my website (http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/MBC). You can also now view the region thanks to Google’s photographing, and posting this past year, the entire route of the Trans-Canada Highway, which parallels the Canadian Pacific main line through the Rocky and Selkirk Mountains of British Columbia.

I would like to represent the crossing of the Rockies and Selkirks at four periods in time. This should be facilitated by having to complete the terrain only once.

The first time period, 1887, is dated shortly after the route was completed in the late 1885. Originally the route actually went through the Rogers Pass and had 31 snowsheds in 9 miles, which I will feature (Colorado71’s snowsheds, particularly KUID 387564:379 and KUID 387434:380, will come in handy here!). This time period will also allow me to feature the spectacular wooden trestle bridges which were, at the time, the largest wooden structure every build. Van Horne, the General Manager, was impatient and going bankrupt, so used the readily available timber rather than building more expensive cuts, tunnels, or iron bridges. On this route I will also feature the Rogers Pass station in its original location, which was destroyed by an avalanche in 1899, and the spectacular double loop containing four magnificent trestles just west of the pass. In the Kicking Horse Pass I get to model the famous Big Hill with its 4.5% grade.

The second time period, 1910, will feature Rogers Pass at the turn of the century after the station was moved to it’s new, less avalanche prone, location. When I visited the Revelstoke archives two summers ago I was fortunate to obtain the track plan of the Rogers Pass station and yard circa 1909 (thus my choice of 1910). On this route I will be able to add industries, notably mining and logging concerns. If I am fortunate to obtained information and track plans of the actual locations and I will incorporate this into the route. I plan to also incorporate the track at Revelstoke, which originally lead down to a wharf on the riverbank (track plan obtained from the Revelstoke archives). In the early days steam wheelers came up river as far as Revelstoke to transport supplies south to mining concerns on the Arrow lakes. However, since they could not ply the Columbia River in the fall and winter when water levels were too low, a short, 25-mile branch line was built in 1893 to the head of Upper Arrow Lake, which I will feature in this second time period.

The third time period, 1935, will feature the age of steam, after the completion of the Connaught Tunnel in 1916. Bridges will be upgraded to stone and steal. The steal arch bridge, which traverses Stoney Creek exists already in Trainz (kuid 109522:32104). It will also feature the sizable roundhouse and yards at Field and Revelstoke used to service and turn helper locomotive added at these locations to get trains over the passes. These yards at Field and Revelstoke will provide the opportunity for interesting yard work, even though the bulk of train movements will still be transcontinental through-traffic to and from portals at the end of the subdivision.

Finally, the fourth time period, 2010, will be post construction of the Macdonald Tunnel, opened in 1988. I am presently using Google maps to create the existing double track and yard locations as best I can. Unit trains will be feature in this era. The Canadian Pacific Railway has double tracked roughly half of the route, which leaves 13 section of single track to make operation interesting.

There also is now a large coal staging yard on the south side of Golden, which will also be featured. This provides a nice location for staging yard work in the middle of the route. This will provide for yard work of a different kind. One of the things I like about Trainz is the open-ended (endless?) possibilities.

If all goes well I will probably release the route in stages. Not sure at this time whether 1887 will come first followed chronologically by 1906, 1935 and finally 2010. I started the project focusing on 1887 but found I like running 100 car unit trains so have shifted to the 2010 era.

Enjoy the pics!

Cayden

Last edited:
All I could possibly say is... wow.

From what I can see in the pictures, this is a completely stunning route. It has got to be one of the best routes I've seen... ever!

Will we be able to run this incredible looking route as well? If so, do you have any idea when?

Release date uncertain at this time

All I could possibly say is... wow.

From what I can see in the pictures, this is a completely stunning route. It has got to be one of the best routes I've seen... ever!

Will we be able to run this incredible looking route as well? If so, do you have any idea when?

Yes. I hoped to release it but not sure when. The entire 150 miles is complete except for detailing. I am currently running trains to work the bugs out of the signaling system. I would also like to have some senarios ready when it is released. I will continue to post updates with pictures as the scenery is added.

Cayden

Wow indeed!! Very good work on this project from your website- Im definitley eager for your release date!!:cool: :D

Hello Cayden,

This route/layout looks absolutely magnificent, I can't begin to imagine the amount of work you've put in to it already, let alone the work to complete it!

I've been looking at the movies on your website, very impressive, I particularly liked the spiral tunnels, I didn't know anything like that existed!

Very impressive presentation also, excellent website. I can't wait for you to complete the route, I look forward to running trains on it. :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Not sure how I missed this but I did come across the thread today. I visited your website and must concur with a WOW! This looks fantastic! I can't begin to imagine how much time it must have taken you to get to where you are now...

:wave:

Gisa ^^

cayden: Very nice indeed..I have found in my routes is I run my mountains I usually do 700-800 Meters range..I found that is about right in height otherwise it is not in that range you don't see it..But you have a very,very nice route..I wish you all the Luck..:cool: :cool: :udrool: :mop:

Okay, I have to comment on this route. At first, I was just going to repeat what everyone else has said, "Wow!", but it really deserves so much more than that, like maybe, "Wowee!"

Honestly, those mountains make the route. They actually LOOM, they appear real in perspective, they IMPOSE on the insignificant cars and trucks and trains just like they should!

Bravo, well done!

More to come

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have no idea how many hours I have spent working on this route with many more to come. Your comments are appreciated and give me renewed vigor.

Cayden

That is one very nice looking route.....All I can say is....

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!! :Y:

MBC Update: Overviews of the complete Mountain Subdivision

http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/MBC/

Aerial overviews have been added to the “Canadian Pacific Railway in the mountains of British Columbia, Canada” (MBC). They cover the complete Mountain Subdivision from Field to Revelstoke.

Golden to Field, a video 50 minutes in length, is a flight at 100 mph in a Cessna Caravan 208 (by vulcan, KUID 2:60238:9581:1) from the airstrip at Golden east up the Kicking Horse River Valley to a grass landing strip at Field. The flight proceeds as far east as Stephen, then returns to Field, to include the Spiral Tunnels and the Kicking Horse Pass.

Golden to Revelstoke, a video 1 hour and 6 minutes in length, heads north from Golden down the Columbia River Valley, up the Beaver River Valley, through Rogers Pass and down the Illecillewaet River Valley to the airstrip at Revelstoke. The time period is fall of 2010, although through Rogers Pass track, snow sheds and the original site of Rogers Pass Station are shown. These are for a version of the route at an earlier time period (i.e., 1887) and will be replaced in the 2010 version by the Trans Canada Highway, which now follows the route through the pass.

Enjoy!

Cayden

Last edited:
Awesome work Cayden! I'm a daily visitor to your website; always hoping for more updates!

My Kamloops- Revelstoke route is plugging along too. Mainline CP laid end to end, as well as the CN section from just west of 'Loops to just north of 'Loops. Revelstoke yard is laid, but there's still a TON of texturing to be done.

Can't wait to run Caydens' route though! Kamloops to Revelstoke is nothing compared to Kicking Horse and Rogers Pass! :)

cannot view video or images

Cayden what happened? I tried many times to run via the web menu the videos but none of them finish or show any video.
Also i cannot find any image.

thanks

Roy:confused:

Back