Things that make you go hmmm

WYO

WYO Route Builder
I wasn't too happy with the visual quality of Trainz using openGL with a Nvidia 9600GT so I changed to DirectX to see if that was better. After changing to that configuration I found that DirectX isn't any better visually and it causes a BSOD within just a few minutes. Live and learn.

TRS2006 default is Open GL ... my GF old laptop Trainzdiag has warnings that 3 DirectX things are faulty.

There is a reason why Auran gave you specific Trainzoptions and Options settings ... because usually the factory settiings are the optimum best settings.

Ahh but some, or maybe all, Nvidia cards have, or have had, problems with openGL. I was just experimenting to see which worked better. Trainzdiag shows no problems either with openGL or directX so I expected that while it might not work, that it wouldn't cause a hardware related BSOD.

I can run either DX or OG on my 9600 gso, Dx gives better frame rates but the visual quality is fuzzy in the distance. I find OG better, exactly the opposite to you.

I wasn't too happy with the visual quality of Trainz using openGL with a Nvidia 9600GT so I changed to DirectX to see if that was better. After changing to that configuration I found that DirectX isn't any better visually and it causes a BSOD within just a few minutes. Live and learn.

Screen resolution is also a factor. I am running at 1440 x 900 (native) on an ACER 19" VGA and the visual quality is quite good.

tomurban

Screen resolution is also a factor. I am running at 1440 x 900 (native) on an ACER 19" VGA and the visual quality is quite good.

tomurban

Correct.
I run native screen resolution for trainz and desktop, must have read that one somewhere:confused:

For me, UTC always worked better in OpenGL mode. On the old desktop, DirectX mode would not even work at all. On my normal laptop that I have Trainz on these days, DirectX mode would work with UTC, but it had the behavior of OpenGL on the desktop, e.g. when you would zoom out, the water under the ground and other similar stuff, such as the bases of objects, would flicker with the ground. With TRS2004, DirectX works best. One bad thing about OpenGL is that it does not support reflection effects, in my experience. This means that translucent loco and rolling stock windows that have a reflection effect will be displayed with no reflection and no alpha channel. DirectX supports reflection.

Which graphics mode you use probably depends both on your computer and on which Trainz version you use. On a side note, of course, the stuff that I just mentioned above probably applies to any 3D program that uses Auran JET as its graphics engine, as Trainz uses Auran JET.

Regards.

I agree with the first poster, on my 9600GT, OpenGL doesn't seem to work as well as DirectX does....... Could it just be this Graphics Card?

Back