Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to add thumbnails to assets.

Oh wow
    this was stickied
    cool.
    Source engine map dev
    Avid gamer

United States of America, Missouri, Kirkwood

Default Adding thumbnails to assets

The suggested format within config.txt was given above as:

thumbnails
    {
    {
    image "screenshot.jpg"
    width 240
    height 180
    }
    }

I am sure this works very well, but I have had success in TS10 or TS12 putting a screenshot with any name into the folder generated after opening an asset for edit. If you use a name for your screenshot other than "screenshot," of course you must put in the actual name for the picture in the image line. This is handy when you do a whole batch of screenshots in preparation for editing many different assets.

For example, you may make a picture of a hopper car, a box car and a locomotive. Since they must have unique names, you may as well name the shots "hopper," "box" and "locomotive."

I have also been successful with heights other than 180 but have also been very careful to note the dimensions of the picture so that I write in the correct height. My image processing software allows me to set the width to 240 and then it sets the height in proportion.

What does happen if you do not enter correct dimensions? I am afraid to find out!

United States of America, MO, Kansas City

Yeah this is crazy. I just created my first couple of reskins and they look pretty good but getting them uploaded is way more difficult than learning how to reskin. I'm about to give up.

I can't figure out how to make the thumbnail the correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by dricketts View Post
    Yeah this is crazy. I just created my first couple of reskins and they look pretty good but getting them uploaded is way more difficult than learning how to reskin. I'm about to give up.

I can't figure out how to make the thumbnail the correct size.
    Well if they are reskins then the config.txt file already has something like

thumbnails
    {
    {
    image "screenshot.jpg"
    width 240
    height 180
    }
    }

I assume you've figured out how to resize and crop to 240 by 180? Just replace the existing file in the thumbnails line.

Cheerio John

Hi I have a TS12. How it is obtained, and the train horn sounds that thumbnails? Since there is not an image file. For example, Finnish dr12 horn (kuid: 311055:1008). Sorry my bad English.

Jamo

United States of America, New York, Burke

Default GRINS

And now that you have learned to post a thumbnail, you may find TS12 asking for hundreds of them. I have over 40,000 assets. I refuse to fix the nearly 1000 of them one at a time.
    Win 10 x64, INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R
    MB, ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0), EVGA NVidia
    980, PHYS MEM 32G, 2x128 GIG SSD

My computer skills are pretty bad. I,m trying to add a thumbnail to a modified route without much success. Perhaps if I go through what I have done wrong you can correct me. There was already a thumbnail picture which I removed, more by luck than judgememt. So this is what I have done so far. In my screenshot folder I renamed a photo "Port Ogden". I followed Moojoo,s steps as follows. Selected the Route I want to add the thumbnail to, "Edit"-"Edit in Explorer"-"config". I created a folder called "screenshot.jpg" and put my picture in it. Somehow as a result of my earlier attempts using a diferent method the config file now reads the same as what Alex23 posted ecxcept mine reads " image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg2. Then I close The config and commit it but no thumbnail appears on the route. I think the problem lies in my filename. Halp would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by colourlight View Post
    image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg2
    So the folder name is "image thumbnail.jpg" and the thumb is called "Port Ogden.jpg2".

I think that the "2" in the extention of the image might cause the problem. Start with removing that and see how it works then.

Based on what you wrote, you should find something in your config file that looks like this:
    Code:
    thumbnails
    {
      {
      image "image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg"
      width 240
      height 180
      }
    }

Thank you for your response Oknotsen but it didn,t work. I still get the grey box "No Preview available" I just can,t see where I am going wrong, The 2 was a typing error. I should have spotted that. I don,t suppose it,s because the author is somebody else but my name appears in CM as I have locally modified it. Another point is, will it be rejected if I upload it without a thumbnail?

Okay, so there is something else going on. Since I cant look over your shoulder and see what the actual names and locations are, here is what I suggest:
    1 - Edit in Explorer -> An explorer will open showing you the content of your asset
    2 - Make sure the thumb is in the same folder as the config file; not in a subfolder
    3 - Rename the thumb to "thumb.jpg"; no capital letters and especially no spaces in the name.
    4 - Open the config.txt file in notepad; I prefer my editors to have no brain of their own when I try to solve a bug.
    5 - Make sure your config.txt has only 1 "thumbnails" section in it and that it looks like this:
    Code:
    thumbnails
    {
      {
      image "thumb.jpg"
      width 240
      height 180
      }
    }
    I know, it looks silly, but the more basic and easy it looks, the less risk of bugs / mistakes / errors.
    It would not be the first time I have spend hours trying to find a bug and then discover it is a silly space or capital letter. The difference between a / and a \ also has cost me to many minutes of my life. I would not be surprices if you are in the same sort of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by colourlight View Post
    Another point is, will it be rejected if I upload it without a thumbnail?
    I never tried it without, so I cant help you there. But since the thumb and name are the main visible items in the asset list, I think your work should have a thumb to get the attention it deserves.

Edit:
    If you have been editing the config.txt file in a different editor then notepad or CCP, then maybe that editor decided to "help" you with adding spaces, quotes, tabs or whatever other junk todays editors can think of by themselves. In that situation: Do a brainless count of all the " and check if you got an even number. Same goes for { } ... see if for every { you got a } . I know, not the most fun thing todo, but it does explain some errors every now and then.
    Last edited by oknotsen; April 11th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

A final Thank you to Oknotsen. To be honest I have no idea how I did it but after hours of frustration during which I broke it twice, I finally have my thumbnail and very nice it looks too. Now, if you,re wondering what I was trying to do, It will, hopefully, be a modified version of Philskene,s "Port Ogden & Northern" route which, if all goes well will be for a multiplayer session.

United States of America, Florida, Crestview

And then some wonder why more is not uploaded to the DLS.
    Dell XPS8700 i5 cpu, Win10, 12G RAM, Asus GTX745 4G, HD 1T

Could someone help me find out why the thumbnail is not showing up in my asset...Please ? My thumbnail's name is : thumb.jpg, it is 240(width) x 180(high), It is in the asset folder and when I commit the asset, it still don't show up. My config is listed here (in part) from the start to where the thumbnail script ends. There is not any other thumbnail script in the config script.

obsolete-table
    {
    }
    username-fr "Quebec Central"
    description-fr
    holdcarz 1
    kuid <kuid:198760:100405>
    kind "map"
    username "Quebec Central 1975's"
    workingscale 0
    workingunits 0
    water <kuid:-1:6342>
    description "TransDEM generated map"
    trainz-build 3.6
    category-class "YM"
    region <kuid:-1:7804>
    world-origin
    {
    latitude 46,2.67998,1
    longitude 70,56.418,-1
    altitude 0
    }
    thumbnails
    {
    {
    image "thumb.jpg"
    width 240
    height 180
    }
    }

Thanks for help !
    Rail4Pete

Why not use Asset-X, it will generate a thumbnail just using the repair menu.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC1 View Post
    Why not use Asset-X, it will generate a thumbnail just using the repair menu.

John
    ThankS for the tip John. I have never used asset-X but I will give it a try.
    Rail4Pete