How to add thumbnails to assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Rename the streetborder.jpg to preview.jpg and see if that works, so it should look like this:

Code:
thumbnails {
    0 {
        image         "preview.jpg"
        width         240
        height         180
    }
}

Hope this helps... :)

I will give it a try! Thank you!
I will let you know the result in 1-2 days when Auran has loaded it in the Preview-area.

Now my thumbnails are successfully on the DLS!
I am not quite sure how I managed it. My feeling is that it had to do nothing with "thumbnails ...." in the config.txt, but I connected each asset in the pack with a 240x180pixel-.jpg when packing it with the Content Dispatcher.
Another important experience: The text that explains the asset in the DLS has to be written in "description" in the config.txt.

Last edited:
So why doesn't Content Creator Plus (It is called PLUS, isn't it?) write the freaking code you need? It could at least create a shell for the container, and allow you to specify the image's name. What's so PLUS about CCP?

I understand how to add thumbnail images to individual assets, and have uploaded a layout to DLS sucessfully. But for my next upload I intend to upload another layout of an adjacent area, and an updated version of the original, and upload them both in a pack.
I have been told that I can't use CMP (TRS2006) to upload a pack, but have to save both layouts into a single .cdp file, and upload that via the Planet Auran/Profile/Your Content website.
How do I add a thumbnail image to a pack?

Another possible problem

If your pic doesn't show on the DS and you get a gray box, be sure to check the upper/lower case of the pic file name. Content Manager doesn't seem to care, but the DS display does. If your entry in the config file is "Test.jpg" and your actual pic is "test.jpg", it will not report an error and it will be accepted by the DS, but your image will not show.

Had this happen to me several times.

Chuck

How to add thumbnails to assets

A simple setup process lets you choose the relevant folders or directories on your network drives and volumes. Final Cut Server scans the content on these file systems to identify asset types, capture metadata, and generate your catalogue, with no need for you to move or copy assets. When the system discovers a Final Cut Pro project, the catalogue adds a reference for each asset included in the project. The references are used to protect assets that are included in more than one project.
----------------------
valrossie
[FONT=&quot]viral marketing[/FONT]

Adding thumbnails to assets

The suggested format within config.txt was given above as:

thumbnails
{
{
image "screenshot.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}

I am sure this works very well, but I have had success in TS10 or TS12 putting a screenshot with any name into the folder generated after opening an asset for edit. If you use a name for your screenshot other than "screenshot," of course you must put in the actual name for the picture in the image line. This is handy when you do a whole batch of screenshots in preparation for editing many different assets.

For example, you may make a picture of a hopper car, a box car and a locomotive. Since they must have unique names, you may as well name the shots "hopper," "box" and "locomotive."

I have also been successful with heights other than 180 but have also been very careful to note the dimensions of the picture so that I write in the correct height. My image processing software allows me to set the width to 240 and then it sets the height in proportion.

What does happen if you do not enter correct dimensions? I am afraid to find out!

Yeah this is crazy. I just created my first couple of reskins and they look pretty good but getting them uploaded is way more difficult than learning how to reskin. I'm about to give up.

I can't figure out how to make the thumbnail the correct size.

Yeah this is crazy. I just created my first couple of reskins and they look pretty good but getting them uploaded is way more difficult than learning how to reskin. I'm about to give up.

I can't figure out how to make the thumbnail the correct size.

Well if they are reskins then the config.txt file already has something like

thumbnails
{
{
image "screenshot.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}

I assume you've figured out how to resize and crop to 240 by 180? Just replace the existing file in the thumbnails line.

Cheerio John

Hi I have a TS12. How it is obtained, and the train horn sounds that thumbnails? Since there is not an image file. For example, Finnish dr12 horn (kuid: 311055:1008). Sorry my bad English.

Jamo

GRINS

And now that you have learned to post a thumbnail, you may find TS12 asking for hundreds of them. I have over 40,000 assets. I refuse to fix the nearly 1000 of them one at a time.

My computer skills are pretty bad. I,m trying to add a thumbnail to a modified route without much success. Perhaps if I go through what I have done wrong you can correct me. There was already a thumbnail picture which I removed, more by luck than judgememt. So this is what I have done so far. In my screenshot folder I renamed a photo "Port Ogden". I followed Moojoo,s steps as follows. Selected the Route I want to add the thumbnail to, "Edit"-"Edit in Explorer"-"config". I created a folder called "screenshot.jpg" and put my picture in it. Somehow as a result of my earlier attempts using a diferent method the config file now reads the same as what Alex23 posted ecxcept mine reads " image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg2. Then I close The config and commit it but no thumbnail appears on the route. I think the problem lies in my filename. Halp would be appreciated, thanks.

image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg2
So the folder name is "image thumbnail.jpg" and the thumb is called "Port Ogden.jpg2".

I think that the "2" in the extention of the image might cause the problem. Start with removing that and see how it works then.

Based on what you wrote, you should find something in your config file that looks like this:
Code:
thumbnails
{
  {
  image "image thumbnail.jpg/Port Ogden.jpg"
  width 240
  height 180
  }
}

Thank you for your response Oknotsen but it didn,t work. I still get the grey box "No Preview available" I just can,t see where I am going wrong, The 2 was a typing error. I should have spotted that. I don,t suppose it,s because the author is somebody else but my name appears in CM as I have locally modified it. Another point is, will it be rejected if I upload it without a thumbnail?

Okay, so there is something else going on. Since I cant look over your shoulder and see what the actual names and locations are, here is what I suggest:
1 - Edit in Explorer -> An explorer will open showing you the content of your asset
2 - Make sure the thumb is in the same folder as the config file; not in a subfolder
3 - Rename the thumb to "thumb.jpg"; no capital letters and especially no spaces in the name.
4 - Open the config.txt file in notepad; I prefer my editors to have no brain of their own when I try to solve a bug.
5 - Make sure your config.txt has only 1 "thumbnails" section in it and that it looks like this:
Code:
thumbnails
{
  {
  image "thumb.jpg"
  width 240
  height 180
  }
}
I know, it looks silly, but the more basic and easy it looks, the less risk of bugs / mistakes / errors.
It would not be the first time I have spend hours trying to find a bug and then discover it is a silly space or capital letter. The difference between a / and a \ also has cost me to many minutes of my life. I would not be surprices if you are in the same sort of situation.

Another point is, will it be rejected if I upload it without a thumbnail?
I never tried it without, so I cant help you there. But since the thumb and name are the main visible items in the asset list, I think your work should have a thumb to get the attention it deserves.

Edit:
If you have been editing the config.txt file in a different editor then notepad or CCP, then maybe that editor decided to "help" you with adding spaces, quotes, tabs or whatever other junk todays editors can think of by themselves. In that situation: Do a brainless count of all the " and check if you got an even number. Same goes for { } ... see if for every { you got a } . I know, not the most fun thing todo, but it does explain some errors every now and then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back