Railworks heads into Muti Player by Next year

ahh well its a good thing i work for DB Schenker Rail (formally EWS).

Do you think that you are the only mainline driver who's worked for DB or any other company on this forum ..... :hehe:

Me ... 22 years service in before you ask .

Railworks ....
It doesnt matter how many times you polish a turd , it will always be a turd .

nexus................what is it like working for the privatised industry.

I only worked under BR and the tradition of the old railways was mostly carried through into BR days.

IKB.

I have only ever worked on the freight side (save 11 months on the railway YTS when I left school) so not all of this may apply to the passenger side :

The BR traditions carried on for a few more years after privatisation but a succession of graduate managers fresh out of University who haven't a clue about how railways actually work have turned it into the farce it is today .

Railways under BR where operated by managers who started at the bottom and worked there way up through the ranks , bringing with them a wealth of knowledge about how the system worked and how to cope in a crisis ( the recent snow farce demonstrated the true power of modern management :hehe: )

The upside of privatisation was a better pay deal for most and the first few years where great but as time went on they have eroded what perks you had and the average turn length has grown from around 6 hours to above 10 !

A downside of this extended hours regime is the health of most drivers has deteriorated to point where a lot (like myself) have chosen to leave (take redundancy) save ending up in an early grave .
Divorce rates amongst freight drivers are amongst the highest in the country !!

The hours are unsociable , you have little life outside of the railway and most of the turns are either nights , late afternoons or extremely early (like 1am or 2am) . What Family /social life you do have has to revolve around your roster . 11 hour 30 Min's turns (working infrastructure trains) starting around 9pm on a Saturday are an almost weekly event or if you manage to get a Saturday off as rest day then you usually find that you are on at maybe 2 or 3 am on the Sunday morning !! So going out for a drink with your mates is no no .

Christmas day under the "New Deal for traincrew" was always a guaranteed day off in England and Wales (Scottish drivers had January 1st instead ) so plans could be made with family and any one could volunteer to work which you got paid double for . Then sometime over the last 5 years ASLEF sold us up the river ( though they wont actually admit to it or give us the date to when they changed it !! ) and made it possible for management to roster drivers on if they didn't get enough volunteers , Those who tried to quote the original (and probably still valid) agreement where threatened with reprimands and or the sack !!

I'm glad I'm out of it , my health has improved and I'm now looking at getting a job with a local passenger company (hardly any nights).

Last edited:
Simulator X is better than Simulator Y because of [anecdote].

Simulator Y is better than Simulator X because of [similar anecdote].

The development work done so far allows this to be moved to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) so that lighting can be updated in real time. This is what can be seen in our speeded-up demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBF0pnookwk)
They rejected the famous on-body shadows ? :D
An outstanding step that makes RailWorks looking like trainz :hehe: . If it is true, their product is going nowhere :p .

well most trainz stuff is freeware, railworks is all payware

Not True. Well. In my rivet counting sense. Nothing Good. Or Decent. Is Free, Cept a few locomotives on TPR and RRmods,... and USLW. But the DLS, is now "Payware" in the sense That I have to go buy a FCT to get parts for everything I download, Which were, IE, "Free". I refuse to upgrade Because the newer versions Honestly suck, All the Pointless content I'll never use and asset searching nonsense, It's not even worth getting into...

I've Played Railworks, It's Like MSTS in a Sense But with better graphics/Camera Control. Thats Honestly it... And the Steam Engine Physics are more Advance then in trainz. Other then that, Yeah It's a glorified MSTS. That and Since Steam Updated mine to Railworks 2 It doesn't want to run all of a sudden, So Now I have TRS2006, two JR Freight Cars and the ATSF B40-8W Because nothing else comes with all it's parts.

I could Make a list of the Stuff that's free for railworks, Not that I'd want too. They have even less ALCo's then trainz Does! Thats a Big disappointment for me.

So at the end of the day, Railworks Sucks (In one Sense), Trainz Sucks (in Another Sense). Could You all stop arguing? Everything Sucks (In some sense) But Your Not complaining about That are you?

My -$0.02

Cheers and Happy-whats-left-of-the-Holidays

Btw, These Two Crack-headed Company's are making me want to throw both games out the window and go work on my Model Train Layout.

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation nexus............always nice to have information first hand.

Particularly as i have never taken much interest in the privatised railway.

It sounds like you were glad to get out of the freight side of operations.

ASLEF have accepted the latest pay deal and only the RMT ( NUR ) my old union are striking for a better deal.

I hope you manage to get employment with your local passenger TOC.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. :)

Mike.

They rejected the famous on-body shadows ? :D
An outstanding step that makes RailWorks looking like trainz :hehe: . If it is true, their product is going nowhere :p .

Ha, I just noticed the "we" and "our" in the OP's post. This is plain spam.

So far as multiplayer in either Trainz or Railfail is concerned, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. Both programmes still have far too many core issues which need to be fixed before even considering making them MMO, so a bunch of 11 year olds can crash their trains into me as I try and complete a list of tasks. Not going to list the shortfalls again for either sim, most of us who spend time around both know what they are anyway.

Re the objections on the first page to this thread, as Auran/N3V don't have a specific "off topic" or "other sim" section on the board, discussion on these pops up from time to time either in Community or Prototype Talk. I don't think the mods or site owners particularly mind so long as, 1. No one is touting to draw someone away from one sim to the other, 2. The conversation is carried on in an adult and mature manner and 3. That if you want technical support or more detailed discussion there are more appropriate forums.

Finally, to put things into perspective - I spent a fair amount on Railworks DLC in their Xmas Steam sale plus got the Bristol to Exeter route as a Christmas route. Superficially all good but...
The Class 31 is overpowered - takes off like a Japanese Bullet train even with 400 tonnes in tow.
Class 56 - nice model and cab but the sounds lack substance and the model seems to produce "consist tilt" errors, which terminate the scenario.
Class 57 - good but ultimately it's a re-engined Class 47.
Bristol to Exeter - not a bad route with plenty of custom stations, but try to set up your own scenario with some of my newly acquired content and it's a nightmare. Like Christmas dinner it takes about six times as long to prepare as it does to play, assuming you get round the vagaries of the scenario editor.

Last edited:
Btw, These Two Crack-headed Company's are making me want to throw both games out the window and go work on my Model Train Layout.

Thats just a tad bit of an over reaction isn't it.

By the way, whats with your uniue (?) way of viewing the world: everything sucks? :confused:

All these Railworks threads have lead me to the conclusion that Railworks turns people into c**ts. I thought the gimme-pigs round here were bad enough the Railworks rats seem to be 20 times as bad. It's a little bit of a coincidence that Railworks announce multi player within a week of Auran announcing it.

I'm left wondering if downloads of Railworks have got that low that the developers are trying to poach business.

:p

Andy

trainz light years ahead your having a laugh:hehe: its the otherway around Railworks is light years ahead of trainz. i used to be a big fan of the trainz games but once i tried Railworks i couldn't go back to playing trainz, Railworks is far better in every way. this new multiplayer for Railworks will make trainz look like a load of crap enjoy playing your unrealistic game.

p.s. here's a pic just to show what Railworks can do
RailWorksProc22010-12-1817-39-24-11.jpg

Trainz 2004 well supasses that mess why is there smoke rising from the roof and the people look like match stick figures, very bad slate texture, tank engines with post 1980's platforms (you sure you drive trains??? Didn't imagine it or anything?)) and trainz has track 10000% better looking. Common Rochester (where Railworks was developed) you giving the south of england a bad name. With crap like this I'm ashamed to be a southener.

Look at the trainz2010 screenshots thread then try to tell me Railworks is better.

I think they trying to poach the best content creators from Trainz coz they aint got any good stuff, besides we don't go to Railworks forum and start slagging it off. It's all getting very tedious

Get a grip

Sorry for double posting and quoting pics but I'm getting annoyed by all these Railworks w**kers

Last edited:
Well I must say I have a sympathy for your frustration here regarding Railworks. This is the 3rd thread I have came across (yesterday) on that competition. One has been closed down by the Mods and I fail to see why this continues as this is Trainz not Railworks. A passing reference etc is fine but if people want to chat about the competition shouldn't that be somwhere else?

Not True. Well. In my rivet counting sense. Nothing Good. Or Decent. Is Free, Cept a few locomotives on TPR and RRmods,... and USLW. But the DLS, is now "Payware" in the sense That I have to go buy a FCT to get parts for everything I download, Which were, IE, "Free". I refuse to upgrade Because the newer versions Honestly suck, All the Pointless content I'll never use and asset searching nonsense, It's not even worth getting into...<snip>

They're only asking you to pay to access the DLS because you don't own a version of Trainz less than 5 years old. I don't think that 2 purchases a decade are an unreasonable requirement for otherwise unlimited free downloads, plus free hosting (with no limits to numbers downloads or time) for hosting anything you might create.

The new builds might not be perfect, but they are being improved.

Paul

well the whole picture is special you see and here are a few reasons why...

1. we have walking people in Railworks who can get in and out of the train.

2. steam and smoke effects are a lot better than those in trainz

3. Railworks is better.....

also the beta for multiplayer in Railworks could be out by march.

1) Thanks to Neoklai75, we have animated people that walk around, and do everything that RW can do, other than get on the train. If he wanted to, he could do that as well, I am sure. Dylanviey has made a Vertipack that actually has loading animations of Chevy Vega's driving onto the ramps, then folding into the car, and the opposite for unloading. We also have a full line of carefully created, quality freeware assets, to compliment the payware that is out there, unlike RW, which is pretty empty. Oh, BTW, does your game have a passenger coach with a model of a locomotive that actually goes through the animation of turning into a Decepticon? I think not!

2) Not really. They look just as meh as default trainz smoke and steam. But load up the TRS NYC Y6B pacific from VMD, and throw it into hot mode, and you will see some real nice steam effects. Oh, btw, does your Gevo still have EMD engine sounds?

3) The argument of someone who has no actual defense.

As for your beta being out by march, I doubt it. It says by April in your post. And Auran will be releasing a beta in January. (Though from what I have heard, certain beta testers are already testing a beta as we speak.)

Good to see some healthy competition. Gotta keep Auran's devs making the game better to stay ahead of you guys.

Oh, and just saying, you can make the same exact, or better quality screen in TRS.

Feel free to compare RW's Cajon Pass to Joe's Mojave Sub, or Cajon Pass screens. It is obvious which is better. (especially with the work that is going into Joe's route) Or look at EK3.

One final thing:
1) The new lighting looks comparable to TRS. And there is nothing like putting even more strain on a graphics card, now is there.
2)TRS has a 5000m draw distance as of right now, or 5km. I don't know how much more RW plans to extend theirs, but it probably won't be by much. (Plus, I tend to run at 3500 myself.)
3)Block assets: Yeah, we have that already. It is called cut and paste, and the displacements. But I gotta give RW credit for finally attempting to make that crummy route editor remotely usable.

Oh, and enjoy your pitiful AI.

Last edited:
Thats just a tad bit of an over reaction isn't it.

By the way, whats with your uniue (?) way of viewing the world: everything sucks? :confused:

You Must be missing out on the real world if you think everything is happy sunshine, But yeah Kind of. Instead of Blowing off more cash on NV3, or even worse, Railsimulator, I bought another Locomotive in HO scale. Problem Solved!

Back