QGR 1889 SCL {Original Gold-Coast Railway}

trainz89

QR Commissioner
Hello Everyone,

This is the home thread for my QGR 1889 South-Coast Railway or know now as the original Gold Coast Railway. The era is Post-war.
So sit back, grab a ticket and watch the world go by from the seat of a woodern carriage hauled by a PB15.
pb15-1.jpg

If anyone has skills with Content-Creation, your services would be greatly needed to make some items for the QGR SCL; from Locomotives, Carriages, Station Items, Turntables and misc items. Your help would be invalueable
trainz89_20101115_0019.jpg

Regards
Michael G
Queensland Government Railways​

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Maybe you could provide links to your other Southport line screen shots from the past, with a location description so folks like me who came in late can check your work and thus be inspired about an area that many of us will visit these coming Xmas holidays.

Where are the two locations in the images in your first post above?

I am still researching for your other question regarding Ernest Junction as noted below. To which of Brian Webber's work do you refer, what pages and editions of these books/articles? Brian has done a few books and magazine articles that cover the Ernest tunnel area.

Have you downloaded HairyLeg's overlay for Google Earth which will indicate the track location http://www.railpage.com.au/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=335

A quick check of Railpage using "Southport" as a search term showed 10 pages of links, many of which suit your needs. [No need to "reinvent the wheel" so check these]

Also http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11350266.htm

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11359413.htm

Cheers
Peter C

Originally Posted by trainz89
Hello Everyone,
Well Peter C, I have slightly confused with the layout of Ernest Junction, becuase John Kerr puts the station building on the straight of the loop, then Brain Webber says its at the South Brisbane end; could you please help me Peter, becuase its getting quite confusing.:eek:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=710536#post710536

Last edited:
I certainly will in the future.

The B/W shot is a photograph of PB15 462 with single carriage from Beenleigh to attach to a train stowed at Bethania Junction.
http://www.home.railscene.com/zanatta/loco/pb15.htm

The screenshot is a down Southport bound, service crossing George St Level Crossing. This now on the current T-Junction of George & Jackson Streets thats occording to Old Southport Railway site. http://www.bryansplace.net/new_page_1.htm

I have only used for the route is a drawn on REFEDEX and a small amount of notes. Thats all I used and most of the landscape is hand-made.

Regards

Michael G

Thanks Michael

I note you have not said if you have HairyLeg's overlay for Google Earth which will indicate the track location http://www.railpage.com.au/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=335

I very strongly advice you have Hairyleg's work as it will give a great deal more then a REFEDEX and make your work a great deal easier.

Is the John Kerr material from "Destination South Brisbane"?

Which Brian Webber book?

Sorry to be insistant but you did ask for historical material. Enjoy searching Railpage as the Railpage threads are full of the historical material that will assist.

I have not given up on your Ernest Junction platforms question as I have found another source.

Thanks
Peter C

I certainly will in the future.

The B/W shot is a photograph of PB15 462 with single carriage from Beenleigh to attach to a train stowed at Bethania Junction.
http://www.home.railscene.com/zanatta/loco/pb15.htm

The screenshot is a down Southport bound, service crossing George St Level Crossing. This now on the current T-Junction of George & Jackson Streets thats occording to Old Southport Railway site. http://www.bryansplace.net/new_page_1.htm

I have only used for the route is a drawn on REFEDEX and a small amount of notes. Thats all I used and most of the landscape is hand-made.

Regards

Michael G

I'm showing my age here.

I remember taking the train from Southport to South Brisbane in about 1963.. The service at the time was made by a red railmotor similar to my QR RM55 (on the DLS).(with two trailer cars). Since these had a rated TOP speed of 30mph and made many stops, the trip used to take ages, but is was most picturesque. The line rambled around through farm land and even some sugar plantations that supplied the Beenleigh rum distillery.

Keep up the good work guys....

Postcards from the SCL

Hey Pev, can I email you. I have reskined you RM in the correct colours when in service. Thank You, i would like to invite you to help out, if you wish. The offer is always there.

Peter, The Book was Exploring Railways South Of Brisbane; Brian Webber & I also used ARHS History artical on Southport by the late John Kerr before he sadly passed away. I have his last artical, which makes is more special. I have used that recently as refference to re-aglin the route. Could you please add to my list of things; information on the Nerang River Bridge: dimensions & a few good pictures.

I really would like to have for Southport station; the typical QR Bullnose-Canopy modified to the NSW A6 Station and extended down the platform length. As the photo from 1909 depicts that station before the main arning was extended (Photo: http://www.bryansplace.net/southport_station.htm);
Southport_-_images_of_Yesteryear_1.GIF

I am not that very good at Gmax, I currently making a 0-6-0 shunter using Paul Hobbs tutorial's. Perhaps Pev or someone could lend a hand for this project. I am figuring of extending the short Tweed Head Section to include the substancial Nerang River Bridge.

Regards
Michael G
QGR Comissioner & Re-creating the SCL in the 1950's​
I'm showing my age here.

I remember taking the train from Southport to South Brisbane in about 1963.. The service at the time was made by a red railmotor similar to my QR RM55 (on the DLS).(with two trailer cars). Since these had a rated TOP speed of 30mph and made many stops, the trip used to take ages, but is was most picturesque. The line rambled around through farm land and even some sugar plantations that supplied the Beenleigh rum distillery.

Keep up the good work guys....

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

You have a personal email :)

everyone else... a fuller answer will appear here eventually. The short answer to Michael's question; platform on both legs of the Ernest Junction triangle at the Southport end of the legs.

Cheers
Peter C

"Exploring Railways South Of Brisbane” by Brian Webber P.87 has a diagram for Ernest Junction. If anyone else also has that book look for the platforms marked “X” and “B” inside the triangle on the Southport leg of the triangle. The platforms on the two triangle legs join together on the Southport end of the triangle.

I had some help from John Armstrong’s letter in the Australian Model Railway Association’s [AMRA] magazine P.170 issue #252. John noted the platform location in his letter.

Amongst the QLD rail historians are [were] three Johns. The first, John Armstrong, mentioned above, has written many articles and books, especially the locomotive series “Locomotives in the Tropics”. Vol#1 & #2 are steam loco based and Vol#3 is the diesel one http://railshop.com.au/prod20.htm

The second John was the late John Kerr who passed away November 2003. QLD rail historians would own many books by John Kerr.

The third John is John Knowles. His works would also grace the shelves of QLD rail historians. If you have kept reading this long message this far you also get the prize of being able to read what John Knowles has written about Ernest Junction so go for in at http://freespace.virgin.net/johnk.pb15/tweed.htm and part way down his article on that page is “Dividing Trains at Ernest Junction”.

Cheers
Peter C [you can all wake up now :hehe: ]

Peter, could is be possible to get information of the Nerang Railway Bridge (becuase I have someone who Is going to make the bridge for us) and you have outdone, yourself. Thank You. I will change the layout tommorrow, when I get some new custom platforms.

Fact; I personally know John Armstrong Via The S SCale Group. I am very priverlaged.:p

QGR PB15 740 Crossing The 'Creek' With A Down Roma Street Goods
trainz89_20101117_0016.jpg

Just For Peter V; to bring back his memories of the old South-Coast Railway; RM 52 Crossing George Street Level Crossing on April 14 1952.
trainz89_20101115_0015.jpg

Regards
Michael G

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

sorry but no material on the steam era Nerang River Bridge as it was before I took an interest in the region.

So you know John Armstrong and the AMRA[QLD]'s S Scale Group; that puts you in contact with the QLD branch of the Australian Model Railway Association [AMRA] http://www.brisbanemodeltrainshow.com.au/amra_qld_home.html who have a very impressive library at their Zillmere Brisbane clubrooms. I donated a few boxes of my railway books there a year ago.

Their library would be of a great help to Trainz folk. Membership of AMRA[QLD] is not that much [check website] and a lot less that some other model clubs I had better not mention... Trainz is still model railways in an electronic format so try AMRA QLD at Zillmere.

Cheers
Peter C

Peter,
Could it be possible to get information of the Nerang Railway Bridge (because I have someone who Is going to make the bridge for us)

and you have outdone, yourself. Thank You.
Fact; I personally know John Armstrong Via The S Scale Group. I am very privileged.

Regards Michael G

Memo From The SCL Mk1

Hello Everyone.

Peter, I am indeed a member of AMRA[QLD], well In am the youngest of the S Scale group. If you happen to be interested in comming along, feel free to join, the fellows are nice. We run our layout, Rosevale. I am going to add a few thing of mine Anyway the Nerang River Bridge was originally intended for the Kingaroy Line but got moved down to the SCL on order of the Commissioner of Railways. An execpt copy (but minus the Iron Piers) of the Bridge is still in place over Wide Bay Creek {first crossing} and here is a picture of it.
WideBayCreek1887.jpg

I will head in the library in the new year to get some infomation.

Cheers

Michael Gitsham

Hi Michael,
Since you are a member of AMRA[QLD] you have access to that Zillmere library and its back copies of their journal.

The AMRA “Journal” has three articles that will interest you and anyone else developing a Trainz layout based on the line from the Gabba to Southport and Coolangatta/Tweed Heads. The author of these three articles [Gabba, Southport/Ernest Junction and Coolangatta/Tweed Heads] was Garth Fraser who may or may not still be a member. Thankfully Garth put his knowledge into print for us following generations!

Each article has track plans and a very detailed description of the station.

I earlier mentioned John Armstrong’s letter in Journal #252 which was in response to Garth’s Southport article so the Southport/Ernest Junction article was somewhere just earlier then Journal #252.

Zillmere also has some back copies of the ARHS magazines. Use the ARHS Bulletin [now called Australian Railway History] online index http://www.nswrail.net/library/bulletin.php and search using terms such as Southport, Tweed Heads, etc and also the work of Rod Milne. Rod has done worthwhile detailed articles on Southport and Tweed Heads as well as the Gabba. Also check the Bulletin articles by the three Johns [Armstrong, Kerr and Knowles].

Enjoy the research!!

Cheers
Peter Cokley
Hello Everyone.
Peter, I am indeed a member of AMRA[QLD], well In am the youngest of the S Scale group. If you happen to be interested in comming along, feel free to join, the fellows are nice.
I will head in the library in the new year to get some infomation.
Cheers Michael Gitsham

Ernest Junction *Update*

Hello Everyone.

Here is some updated shots of the new alignment of Ernest Junction after I consulted my notes. So enjoy....
trainz89_20101221_0001.jpg

:wave:
Kind Regards
Michael G
Queensland Government Railways

Is the DEM for the original line to Coolangatta and Tweed Heads, with correct heights, available for download for personal experimental use?

Thanks
Peter C

If anyone has skills with Content-Creation, your services would be greatly needed to make some items for the QGR SCL; from Locomotives, Carriages, Station Items, Turntables and misc items. Your help would be invalueable

Regards
Michael G
Queensland Government Railways​
If quality does not matter, send plans/diagrams my way

Look Out For Trains

Hello Everyone,

@Callum, awesome; expect to get a parcel via email with diagrams, photo's and everything else in between. I can not thank you enough.

I have covered the locomotives bit, I have been making the PB's that ran the SCL and some that were based at the 'Gabba and worked the line in some part of the 1950's. Here is Kiston of Leeds Built No.488, which was a regular PB rostered on passenger services.
QGRStephPB15488.jpg

A DEM version will be in the cards, and I am waiting on Jerker to give me the data. I will start from Southport to just sth of Helensvale, and if any one wishes to give me a hand with track laying sections from Beenleigh to Helensvale [where we will meet the North & South sections.] I would like someone to work on the Tweed Heads-Coolangatta to Pimpana the line will link across the Nerang River Bridge to the Southport section.

Please email/pm me if your interested. :D

Kindest Regards
Michael Gitsham
Queensland Commissioner For Railways​
If quality does not matter, send plans/diagrams my way

A DEM route with correct landscape formation, including heights, of the steam era route Tweed Heads to the Logan River north of Bethania, including the Southport section, as well as the start of the Beaudesert line, is now available.

The route is called QLD_South_Coast10.cdp and is ready for downloading at the usual Victrainz storage site. It is correct landscape with streets and rail route marked. No rails or ground textures. Also included the present day electric train route to Varsity Lakes.

With many thanks to Jerker for his work!!

Cheers
Peter C

Sunshine, Surf & Steam

Hey Everyone, just some update shots of the DEM South Coast.

The Old Beenleigh Alignment
trainz89_20110724_0002.jpg

trainz89_20110724_0000.jpg

DestinationBeenleigh.jpg

:wave:
With KIndest Regards
Michael Gitsham
QGR Commissioner-Trainz​

Last edited:
Back