How many keywords per asset?

On average, how many keywords do you need in a search filter before you find the assets you want?

I would imagine that using too few words will not narrow the search results sufficiently, but on the other hand, too many keywords might make the search too specific and exclude the objects you want. If I can get a handle on the optimum number, I'd like to use that as a guide for how many keywords I associate with each asset.

At the moment, for the TS2010 built-ins, I'm running between 1 and 4 keywords per object, averaging about 2. That's in addition, of course, to other info such as username and region. Does that sound about right?

I guess it depends on your style and to an extent on why you are assigning the k'words, but my experience is totally counter-intuitive....

I started with lots of k'words, trying to be very specific. But I have since re-done it keeping things as broad and general as I can.

For example I have everything remotely industrial keyworded with 'Factory'. Of course when I search, I get a very broad selection of assets but it suits my style to then look through what I might use to find the asset i eventually will use. In other words I am not searching for a specific asset, I am using the k'word to provide the inspiration to find an asset I might use.

Does that make sense?

But I suspect "How many k'words per asset is right for you" will provide a broad range of replies...

Andy :)

Yes, it is an almost philosophical question, but what you're saying makes sense. A lot of the time I search like that too.

On occasion though, I can imagine hunting for a specific set of objects amongst a very large bunch and I think it would require at least 2 words to produce a small enough list to scroll through. For example, if I was looking for a battle tank, then 2 keywords like vehicles;military would find it while excluding unwanted objects with 'tank' in the title (squillions of rail and road tankers, tank containers, oil tanks, water tanks, tank engines etc).

I'm still interested in what others might say on this.

Wow, thanks andy and deane!
Never knew about the keywords search

Will try that later this morning

Jamie

Deane,

All of my content has keywords that I created in 2004. some examples are;

Commercial;Australia
Commercial;USA
Industrial;Australia
Industrial;Britain
Military;Vehicles
Military;Planes
Military;Buildings
Airport;Planes
Airport;Buildings

I have my list in a Word Document if you would like a copy as an example, PM or email me and I will forward it on.

Craig
:):):)

Back