Show off your reskins!

I'm starting on something...

52c498865cfb43a052391fccb56cbad4.png

Oh that looks amazing. I was just wishing I had something like that when I was running PM 1225 last Friday. Is that an arch roof or clerestory, I can’t quite tell.

Saturnr

That is not Arch Roof, It's a Standard roof. I can see the difference on it.

Standard Roof? By standard roof do you mean a clerestory roof? Just a note for terminology, a clerestory roof is hardly a "standard roof", when the clerestory first appeared on carriages it was quite a luxury. A standard roof would be a flat roof (1860s style) or a slightly arched roof (Reading/Rock Island Commuter Coaches), whereas a clerestory roof (increased ventilation) or turtleback arch roof in the air conditioned era (often covering a clerestory roof, with duct work such as garland vents) were high luxuries, that first appeared only on Pullman Cars (dining, parlour, observation, or sleeper).

Saturnr

Please, show your sources to where it's called a standard roof. Never in my life until now, have I heard it called a 'Standard Roof'.

Nice coach there Sean. I agree about your thoughts on the whole roof debate, nothing wrong with making something "true to life" when it's practical, but sometimes it's nice to just have fun, and not worry about every individual rivet.

@Southern1581: With all due respect,

All I did was ask for sources to where a clerestory roof was called a 'Standard Roof' in America. I have never heard of it being called anything other than a clerestory roof for as long as I can remember. So, I'd hope you'd understand why I would ask for sources to see for myself if it really was the 'Standard Roof' of American passenger cars from the 1910-1930s timeframe. There are sometimes that you hear a claim from anyone that you have to take with a grain of salt. I never said anything about your reskin at any point. In fact, it is a very nice reskin.

Last edited:
That is fair, I just didn't want this thread to spiral into a debate over passenger car roof terminology
It looks wonderful, and very prototypical. I didn’t mean to start anything, I was just confused by the terminology and based in what I know of C&O heavyweights wondered if it was arch or clerestory, and the standard comment through me, but it is a wonderful reskin. I guess it is like saying a 4-4-0 is a “Standard Loco” because between 1850 and 1880 most USA locos were 4-4-0s, is why it confused me, and because I have put lots of research into Pullman built coaches, I just wanted to try to clarify, not try to start a row, the community has enough silly bickering going on over unimportant stuff. To sum it up, beautiful reskin of a nice clerestory roofed car.

Saturnr

That's interesting. I can confirm that this car does not have a clerestory, nor does it have a turtleback like my museum's 1910 Frisco heavyweight got when it was rebuilt with A.C. in 1942. Guess that would make it an arch roof then? Also, thanks for the compliments, glad to hear that I'm on the right track. Hoping to get a full consist of C&O heavyweights going.

Here in America it's a standard roof, cuz it was the standard in the 1910s to 1930s.
Clerestory. (pronounced “clear-story”) That portion of a roof that sticks up higher than surrounding portions, hence the portion of a passenger car roof that rises above the roof proper, usually with windows in the sides for light and/or openings for ventilation. Syn. deck, dome, elevated, lantern, monitor, monitor-top, raised, upper deck, steamboat, Texas roof. The former, “deck” was so widely-used at the turn of the century that the 1898 Car-Builder’s Dictionary used that term exclusively. First used in American car framing about 1860, and widely used through the 1930s. The raised portion of a caboose or cabin-car was early termed a lookout, later a cupola.
According to the car builder's dictionary, "standard roof" is not a synonym. Moreover, there was no "standard" in American railway cars at any point in time, outside of the governmental safety standards which at no point ever mentioned anything about clerestory vs. arch roofing. Roofing standards were a company-by-company thing, and most railroads didn't have any sort of roofing standards either. Even between the 1910s and the 1930s, it was about as common to see an arched roof as a clerestory one, because arched roofs were traditional, and used in the Harriman Common Standard designs, as well as being quite popular among the Gould roads such as the WP and D&RGW. In many ways, the arch roof is more standard in American passenger car history than the clerestory ever was. I have never even heard "standard roof" used as railfan jargon either until now, so I seriously have no idea where you got that term...It does not appear in any of the Car-builder's dictionaries; nor does it appear in the definitive books on passenger cars such as The American Railroad Passenger Car or any of the passenger car profile books I have for WP, SP or other roads. So no, it's not a standard roof, never has been, likely never will be because they aren't built anymore.
That's interesting. I can confirm that this car does not have a clerestory, nor does it have a turtleback like my museum's 1910 Frisco heavyweight got when it was rebuilt with A.C. in 1942. Guess that would make it an arch roof then? Also, thanks for the compliments, glad to hear that I'm on the right track. Hoping to get a full consist of C&O heavyweights going.
No, if it's based on Whitepass's car it's got a clerestory. Archroof and turtleback are synonymous.

Huh. I thought it was only a clerestory roof if it had windows along the raised portion, but I guess not. Passenger cars are not exactly my area of expertise so I have a lot to learn on the subject. Guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing.

No, if it's based on Whitepass's car it's got a clerestory. Archroof and turtleback are synonymous.[/QUOTE]
Not to pick, but I was always taught that a turtle back roof was a type of arch roof, humped up more than arch, Harriman style or SOU, etc. with squared clerestory style ends and an arch roof was a commuter coach or something that had raised vents. That a turtle back was turning a clerestory into someone to look like an Arch potentially with garland vents or A/C ducts underneath the outer skin. Note how the turtleback arch roof has squared off ends whereas the regular archroof does not. Harriman ends are usually not all the way rounded, SOU turtleback rooofs, SLSF, etc, usually have a slight squared off profile to the turtleback arch roof.

Arch
p7mricar.jpg

Turtleback Arch Roof
Heart-of-Dixie2.jpg

Thanks for the backup on the clerestory Roof factual evidence, I never had heard it called a standard before, and didn’t think it was just something never heard.

Huh. I thought it was only a clerestory roof if it had windows along the raised portion, but I guess not. Passenger cars are not exactly my area of expertise so I have a lot to learn on the subject. Guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing.
So many different forms of roofs, many old clerestory coaches had the windows plated out (SOU/TVRM 1683/8, P&N 2102 and 2201, most Lackawanna MU Trailers.) It was big in the 1940s. Then came the “full work” of applying a “turtleback skin” overtop the clerestory to create a modern heavyweight (another way I was taught archroofs and turtleback arch roofs are slightly different), but retaining the body squared ends where the clerestory rose up. “Clear-storey” in the USA, “Clair-es-tree” in the originating UK pronunciation, and in hard Western UK accents “Clair-es-tor-e”. Clear storey makes no sense based on how the letters are placed, but likely evolved from the fact that it was a raised portion, like another storey on top the car, with clear sides because of the glass. Now the car you showe in the real life picture is a largely unchanged modified heavyweight, sealed windows, but still in the original frames (SP Style) rather than the large smooth faded picture windows, and still retaining a clerestory roof, just with plated out ventilation windows.

Saturnr

That particular Frisco car is actually the one we have at our museum, I have worked it many, many times. That's where I learned about the turtleback roof from

Back