Show off your reskins!

Decided to take a break from my Buffalo-area routes to revisit an old "fantasy" project I had started- a re-imagined Grapevine Vintage Railroad (reabsorbed into the Fort Worth & Western Railroad) and now operating steam trips with a much more powerful Baldwin 2-10-0 steam locomotive, ex Gainesville Midland no. 203 operating in a slightly "done up" appearance as Fort Worth & Western no. 2290.

6zSrLit.jpg

I was going to go with a plain old black locomotive to start with but with how honestly cool GVRX no. 2248 looks with the brass trim I thought "why not see how that would look on a larger locomotive?" I arrived at this. I've created an approximation of the Fort Worth & Western Railroad and these scenes are of FWWR no. 2290 pulling a train into the Fort Worth Stockyards.

wJP97o1.jpg

CKc8OQD.jpg

Before everyone gets their underwear in a wad because it's not "prototypical" I'm not saying this should ever be done, but what the heck; reskinning is free. Speaking of which, big thanks to K&L Trainz for the awesome models of SRC 90 and SRC 475, which served to give me this model (the tender is 475's since 90's real life is ridiculously undersized).

Trainz Forge YVRR caboose 17 second as CN...

O5JwAHB.jpg

Not a prototype, just for fun. These TF cabooses are fantastic.

Best,
smyers

Many thanks, Claus my old friend. These TF cabooses are really nice. Most of the attention goes to the engines, but the stock is great as well.

c1Mtb9R.jpg

Also a freelanced version.

Best,
smyers

Fort Worth & Western no. 2248 being steamed-up inside the company's brand new Grapevine Steam Shops after being overhauled.

wqeDQy7.jpg

A pair of LMS AC44's lead a modern ATSF intermodal train (alternate universe) on the Mojave Subdivision and these two were spared from the Conrail owned AC4400's.

I made some of my own adjustments to Colorado71's LLW A-1 Berkshire. I chose the class leader 1400 and made it look like it has been a few months/years in service.

2018-10-06_143331.jpg

@Smyers - Those skins are very nice. I particularly enjoy the skin on 15. I wasn't sure what to think of 17 at first - it's very much an an eastern Sierra caboose - the more "traditional" shape of the ex-CM cabooses look great in that context.

Many thanks, trainboi. I'm not sure of the 17 reskin either. I tried it with the leaf on the end but didn't care for it. The models are very easy to work with, though, which made it easy to try several variations. I've also re-lettered the mallet and no. 26 for my freelanced road and both required minimal effort. They look great. I wonder if there's a compatible coal tender for them. I can rationalize oil but would go with coal if one were out there somewhere. BTW the C&S narrow gauge stock is also really nice. Many thanks!

Best,
smyers

A new reskin project for me and this won't be done for a while. Yes, this could be paired with the British Mk3's, but the stripes won't match up and this only needs modern American coaches.

45236621421_30f6fffcbc_b.jpg

A few of my very basic re-skins, inspired by Scratchy's incredible Eagle River route and some great subjects from the people at Trainz Forge and The back Shops.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
ermm that's a P32, not a P42.

peter

Sorry for the late response to this. Yes, it is a P32, but I did some changes in the skin to make it look somewhat more like a P42. It's like making an older Dash 9 ("old school NS37" style) model have C30-7 trucks and calling it a "Dash 8" which is just a simple, somewhat inaccurate modification. Too bad trw1089 didn't make an accurate P42 model, but that however doesn't stop me and several other people from making P40/P42 reskins for the DLS and a few other sites. Not only this unrealistic practice has been done in the train sim community, but also in the model railroad industry and some manufacturers have done this many times before with some of their models. If I would've used a British Class 43 HST instead of a P32 and call it a "P42", then there would be a problem with it.

Last edited:
I've also re-lettered the mallet and no. 26 for my freelanced road and both required minimal effort. They look great. I wonder if there's a compatible coal tender for them. I can rationalize oil but would go with coal if one were out there somewhere.
The mallet at least will eventually get coal versions as I expand our logging mallet fleet. The 26 might not, but similar (slightly smaller) coal-fired versions will be happening eventually. 26 was one of the larger moguls ALCo built, but I intend to make a similar (somewhat smaller) Green Bay & Western locomotive at some point.

@Piere - If you want that 0-6-0ST to work with the rest of our planned Eagle River projects, you may consider renumbering it as #3. It looks quite good. To go further with those skins, you may want to use a black tarred roof with caboose 15, and run with more of a straw-yellow on caboose 17 if you want to keep it that shade. It'd be a better idea to have both cabooses follow the same paint scheme, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back