Show off your reskins!

SP SD40M-2. The ARN range is 8584-8623, all former SD45s from various railroads rebuilt by Morrsion-Knudsen for SP in the mid-1990s.

2023-05-27_110810.jpg

My "good enough, they'll do" reskins of ALNX cylindrical hoppers:

[FONT=&quot]
TRS22_2023-06-04_20-59-13.png

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
TRS22_2023-06-04_21-00-31.png
[/FONT]

Absolutely stellar! I think the JR Cylindrical Hoppers still work just as they did when they were first released. It all comes down to personal preference for theirs or RRMods. I'd rather have my freight cars be free when possible, but having them come part as part of payware loco packs is always nice too.

Chemical plant reconstruction

Something different from rolling stock and locomotives.

This old bendorsey building called Chemical_Plant is a nice-looking asset, but close inspection revealed a few modelling problems and I was asked by a certain route-builder to see if I could fix them. It has a poly-count of over 63000 triangles (30% of which are completely hidden from view), flipped normals, flickering/duplicated surfaces, UV mapping glitches, tiling of non-seamless textures and 24 separate materials.

1VYTZnI.jpg

Since Ben's license allowed it, I reconstructed the mesh to reduce the poly-count, re-mapped it with seamless bump-mapped textures and added LOD. The result is shown below. Poly-counts (rounded numbers) ended up at 44000, 34000, 19000, 8000, 500 triangles. The number of materials was cut from 24 to 5 by using texture atlases and adopting common textures for roofs and walls. While it's not easy to see here, each wooden stump, beam and plank, each distillation tower and chemical tank now has unique UV mapping instead of them all being clones. I added a few industrial safety signs to make it look a bit more "chemical factory-ish" and was pleased with the result, but it took 6 weeks of daily work to finish. I can't see myself doing too many of these reconstruction jobs!

XDiNLgf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback on my SD40M-2 guys! I'm proud of it. Hopefully JR does an SD45T-2 in SP speed lettering.

The chemical plant is looking much better with the new materials and textures!

Kind of a "proof of concept" here.

There aren't nearly enough skins on the Maxi IV stack car, so I tried to photoskin one just to see how it would go. It's a little more complicated than, say, a hopper or a boxcar. And it's also quite tough to find good pictures of all three cars in a set. One of those situations where it might be better to go out and take pictures myself, if only I had the time...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Maybe I'll do more?

Matt

Back