Show off your reskins!

z2QuwX4.jpg

Red-did some classic PRSL

Updated my RI U33B, instead of several models and skins, its now a singular engine with 4 skins and ARN. I love it!

2022-05-09-183916.jpg

I remember someone was doing the fictional Carabassett Valley RR a couple of years ago. It looked like a very nice project. Is that still a thing?

Same guys, same project. The project has actually had some decent momentum build up over the past 6 months or so after 3 or so years of slow slogging through it that didn't take us much of anywhere. We brought another guy onto the project who's helped us make some tremendous progress on the route, and I've managed to nail down some more skins for the railroad in the meantime and am continuing to churn away at those. If we can maintain our current rate of progress, we might could even see a release of Phase I sometime this year, though realistically that'll probably come sometime next year. We post updates to that project more on discord than anywhere else these days, though that thread is probably overdue for a bump describing what we've been up to and showing off some progress, because the route is really starting to look like something. I'm quite excited for it, and hopefully once we can get some proper updates out, more folks will be as well

A couple of works in progress:

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

It's an older model, but I'm pretty happy with how these have turned out so far. They do still look a little too clean when you park them next to some of the newer PBR models though. Still some work to do on finding a good balance on the door detailing, and I'd like to try my hand at making some weathered versions as well.

I love putting my engines in "disguise" to see how they would look running special excursions on foreign trackage. I spent a day transforming Santa Fe no. 5000 into "Chesapeake & Ohio no. 3000", operating excursions for CSX across the eastern United States. The first two shots are of the locomotive preparing to depart with a 5-hour excursion with 16 cars in tow.

2022-05-14-144600.jpg

Here is a list of things done to ATSF 5000 to disguise her as a C&O 2-10-4-type locomotive:

-Added magnets to tender and locomotive with "C&O" markings. This includes the cab and tender lettering itself, as well as covering the numerals on 5000's forward sand dome
-Replace 5000's headlight with a visored-type light with number boards
-Replace the brass number plate with one numbered "3000" with the numerals painted gold
-Add a "shroud" connecting the two sand domes to mimic the massive single sand dome of the Van Swearingen engines
-Remove the ATSF number boards that were forward of the sand domes
-Remove the stack extension
-Replace her ATSF 5-chime whistle with a whistle from a C&O 4-8-4 locomotive
-Added white trim to the walkways and cab
-Sanded the smokebox sides and painted them dark gray to match the locomotive face

2022-05-14-144903.jpg

"C&O 3000" ran excursions on the Arizona Central for two weekends in her disguise until being returned to her typical ATSF appearance for the remainder of the season in Arizona.

2022-05-14-162035.jpg

In "real life" it's assumed that none of these changes would require any heavy work to undertake, just removal or replacement of some of the pieces on the locomotive. I even chose magnets as they wouldn't require the engine to be re-lettered before and after these series of excursions. I have several other locomotive disguises I may share at some point, including ATSF 5000 as a fictional Cotton Belt 2-10-4, and CP 5361 in several different disguises as Louisville & Nashville no. 1536 and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe no. 3165

Yes there is so much in that screenshot that I'm not going to ask. There's a BNSF steam train, and the darn train from GTA San Andreas

Back