Show off your reskins!

Nearly there. The noselifts were removed, some hazard stripes added (albeit too narrow and too many to be Burlington Northern OEM, this may be changed later), and the mars light is in the process of being reconfigured. As it comes from Jointed Rail, the clear light comes on with the pantograph key, and the red portion with the emergency brakes. So far I have recolored the red lens to amber with a new corona to match, and I swapped the attachment points so that the now-amber portion comes on with the pantographs. The clear portion stays dark as of right now.

My plan is for the amber corona to illuminate and rotate with the bell, and the white portion to illuminate and rotate with the headlights. I have a thread going in the scripts section, so I'm hoping someone who knows more than I do can lend a hand.

Anyway, here's the loco as it sits. I really like it all clean, tbh. I'll wind up having a clean and dirty version probably, with clean and dirty B units as well.

YwO7OVg.jpg

Well, it looks like without some remapping, the F7 is going to stay clean. That being said though, Here's a quick attempt which begins to reveal the issues I'm talking about.

h637G3r.png

Before I make my amateur critique, I want to say that the model itself is beautiful, hands down. It's well constructed and I can see myself making more F7s in the future.

But, there are a few quirks of the mapping which don't lend itself well to weathering/rusting/'dirty-ing'/etc that I'd like to point out and perhaps suggest a solution to in the name of constructive feedback for modelers.

First off, several parts of the locomotive I find are mapped to small 'blocks', which take the texture and stretch (or tile)it over the section of model it's attached to. If a weathering affect were to be attempted on these parts, they would stick out rather badly, specifically speaking of the window 'bezels' and the ladders/handrails on the sides of the locomotive. In the case of the window bezels or handrails, I would suggest mapping them to utilize the same area beneath them. It may look a tad strange if you look very closely, but overall would look fine without too much scrutiny. The utilized method works well for adding a two-tone affect where desired, but in some cases (such as doors and window bezels) it would be best to not map them as a break-out.

Secondly, I'm a bit surprised that the doors are mapped separately rather than being laid into the sides of the body as they are when viewed in-game or in a previewer. If they opened or closed that might explain it, but as far as I know these are static and part of the main body. If I were to attempt to snag the part of the weathering texture that is supposed to cover the door and apply it to the actual door texture, it would need to be aligned (no big deal) but could suffer scaling issues; not to mention both rear doors on each side share the same texture (same being true for the cab doors), forcing both sides to be at least somewhat identical, even moreso when you consider that one of the sides is either flipped or mirrored a combination of ways, adding to the difficulty. If I knew how, I'd likely adjust the mapping and place the doors and window bezels in the empty areas of the main texture file. Fewer files to reference (resulting in possibly lower package sizes, thus less potentially wasted server space) and ultimately it would be easier to create a texture for.

Thirdly, I noticed something a bit strange with the f7's main texture specifically. The upper hood/windscreen portion is mirrored. Reference the ladder shadow shading in the .tga with how they appear in-game. However, the lower section is not mirrored. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I assume it's perhaps a bug or oversight. If one were to apply the hazard stripe texture all the way over both halves, you can imagine the adjusting nightmare that could potentially be. Another oddity is the way the a-pillars are handled on the cab. In the texture file, the last two pixels on either side of the a-pillar are stretched around the corner and to the end of the area at an angle, yet the rest of the face of the locomotive is mapped completely. I say this is strange because the texture file has plenty of room for the last section to receive it's own mapping. Again I'm assuming it's an oversight but I wanted to mention it no less.

That being said, though, I still do like this locomotive very much. I like to provide constructive feedback with the hopes of better and more detailed assets being created.

If you sat through all that, here's another green color I stumbled across if anyone wants it. It struck my eye as a nice color.

uyL6gsy.png

Decided not to persue a B unit due to strange mapping I don't feel like messing with. Instead, I'm working on something new; something I've only seen in model form and can't find any 'irl' photos of.

PS: Can anyone tell me what font Santa Fe used on their SD40-2s?

nc2Azml.png

e2646aa3b29015161e7a46cd2c620188.png

4574e6ef7820fbe0e0cbd2c9d36959b4.png

Southern 722 leads the owner's private cars away from Point Jeyes Station, Southern 2449 "Thomas Ruffin" and Pullman Solarium "Mt Bodrick" as the "Robert E. Lee". A 10-1-2 and a Pullman Observation Sleeper.

Saturnr

Last edited:
I know I'm not the best of repainters so please don't throw stones. :D

Durango & Silverton Caboose shop

#'s 0500, 0503, 0513, and 0540. :D

Not really a repaint exactly (just a little touch ups)but more of a repair (a lot of them to get it to work).
Mchawkman's (MSP) SP SD40 Olympic "Snowflake" now works in T12 and Tane.

I started with this not showing up.

btvfd_20171231_0004_zps0lqnfrqs.jpg

This is the result of about an hour or so today.

btvfd_20171231_0005_zpsb0oamans.jpg

7374 showed up for me in T:ANE and TS12 without modifications. What did you have to modify and why?

MSP's original TANE note for this engine:
WARNING! The SP SD40 Olympic 'snowflake' version has several bugs, including a bug in the script. It will show up in game with a red bug, but it does show up and work. It uses a generic version of the script which has a call for a skin change that doesn't exist for this model. Additionally, the engineer and fireman do not show up correctly. This model needs some re-work, so please use at your own risk / discretion. Issues are noted as bugged and on the to-do list.

For TS12 ( my use only) I added the missing skin file that the script file calls for and some color mods also updated from original build 2.9 to build 3.5. As to why? Well to make it work without error for me to use and everything shows up fine now.
The BUG warning is also gone now in both TS12 and TANE at least on my end.

Last edited:
Well, the more I work on this SD40 the less I care for it. Something's..... wrong, granted it isn't even close to being done. I've also included what I'm basing it off of.

I think I'm going to back up and try another company or color scheme. I've learned a few new tricks doing this, so I won't call it a waste of time.

YvavQZa.png

e6a238a970a7bc1eb99729a090668e285526ceea-1_20130820-151510-C1-Trainz-3570001-00.jpg

Back