Show off your reskins!

That's why my own reskin of CP 5361 is only temporary. We both want a model of the engine that the dimensions of which are more in line with the real prototype.

Let me know how the attempt to implement cylinder exhaust on your P2 turns out.

Last edited:
Which is what makes the ATSF 3160 class so interesting is a fair amount of the specs are actually pretty close to the CP P2e class.

I figure that's why you chose the ATSF 3160 as the base for the CP P2e. I am interested in 5361 because we a serious lack of good freight engines for the Canadian Pacific, only the 2-8-0 and the 2-10-4. We need a 2-8-2 to fill in the gap between those wheel arrangements. I suppose that the fictional 2-8-2 variant shown on your sig is the personal version, while the prototypical CP version is supposed to be published on your site once the necessary fixes have been applied, correct?

That's how I would imagine I am doing it. What the hell, another shot [in the fall this time because I spent days populating the route with trees of different colors] of 5361. I'm still tweaking things, like added a rebuilt cab last night with doors hung on the correct side and that lime green paint for the interiors that CP must've gotten for free...

2018-05-31%2B020947.jpg

And I'll let the cat out of the bag I guess. But everything is not ready for release yet so when it is, I will add them as downloads on my site. You missed one of the gaps in CP steam power, and it happens to be a pretty well-known class of locomotives that operated on railroads in New England, Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio. I give you the G5 class of locomotives! I currently have 1201 and 1293 but will be adding more. It seems that every single locomotive was different in some way so the detailing of each is laborious but makes for some interesting pieces.

2018-05-25%2B143843.jpg

2018-05-25%2B005413.jpg

I think we have a Canadian Pacific double-feature! The Ohio Central operates around my area, so I'm all too familiar with that railroad. The OHCR must have loved it's Canadian steamers. Tigerko15 has 1201 and 1293 on the DLS, but an upgrade is always welcome.

Last edited:
I plan on releasing all of the surviving G5's. Like I said though, detailing each one is tedious because they are all different from eachother.

I never said I was going to release it. I said I might. I plan on releasing the G5's when they're done. But everything is at my discretion.

I always understood that it was only you that had the power to decide to host these models on your site. Bugs aside, I don't think you would need to account for much permission; Bdaneal's license for his newer stuff allows you to freely modify the models and redistribute for free on line. Still, it's all up to you on the fate of the P2. I can't control your decisions, instead influence, inspire, and /or encourage.

I'm confident, that you yourself won't regret the possibility of you uploading the P2 on your site when you're finally happy and satisfied with the work you've done to make it possible. Ever since you first asked for help with the cylinder exhaust bug on the P2, I've supported and respected your interests. Reviewing Bdaneal's license, there is nothing stopping you from uploading the P2 permission wise.

I am also a reskinner that publishes work I'm happy with, as long it the license says the original asset is open-source. I never regretted uploading my work to the DLS that is based on free material, and people highly appreciated what I contributed. I have a few caboose reskins on the DLS, and downloaders were happy to use my content on their routes and sessions. I'm thankful for the constructive feedback they give, and makes me feel proud.4

You've also mentioned that you haven't found any other bugs that would prevent the P2 from running normally or ruin the experience, so that's another plus.

You based your P2 on work that is open-source; it can freely be modified and uploaded without asking for permission first, but anyway, it is always to credit the original authors. Making sure that the model is polished is also important, and I can see that you worked hard to make sure that running the P2 is a smooth experience, as best as it can be. Just ask yourself what other things you should consider when in the case you elect to upload it; documentation, hosting the file, publicity, etc. Take this advice into mind and maybe you can make something good out of your hard work that you invested much time, effort and other resources that will make your projects into a smooth and finely polished experience you and everyone else who potentially installs it on their copy of Trainz can enjoy free of the worries and stress of errors and bugs that come up running the model.

Still, it's all up to you. At the very least I'm happy to help.

Last edited:
I think I'll take a break from the topic of your P2. I'll still look forward to running it on my own layouts someday, but you probably have better ideas for the project than me.
For the G5, that's something I can better look up to. You work has excellent attention-to-detail, Brian.

Last edited:
I saw a while back magicland did some ATSF Pullman cars, a heavyweight coach and PB70 combine, so I decided to complete the roster by reskinning a baggage/mail car and observation car to complete the set.

tane_2018_06_02_10_19_36_75_by_nictrain123-dcd9b58.png

tane_2018_06_02_10_20_35_14_by_nictrain123-dcd9b5k.png

Also added some variants of the observation car with different drumheads for different express trains. I got drumheads for the 'Chief', 'California Limited', 'Grand Canyon Limited', 'San Diegan', and the 'Scout.'

tane_2018_06_02_10_21_22_70_by_nictrain123-dcd9b5x.png
tane_2018_06_02_10_22_11_65_by_nictrain123-dcd9b6e.png

Due to the lighting in Trainz, they appear a bit off. Maybe they would appear better on other monitors...

Anyway, if I ever get permission from magicland (if he's still around) to release these cars, I'll also be including configured trains to go along with them on the Download Station so you guys could enjoy the full experience of Santa Fe's premier passenger trains in Trainz at long last. Hope y'all like! ;)

Nic

Started off as a CR Depressed Flatcar by socalwb909 and with a little effort turned it into QTTX.
socalwb909 has given permission to upload to DLS.

34384020_10204910910969926_1989489535100125184_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back