Show off your reskins!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

with the head and marker lights on, we see the 486, a mighty 4-8-4 Northern with a empty freight thunder down the tracks on a very cloudy afternoon.

Thanks TrainzPlayer14! Nice job yourself!

UP ES44AC
95b031f0556ca53543bd76f7fa9b1f61.jpg

Yep, I know that the Trucks are wrong. Working on it. Along with a weathered version.

@UP5521, Just a quick tip: You can use the alpha channel of the normal map as an ambient occlusion layer.

Helvetica Neue is available free (google), one of the benefits of having Mac (not to start a mac vs pc debate again) is getting Helvetica built in :D

Arial and Helvetica are the same font, font names can be copyrighted but the font can not be.
Helvetica is a bit different than Arial. That's why I say Arial could pass, but helvetica is the one you definitely want to use for CSX equipment. In my opinion, they're pretty darn close however and only slight differences in the numbers. I wouldn't fault anyone for mistaking the two, I even did at first until I really started developing an eye to see the differences.

Last edited:
IT WAS I, THE GREAT CMOEHRLE WHO INSPIRED YOU!

Haha, looking back now it was you! Thanks again for the inspiration!

Hey daylightrain, can you see if Austin will allow you to release those? They look really awesome :D

His majesty has shown distaste to the superior Southern Pacific FEF-1, as well as the beautiful DM&IR FEF-1. I shall contact his highness for permssion to release these beasts to the public.

Whoa guys, it's just a number on the side of a caboose, chill. There is a slight difference between Arial and Helvetica, but I only needed the numbers which look pretty similar. I don't have MAC (and never will, not after I dumped nearly $700 into my PC), so I don't get that benefit, unfortunately :(

Justin, right now as much as I'd love to be 100% accurate with everything down to the pixel, it's my first re-skin so it is not going to be perfect, however I may revisit it sometime in the future.

And Adam, it is indeed very sad that people do not understand that there is a world of difference between Arial and Helvetica :'(

By the way Daylight, I certainly hope His Majesty will approve your request :hehe:

The P&B for Approach Mediums series on Youtube!

You are correct, Brandon! It is indeed being painted in the P&B livery.

RE post #226 third8923

Thanks for the compliment third8923.

The weathering is based on one TGA that I made. Applied in Paint.net using the various Layer options, brightness/contrast settings etc with a great dollop of "trial and error".
Feel free to take a screenprint of the attached image and use.

334b390a65579e094be26a59f2d6d3d6.jpg

Cheers evilcrow

Now, apologizing for quoting a picture but it may be needed for those who haven't read it yet.
I went ahead and borrowed evilcrow's weathering image and experimentally applied to the engine to give it more of a P&B "feel" (hope you dont mind evilcrow! :)) I've got to say, it looks pretty decent on the model:

Note: NOT representative of the final product! :D

If you wanted to alter the paint scheme a little to add interest my original idea had the lettering in orange in the black part, with the bottom of the letters lining up with the bottom of the black stripe. It might also be nice to add some bare metal on the top of the roof or hood.

Thank you for the compliment Brandon! Truth be told, it may be that you're having trouble re-skinning based on what image manipulation software that you use, if I'm correct you main choice editor is Gimp, but you may want to consider trying Paint.NET as it is much more powerful, mainly because it can work in layers, similar to Photo Shop. It's also free and has several plug-in options available, easy to use as well once you get the hang of it.

Just so everyone knows, please give credit to Felix for the re-skinning template (which was very well made) and evilcrow for that picture I applied as weathering :)

@MeowRailroad thanks for the suggestion! That may become necessary in the end if I can't raise up the black section for room for the text, as the engine has a fairly short hood but I want it to be capped by the black. The other thing that's holding me back is the lack of logo/text options to choose from - my guess is that the P&B text is similar to what Milwaukee but I'm not sure, and I think a custom logo has been designed for the railroad. I've asked Joe about it, but still waiting for a response. I'll see if I can find any public domain images for bare metal effect.

GIMP can quite easily work with layers actually. Now, I did not work with layers in gimp for the longest time, but that was more down to personal stupidity than any fault of the program. I run gimp 2.6, I love it, and I have no intentions of getting off of it.

I like that P&B skin sir, looking quite well made so far. Glad to hear you are finding the RS-18u template easy to work with, as I have a skin I have to make for the CBVR on it and I have yet to try that unit out for myself.

Speaking of the CBVR and gimp...

Back