Going from TRS 2004 to Trainz 2010?

yr05tcurry

I like trains
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched and not been able to find anything.

I'm currently using Trainz 2004 (SP4), it's been great over the years but I think perhaps its time to move on. I've considered buying the new Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition, however, before I do this, I was wondering...

Is it possible to transfer content from 2004 to 2010? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched and not been able to find anything.

I'm currently using Trainz 2004 (SP4), it's been great over the years but I think perhaps its time to move on. I've considered buying the new Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition, however, before I do this, I was wondering...

Is it possible to transfer content from 2004 to 2010? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
It is possible, however you will gewt a lot of errors and warnings. Even though I have TRS2004, I do not know how to import content from it as I do not use it much.

You will need to use the Import Content feature in TS2010 Content Manager, then point it at the TRS2004 World folder.

Shane

How?

We are not talking about just one odd piece of content, it could be thousands Shane. Are you saying CM doesn't automatically prevent duplicate kuids? If this has to be done manually, I think it would make me sick.

In CM 'Settings' you can set to Over write or skip duplicates. The wisest move would be to 'Skip' as TS2010 builtins may have been modified.

However, there is no need to transfer any builtin assets, as long as the custom contents are transferred that is all that is needed. If my aged memory is correct, all the custom content and routes are in the World folder.

Peter

It should ask if it wants to try and overwrite built-in content. If it does, click Skip All. Apart from that, it should be OK to overwrite non-built-in content. Be aware though, there is a lot more built-in content in TS2010 than there is in TRS2004.

Shane

Yes. I think Trainz is really becoming bloated. I wish they would release a new version of Trainz with almost no built-in content, just example assets to demonstrate new creation techniques. Then we could choose what we want to put in it on an individual basis.

Back