Creating ground textures

mattm

Doing my best.
Hi all,

Got a bit bored this evening, and decided to try my hand at creating a few skies and ground textures for '09. Did a forum search, and found a thread on creating skies, which i was able to follow such that after a few false starts, i managed to get a half decent sky into Trainz.

Ground textures, however, are a different story. I did a search, and the best i got was this thread. Had a read, but i am still clueless, as it doesn't go into enough detail for my fairly dense mind to work out the process.

I also had a look at the '06 CCG, as well as the Trainz wiki, but neither go into enough detail for me to be able to make a start.

So, i was wondering, could anybody out there please either point me to a fairly detailed tutorial, or use this thread to take me through the process, step by step?

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt
You could clone another texture and replace the main file, the actual texture with your own, similar to re-skinning

Jamie

Matt
You could clone another texture and replace the main file, the actual texture with your own, similar to re-skinning

Jamie

Jamie, thanks. Got it now. Just need to experiment to get the best look possible.

Matt.

Keep the Trainz build at 2.7 or 2.8 if you create textures this way. Trainz build 2.9 and up (TS2009) requires 32 bit images and a normal map.

William

Keep the Trainz build at 2.7 or 2.8 if you create textures this way. Trainz build 2.9 and up (TS2009) requires 32 bit images and a normal map.

William

And...

You lost me again!:eek: So, again, anyone know of of any (detailed) tutorials for creating textures? I'm a bit dense, computer-wise, so I have no idea what 'normal mapping' is! Is it likely to affect the look of a texture in 09, not having one?

Matt.

Back