Are We Nerds?

Well, if becoming a ham radio operator in 1957, and moving into computers, bits and bytes in 1962 for the Navy, and continuing with same right up to 2317 on 13 December 2010 counts, I'm a nerd too.

No wonder I got pummeled regularly on the school bus and the only girls who hung around with me wore glasses also. I got winked at a few times though, so maybe not all nerd. I've been married to the last one who winked for over 48 years.

Bill

Personally, I have found the cultivation of nerdism requres a good deal of time, effort, and application. I find it appalling that some in this thread seem so ready to jettison this hard earned trait.

Bernie

nerd.jpg

Are you This???

Jamie

If you belive your a nerd. Then that's what you are. If you belive your not a nerd and just a train lover/fan. Then your not a nerd and is just a train lover/fan.

If other people "thinks" your a nerd. That shouldn't matter at all what so ever.

What these "Other people" think you are doesn't count. They simply don't understand you and unfortunately there are many that will not understand you. Talk to those who you belive will understand you.

What you belive or think you are does count. Afterall, this is yourself your talking about. You know more about you then even the god who created you.

I just skim thru the page a bit and this is my reply. If this has nothing to do with the thread then im sorry. Still a tad sleepy as its 2:26am over here and I have a very long day later on at 11am. :p

You can't be a nerd (nurd from Euphod but that works too) unless you have a propeller beanie, but hey that's just me. :)

Cheers

AJ

I'm the smartest in my class, and I like it. It gets me ahead in everyone.
I know how to play trainz, solve a Rubik's cube, and I know a chunk about who wants to be a millionaire.

**cue:Who wants to be a millionaire $250,000 win sound**

Maybe you can call yourself a geek...:hehe::p
(joke)

????

Jayturf
If you are a nerd then i m a nerd too, i love flight simulator x to especially when i dont play whit TRS ehehehe:).... the most important in our lives is to be happy, and make others we love happy to.......

Last edited:
I see a lot of " Who cares" in this thread and.. While that might be true that also points out you don't actually prefer the idea of being a geek or nerd in the back of your mind. In reality anyone who has an outstanding idea of one section is a nerd. There are jock nerds and cooking nerds, we are train nerds, I'm a computer game/movie nerd myself.

Feeling like a simple word is bad to describe you is a social wrong for our society. Another example is how gay became such a bad word and meaning the same for mental slow downs.

Take the Gimme Pigs as you call them. Why do they want want want? Look at society today. Pirating music and art is a huge thing. People want to buy things for pennies. Heck when games go on sale on Steam for the price of gum that sells thousands getting more money that it had the day before the sale and bringing more people into a product.

Are we nerds or geeks? I believe so and I'm proud of it. I'm proud to be part of this culture that we have developed. I'm proud to be who I am.

For me in middle school I was a reject for liking trains and listening to classic hard rock and classic metal. In high school people don't seem to care really. Girls in middle school and high school didn't see it as a problem. While other guys would give me a hard time about it. I even had a teacher make fun of my love of railroading. In high school every seems fine with my love of trains.:cool:

Nerds are a form of candy, currently sold by Nestlé under their Willy Wonka Candy Company brand. I thought you candy-loving Americans would know that ?? :p

Byeeeeeee :wave:

ex-railwayman.

Hi Everybody
it is perfectly okay to be a nerd, but make sure that it does not make you a bore. Trainz and train simulation is a minority interest in fact you could call it a niche hobby. The opening poster stated that it seemed to him that people did not take a liking to him especially girls. Therefore my advice would be make sure that you have a wide range of interests in your life which enables you to talk to other people about a whole range of subjects which they can identify with. Trainz and rail simulation is not one of those subjects.

I am retired but I am often called back by my former employer to carry out workplace accident investigation and reports. As I worked in the road haulage industry a recent investigation I carried out was into the root cause of an accident where a 40 ton articulated vehicle parked in a depot suddenly after being started up rolled away while the driver was out of the vehicle checking the lights indicators etc. After rolling about 30 metres it demolished half of the warehouse before coming to a halt.

At the first of a number of Christmas get-togethers we have been invited to this year I was telling some people of the accident which caused quite a bit of interest, amusement and questions. The reason for that I believe is that people can identify with road vehicles as most adults drive or travel in these vehicles on a daily basis. The same cannot be said for railways or rail simulation. Therefore my advice would be when talking to people that are not engaged in our hobby then talk of something different something which they will find interesting and not just you.

To sum up, when you go out leave you're hobby behind and then people may come to you.

Bill:D

Last edited:
Can't Say i'm a nerd. I Talk to everybody including girls,and make em laugh. Had a girlfriend over the summer until I made some not to good choices at my job which was an water park,and ya'll know the rest. Did do football untill the season ended,and now i'm waiting for Track season to start up again. I would do baseball but I hate the coach thats over it so i'm not going to do it. As most have said in this thread don't make trains your life,and some folks won't like you no matter what you do. So don't let that get you down.

As I said, girls didn't mind it. It was only other guys. I like to go for runs and go swimming. I also talk about cars with people and World War 2. I don't find World of Warcaft intresting at all.:cool:

We might get the "girls" but we never get the hot ones..

Sorry.. if you believe your gf/wife is "amazing" but how would society rate them?

I go to college and I've hooked up with a few girls.. but there not amazing. Fact most of them r ugly, but I'm ugly too so I guess thats the best I can do..

I'm not surprised if your value of women/'girls' is only defined by whether or not they're hot or not.

Calling me a nerd oddly doesn't offend me, but acting like we're objects? That does offend me.

Bottom line really is if anyone says to you 'your a geek! You like trains!' then you say 'Well at least I've got an Interest', :hehe:
You shouldn't have to be put off your hobby just because you feel self conscious about what your interested in, or feel like a nerd, its who you are ;) I mean, I've got a Girlfriend, she's seen my 00 Gauge layout in my bedroom, she did'nt say anything, in fact, girls are quite intrested in scenery part of railways.

Tom Hughes

Hi Everybody.
Calling me a nerd oddly doesn't offend me.

Nikia and others posting on this thread say that you are not offended by being called a nerd. However, I have never really been sure of exactly what a nerd is.

As an example I have never met NikkiA, but it is obvious from her postings on this forum that she has a great ability to get her point across in writing and she has an exemplary knowledge of software programming and hardware capability. Having said that I certainly would not view her as a nerd but as someone who is well-educated and exceptionally well briefed in all things that affect computers.

So exactly what is a nerd. Is he/she:-
1) someone who has expertise or obsession with one particular subject.
2) someone who is an expert or has an obsession in several subjects.
3) someone who is very well-educated and which allows him/her to speak on a range of matters with authority.

All contributors to this have fifteen minutes from putting hands to keyboard to placing their reply on the thread. answers must be more than 2000 words to prove you are anywhere near nerd status.

Please discuss

Bill:hehe:

Back