Mystery Locomotive on BBC video of snow effects.

NikkiA

The BBC's website has an article/video on the effect of the snow on the South-East's rail network (yeah, I notice you didn't mention it when it was just the north's rail networks being disrupted, *grumble*)...

On that video they show a mystery locomotive sat in a station, coupled to what looks like a medium length freight train. However, I have no idea what locomotive it is, and it's bothering me, it doesn't look like any mainline locomotive I know of, nor does it match any Eurotunnel locomotive I know of, it almost looks like a people-carrier type vehicle, but surely that couldn't pull much of a train.

Anyway, a screengrab, in case anyone can tell what it is...

Could be on de icing duties or one on leaf clearing duties that's stuck due to the snow conditions , The leaf fall season is strangely still in effect :eek:

If you look in the cab you can see a tail lamp facing the direction of travel . That's a no no if the unit was in use .

Standard practice is to leave a lit tail lamp on each end of a vehicle if it has to be stabled on a mainline and it's safer to leave it in the cabs of the MPV which are locked . If it isn't fastened down it walks ... !!

Last edited:
Hmmm, I noticed that on the news last night and wondered what the hell it was. The stock over here is limited to a tiny number of items by comparison to the UK network.

NIR operate 3 types of DMU (80,450,3000) 2 types of loco (111 which rarely leaves the yard, 201) and 2 types of coach rakes (ex Gatwick MkIIs stuck in sidings, De Deitrich sets). I think I've also seen a Plasser unit scooting around too. Makes for pretty dull viewing.

Back