Presenting Catalina Island

sstyrnol

Hello everyone!

Probably introductions are in order first: My name is Sebastian, I am from Germany and have been involved on and off with Trainz every now and then, even though I have been more involved in MSTS most of the time.

In here I want to share some pics from a route I am building for my own leisure. Wether or not I am going to upload it at one stage I do not know, since I am still learning the in's and out's of TS2010 route building and I am probably still quite bad when compared to some of the pros here.

The route I am building is absolutely and strictly fictional. The terrain is DEMed from the Californian Santa Catalina Island (even though I reduced the absolute height of the terrain somewhat to facility rail laying!). Apart from that, I am inspired by scenes from Australia, Costa Rica, some islands in Europe.

The fiction goes like this: Catalina Island is an island off the westcost of the USA. In the late 19th centure, a wealthy eastcoast industrialist discovered the abundance of high-quality timber and even some ore in the mountains on this island. What was more natural than to build a railroad on this island? With the industry, people came and soon the railroad also transported people and other goods. The temperate climate and mild seabreeze allowed also for rich opportunities for growing fruit and vegetables, the rich oceans employed many fishermen.

In the 1950s, the remaining natural forests on the island became protected and there was only limited managed forest industry left to sustain the railroad. The mines have run dry likewise. However, the island has since transformed into paradise for leisure boaters, tourists, hikers and sun-addicts alike and the island's growers are renowned for their produce, so the railway still thrives. For the benefit of tourists, it lovingly maintains their old rolling stock.

Enough talking, following are some first impressions:

101024catalinaisland001.jpg

Ferry landing!

101024catalinaisland002.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6845/101024catalinaisland002.jpg
The roundhouse, passenger station and a cruiseship waiting for departure.

101024catalinaisland003.jpg

Look at the engine maintenance facilities

101024catalinaisland005.jpg

All aboard!

101024catalinaisland006.jpg

Another sort of oldtimers...

101024catalinaisland009.jpg

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4217/101024catalinaisland006.jpg
Tracks twisting around the marina...
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6980/101024catalinaisland009.jpg
101024catalinaisland010.jpg

The entrance to the marina

More pics:

101024catalinaisland012.jpg

Boats swaying idly in the mild breeze...

101024catalinaisland013.jpg

This big anchor denotes the place where the first settlers landed...

101024catalinaisland014.jpg

Grade crossing!

101024catalinaisland016.jpg

Holiday homes

101024catalinaisland017.jpg

This makes you wanna unpack the beach towel, swimsuit immediately and roast in the sun...

101024catalinaisland018.jpg

Two bridges cross the Catalina Creek.

101024catalinaisland021.jpg

A look at the flashy new condos at the other side of the river. Best view at the sea!

Thanks for all providing this awesome content!

More pics follow as the building continues! Comments and constructive criticism is most welcome!

Thanks and best regards from Germany,
Sebastian

Very Nice work Seb! Will follow this project, not because I'm interested in the time and trains, but the detail and ideas

Jamie

It reminds me of my vacation down to Key West, FL! I like it very much so. You've got your work cut out for you :)

wow, this is beautiful. I want to get it just to putter around in the bumble bee K-28. it would look right at home here!

Sebastian

Very nice to see another island layout and looking good so far. I like the concept because you can surround it with ocean and not be anywhere near 'the artificial edge of the world'. It's self-contained. Years ago I made a similar attempt to model Kauai, one of the Hawaiian islands (look for Kauai 2008 on the DLS). One of the problems I had was that even a small island presents a very large area to texture in Trainz. I partly solved this by scaling the DEM map down to one-third (making it one ninth of the area), but of course scenery and track curves can't be reduced in the same way, so it got a bit tight in some spots.

So, I'm wondering what your plan is to attack this size problem?

~ Deane

Back