UP West Line

Looks absolutely amazing! I live along this line ( Villa Park but I railfan Elmhurst all the time ). I just switched over from MSTS to Trainz 2012. I have made half the line for MSTS. I have a bunch of shapes made that should be able to convert for trainz fairly easily. Any thing else I can help with please let me know. I also have some route charts and diagrams of the route from Chicago to Clinton that include the change in grades along the line, sidings, stuff like that. Email me at colinmucha@gmail.com if you need anything. Cant wait for this to be released!

Colin
I do not think the forums over at Train Sim would be happy... Lol Glad you finally came over, about damn time you did too. :) Now lets get started on Chicago's Metra System.

Well well well. What's all this now?

So here I am yesterday, fixing problems and answering questions based on the recent TrainzPA release... and maybe possibly working on a few releases of my own... when I look on Facebook and see that Steven here posted on my wall saying that he might want to start working on this again. So... I guess it's about time something got done.

Colin, it's good to hear from you. Apparently everyone here knows you but me. But yeah, any help from you would be greatly appreciated, and I hope to keep in touch. Same goes to you Steve. It's good to have you back.

I was a MSTS nut for a while and was working on the UP West for that game. Thats how these guys know me, at least how Ryan knows me :D.

Like I said I have track charts that include elevations and a couple other goodies that have info about the route. I also have a bunch of custom station shapes from stations along the line, including a OTC, some bridges and a couple other random bits. Im starting some research on shape making for this game now, seeing how many polys are acceptable and how detailed I can get.

I read somewhere I think that JR does commissions? If I didn't imagine that I might look into getting a Metra set done up from them. Gorgeous equipment to go with a gorgeous route :)

Colin

OTC? Damn, we might actually have a good route going here after all! If you can figure out how to convert those files, Colin, send them over to me since that's on my section of the route. I have to redo a few sections I did sloppily and try to make it seem like I did those parts with the effort I did California Avenue shops with! :hehe:

Yup, it'll be nice to work on something more than a shortline again.

Steve

OTC? Damn, we might actually have a good route going here after all! If you can figure out how to convert those files, Colin, send them over to me since that's on my section of the route. I have to redo a few sections I did sloppily and try to make it seem like I did those parts with the effort I did California Avenue shops with! :hehe:

Yup, it'll be nice to work on something more than a shortline again.

Steve
I have Union Station complete from there out to Monte Claire so if you want to merge let me know. Also if you like I can help by working on the trackage. :)

That's the Milwaukee District Lines however, but I saw that you did pretty great with scenery and texturing as well. I have trackwork pretty much all done, minus the far west half which is just straight three track mainline. Let me know if you're interested in scenery.

That's the Milwaukee District Lines however, but I saw that you did pretty great with scenery and texturing as well. I have trackwork pretty much all done, minus the far west half which is just straight three track mainline. Let me know if you're interested in scenery.

Yes, Yes of coarse. That is actually what I'm good at. :hehe:

OTC? Damn, we might actually have a good route going here after all! If you can figure out how to convert those files, Colin, send them over to me since that's on my section of the route. <SNIP>

Or even if you want to send them to me, I'd love the chance to try to convert them.

Wonder if I could help. I'm (trying) to re-create the UP-NW line (Chicago to Harvard). Not coming out well but i'm managing.

My dream is to make the entire metra system, butI think thats a bit to much :confused: to dream about.

Chicago south and southwest

I've been working on a model of the south and southwest sides: Union Station south to 49th, southwest along Archer/i-55 to Western, and E-W along 42nd from Western to Canal, including Norfolk Southern's Ashland yard. This area intrigues me because of how many lines terminate or pass through these corridors. Shortly after completing the trackwork, a friend looked over my shoulder and asked why the sun was rising north of the loop. Sure enough, i had laid out the whole thing with east in the north! Rotated 90 degrees! A mammoth "rotate" command crashed my system... so the sun rises north of the loop on my route...
But man, am I looking forward to seeing the product of this thread, esp the custom content! I'll add a screenshot or two of my route soon.

Excellent! Yeah, I've been kept pretty occupied with either taking care of TrainzPA or working on this little steam loco I've been working on on and off since March. However, I'm quickly nearing completion on that. As soon I have that on it's way toward completion, this is going to get a lot more of my attention.

Oh, and Amtrak72. Sorry, I've been a bit busy over the past few months, and I haven't been on the forums as often as I used to. I'm afraid I must've skipped over your post somehow. :confused: Anyway, if you'd like to help, we could always get in touch through PM. I'm sure there's something you can help with.

Last edited:
sounds good. i havent been working on my route for a while. I've beendoing other things now. I havent forgot about it....(yet:eek: )

Metra South from Union Station to 45th St

Screenshots from my Chicago Southwest Side route. I am wide open to comments and suggestions.

View north from Roosevelt Rd over Union Station south yard.
396612_336656846345261_100000028452207_1388945_1742264660_n.jpg

Crossing Lumber St southbound onto the lift bridge across the Chicago River.
386262_336656903011922_100000028452207_1388947_1953887853_n.jpg

Passing thru 21st St Jct, across CN tracks and below CTA Orange Line viaduct.
408865_336657006345245_100000028452207_1388950_969438101_n.jpg

Crossing 26th St or so, thru Chinatown / Bridgeport.
377104_336657046345241_100000028452207_1388951_1886900509_n.jpg

Approaching 35th St and Cellular field (Comiskey Park), including the parking garage they never -- but should have -- built.
387252_336657066345239_100000028452207_1388952_683726615_n.jpg

Passing thru junction with NS at 42nd Street.
381237_336657079678571_100000028452207_1388953_1114547579_n.jpg

Looking north along the viaduct from 44th St. Tracks to left lead to NS's Ashland Yard -- under construction.
408539_336657119678567_100000028452207_1388954_86325076_n.jpg

Thanks for riding!

Yes, but...

JR objects? Oh right: Jointed Rail. yes, definitely.
Look at the third image, Metra SB thru 21st St Jct. Note the morning sun in the ... north :confused:. This route is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. :'( I look forward to merging the work of others into my route and figurig out my own way of weaving them together, but I would not expect others to want to try to fit my screwed-up model into theirs... So sad...
That said: To which BNSF do you refer? West along 16th St? I have modelled it west to about Racine, just east of the BNSF yard. Or SW along I-55 / Chicago River? I have modelled it out to 45th & California. I'll see about making a CDP and emailing it to you, or is there another method?

Back