N&W Steam Locomotives

farthegn

ET&WNC Conductor
Hello,
I was curious if there were any N&W steam locomotives avalible for download anywhere other than Ben Neal's 4-4-2 #606.

I have a few N&W steamers, mainly the bigger ones !!!

Go check out the US section of my website

Paul has models of the N&W Y6b 2-8-8-2 Mallet and the A class articulated 2-6-6-4. They "play" well together. ;) Paul also has an URSA 0-8-0 switcher. The last steam locomotive manufactured for commercial service in the U.S. was built by the Norfolk & Western in 1953. It was an 0-8-0 switcher based on the U.S.R.A. design. But I'm not sure if Paul has an 0-8-0 with headlight centered in the middle of the smokebox, like the N&W's had. And most of the N&Ws 0-8-0s had larger tenders than the U.S.R.A. standard tender.

Ben Neal's U.S.R.A. 2-8-8-2 is suitable for modeling the N&W Y3 or Y3a class Mallets, but of course you'd have to reletter it. Ben was also planning to release a N&W class J streamlined 4-8-4 -- there's a thread about it in the Freeware Announcement section of this forum. Ben's 2-8-0 model (w/headlight atop the smokebox) is fairly close the N&W's W2 class 2-8-0s. You could also use Ben's U.S.R.A. light 4-8-2 as something very close to the N&W's K class 4-8-2s, although the N&W Ks were technically "heavy" 4-8-2 locomotives. And since some of the N&W E class 4-6-2 had Belpaire fireboxes, you could use the Pennsy K4 that's available for Trainz as a 4-6-2 as a loco that's close to what N&W's looked like, although none of the N&W's 4-6-2s had "elephant ears". ;)

Last edited:
Back