paintshed download

Okay, that's odd - I thought Auran no longer allowed 2004 content to be uploaded to the DLS, along with other old versions of Trainz (that the earliest version they now accepted was Trainz Classics)?

Great if they still do though, as I have a ton of old 04 Paintshed content I always wanted to upload but never got around to doing. :)

EDIT: never mind, I didn't notice your point about changing the build number and fixing errors in the config file. So ignore my previous comments. :p

As for Paintshed, the only way I know to get it's content working in 09/10/12, is to use it with an old version (namely, 04), save it as 04 content, then import it via CMP into 09/10/12 - Paintshed content even works in Native Mode where as most of my other imported content was broken. So yeah, it's not such a lame duck as a lot of people dismiss it as. ;)

Last edited:
Okay, that's odd - I thought Auran no longer allowed 2004 content to be uploaded to the DLS, along with other old versions of Trainz (that the earliest version they now accepted was Trainz Classics)?

Great if they still do though, as I have a ton of old 04 Paintshed content I always wanted to upload but never got around to doing. :)

EDIT: never mind, I didn't notice your point about changing the build number and fixing errors in the config file. So ignore my previous comments. :p

As for Paintshed, the only way I know to get it's content working in 09/10/12, is to use it with an old version (namely, 04), save it as 04 content, then import it via CMP into 09/10/12 - Paintshed content even works in Native Mode where as most of my other imported content was broken. So yeah, it's not such a lame duck as a lot of people dismiss it as. ;)

I used AssetX beta 1.2 to update my paintshed creations for the DLS. I have tried out AssetX2 and it is not as good as the original.

Last edited:
Unless it is one of the Paintshed templates, or can be made by 'painting' one of them, then the answer is likely to be no.

Shane

Hey Guyz,

Way back when the company was known as Auran, they stated that paintshed was program that they will no longer support, to make long story short --

However, I do hope that N3V reconsiders that decision in the future and re-launch paintedshed!!!

For whatever reason for liking ot not liking paintshed, generally speaking, it did provide a fast way for folks without any knowledge of building their own engines, etc a fast avenus to create their own engine for their personnel use or share it with us all via the DLS! I have always felt that paintshed should have been part of today's trainz products, etc ... it has so much potential to it -- N3V should consider it, give a huge facelift, and resale it -- I am certain that many will hop on the paintshed bangwagon and buy it, I know I would -- it reaally really does save time, and help those without 3dmax or gmax knowledge to create their own skins and theme for whatever engine and rolling stock they wish!

That's my 2 cents ---
Regards
Ish

I agree Ish.

PaintShed was a great start for getting into the intricacies of creating something original. Something that is yours, and yours only, to use in your own little Worlds; or something you could share with others.

It still is a great little tool if you have it, or can get it. You can get some quite acceptable results, particularly if you replace bogey sets with something better than the “flat disk” wheels on some of the passenger and goods rolling stock.

Ok, it’s simple and very limited with a basic kit of PaintShed meshes. Reskinning a more modern and complex model can give far better results. However, PaintShed requires much less skill than reskinning with its easy to follow numbered stages. It also gives the user a very good initial insight into how the texture images need to be laid out.

All in all it’s a neat little springboard towards more complex modelling.

How difficult would it be to rebrand PaintShed with a collection of newer meshes?

An increase in texture size would also be nice, so that repaints and logos would look sharper than with current PaintShed results. The ability to replace proper couplings (not just bogeys) would be good too.

It would also be great to have a fully functioning steam locomotive in the list (preferably British!:p).

Getting into content creation is at best bewildering with mixed messages concerning gmax, Blender plus others, some expensive, or others with unacceptably high poly counts. All very confusing and off putting.

PaintShed would be a really positive first step for many.

From little acorns, great oaks grow.

Casper

The biggest issue I can see is that TS12 (trainz-build 3.5/3.6) , and probably later versions, do not support aliased meshes as much as older versions, and support for aliased meshes may drop completely in future trainz-builds.

Shane

The 04 Paintshed download on Fileplanet works very well in 06 also ... and I have had alot of fun with it ... although the Paintshed templates are extremely limited, and do not work in higher versions than 06.

also im created very more paint shed locos But my PC Crashed and it deleted somes at south american trainz using 2006 to TS12

I have a large number of Paintshed units that I built in 2004 and then imported them into 2010. There were some that would not work but most were ok. With the trucks I change them by Edit in Explorer and swap them, dont use CCP as that will bring up heaps of errors.
cheers,
Mike

Unfortunately, that will not happen L_DOG. Paintshed is obsolete, and is not designed for anything later than TRS2006, although some have reported that they have been able to get it to work in later versions, it's not officially supported.

Shane

I would not trust major geeks, I think there is hidden MAL WARE!

I've often used Majorgeeks & never had any "malware" from doing so, in fact I've had
more adware & trackers from Microsoft than any other site I use, so go figure that one. ;)

(don't forget to check for the reds under your bed) :hehe:

Last edited:
I tried to download a great northern F7 via DLS. I have TS12. Many F7 dependencies and the F7 paintshed part needed will not download..I keep getting a "?" mark. How to I solve this
Bob

Back