Framerates: An observation

Ran RegCleaner but had no idea what to look for, apart from checking for programs I had deinstalled.

Following Bill69's suggestion I have achieved a new speed record of 13.69 fps on my benchmark. Still quite a bit short of my recollection of how things used to run. Bill, why do you say this will 'get trainz running with best performance your computer is capable of'. Do you mean best with current loaded software/registry image/OS and drivers maintenance level, etc. Or are you saying I can't expect any better, even if I proceed with a clean install of OS ? I am hoping to replicate Hot_Box_Detector's success with this approach, but I'm worried about missing stuff in my backup and loosing some of my data in the process, so I don't want to go down this path if its unlikely to achieve anything.

Anyone else have a story like Hot_Box_Detector's ?

About RegCleaner, at least the "Standard" version I have, select "quick scan" then "Clean Now". When "Scan Complete", click "view details" on the "Safe to delete" line, if there are any found, check the boxes of those to delete and click "Delete" at the top of the window. Taa Daa!
If you want to delete the "Unknown" or "Not fully safe to delete" well, good luck.;)

Thanks SuperFudd. The version of RegCleaner I downloaded is 4.3, and the menu options don't match you description. However, there was an 'auto' option which I selected which offered a similiar list of suggested deletions. Accepting these suggestions doesn't seem to have caused any grief, and has added another 1 fps. I have now reached a blistering average 14.71 fps!

So by tweaking my registry and running without extraneous programs via diagnostic mode I have been able to improve my performance by around 40%. Furthermore, the improvement is more noticeable than the 40% might suggest, as it seems to have doubled frame rates in the worst affected areas. Still not fantastic, but verging on no slide show !

I think for now I might accept that this is good as it gets on this laptop. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Phil.

Another registry cleaner..

Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread and it is very interesting and informative.

I use a registry cleaner call RegSupremePro ver 1.2...Note..I have NO affiliation with this company. The really good thing with this cleaner is that it allows you to make a backup of what will be fixed or removed...prior to taking action, so you can get back without any problem.

Information here>> http://www.macecraft.com/

I do run a Dell Workstation M60 Laptop with no issues. Was a beta tester for TRS 06 and SP1 using the lap.

Saw the latest post from FootplatePhil and glad to see that considerable improvment has been made.

Regards,
Ron

Trainz Performance

Hi Phil,

I think the only way you could get better performance is to clean everything off and reformat the HD, then do custom install of XP useing only the nessessary windows features, then install nothing but Trainz.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi All,

There is a very simple way to get trainz running with best performance your computer is capable of.

LC START, run MSCONFIG, select diagnostic startup click ok then reboot.

This will start only the nessessary system functions and nothing else.

Cheers,
Bill69
:eek: Tried this and, upon restart, was informed that major change required me to re register with MS (XP-SP2). Had to go through Bill Gate's rigmarole to have Windows open.:eek:
Did I press the wrong button, am I mad?:confused:

Sorry Ess1 - can't help - I have XP Sp2 (which Bill has recently verified as a legit copy during the update to IE7 and WMP11), but didn't get this message.

Thanks Bill69 for quick reply. Have to visit my oncologist tomorrow but will gird my loins and try again upon return home.

Back