Shadow mesh fix tutorial

I get a black box. When I go to ccp and add the shadow.im to the mesh in the config file it shows as a square box over tank car in the game. Shows no faults or warnings just a huge black box going down the track.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the black box is what you get when using Pev's QuickShadows program. That's how it creates the shadow file.

You're not wrong Dave, but the black box isn't the only or the best option. You can also set it to make a "full shadow". This uses the full original mesh but replaces the textures with its own built-in black texture (ie. you don't need to provide any images or texture.txt files to go with the shadow).

While you're busy setting the Options, it's also a good idea to set the X,Y,Z scale to a little less than 100% of the main mesh outer dimensions. This is so the black shadow mesh will never poke outside the main mesh. I usually have X,Y,Z set to 0.95 (=95%).

You're not wrong Dave, but the black box isn't the only or the best option. You can also set it to make a "full shadow". This uses the full original mesh but replaces the textures with its own built-in black texture (ie. you don't need to provide any images or texture.txt files to go with the shadow).

While you're busy setting the Options, it's also a good idea to set the X,Y,Z scale to a little less than 100% of the main mesh outer dimensions. This is so the black shadow mesh will never poke outside the main mesh. I usually have X,Y,Z set to 0.95 (=95%).

However, if you make a 'full shadow' based on a mesh of over 3000 polys, TS12 will give you a box anyway, and earlier versions will slow up, as high poly shadows have been found to be a frame rate killer...

If the item you are generating shadows for has LOD, make sure you use the lowest LOD level for the shadow.

PEV has also mentioned am improved way of making better shaped shadows in future.

Paul

Okay here are my settings in QuickShadow:

quickshadowpic.jpg

and here is what i'm getting when I apply it in the config.txt

blacktankcar.jpg

David, I sure wish I could help you on this but I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone a little better at the shadow program will read this and offer a solution.

Dave

Back