Object presentation in Trainz2009

belgian46

Hello,

Whenever I start a route within Trainz2009 the object presentation is rather poor. When running a train, some objects ( like tracks, trees, scenery ( in general ) appear at the very last second.
Recently, I started with the creation of a simple testroute ( some tracks, 2 buildings, 4 hills , one train ) and there I also have the same phenomenon.
My videocard is ASUS EAH 4650 1GB - proc : intel core 2 Quad 8400 - Mem : 6gb
I use Win XP prof SP2 - windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 ( wine 1.2 )( Trainz2009 runs but I have no sound ( with other programs sound is functioning )

Does anyone have a solution?

Best regards :wave:

belgian46: The first thing I have to ask you..Are you correctly registered? If so the next thing would be to do extended data base repair..The next thing you might try are you running DirectX or OpenGL?? Are you running in a Native mode??

belgian46: The first thing I have to ask you..Are you correctly registered? If so the next thing would be to do extended data base repair..The next thing you might try are you running DirectX or OpenGL?? Are you running in a Native mode??

Hello BobCass,

Thank you for your reply. :)

Answering your questions.

I am correctly registered.
I did an extended data base repair : received 27 errors ( item doesn't match the database item - so, I think that those errors are not related to the slow presentation of the scenery.
I'm running OpenGL. Did the test by switching to DirextX. Result - DirectX was even worser - At a certain time I saw only a train, nothing else. :eek:
Logically - changed back to OpenGL.

Native mode ( I'm using the Dutch version of Trainz 2009 ). Found no explanation of Native mode in the Dutch manual.
However, I located the option by using the Graphics tabulator ( options - Trainz configuration ). Switched to Native mode.
Result : little improvement - but not a hip hip hooray feeling.

I've got the best improvement with my testroute, which is logic, because there is nearly nothing in it.

The same result occurs wheather I use a fix HD or a external HD.

I do not know if another videocard would help

Hello,

I did the same test with a pc which has the following attributes :

Proc : Intel core I7 cpu X980
HP Quadro FX 1800 Graphics Card - nVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 768MB GDDR3 SDRAM ( this card has a price of 640 euro )
Mem : 6GB

Unfortunately : I have the same result.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6MP6PDW

Best regards

Last edited:
I found your problem! You have service pack 2 yet it (not so) clearly says that the minimum requirement is service pack 3.* I had the same problem and service pack 3 makes an unbelieveably massive impact on capabilities universally through your computer.

*It says SP2 on the box but on the website it states SP3.

Hope that solves your problems, it did it for a PC from 2006 so it will do it for yours.

I found your problem! You have service pack 2 yet it (not so) clearly says that the minimum requirement is service pack 3.* I had the same problem and service pack 3 makes an unbelieveably massive impact on capabilities universally through your computer.

*It says SP2 on the box but on the website it states SP3.

Hope that solves your problems, it did it for a PC from 2006 so it will do it for yours.

Hello FlyingScottmond,

Thank you for your reply. It's probably not related to SP3.
I have the problem with SP1, SP2 and SP3. By the way, I have the Dutch version of Trainz2009.

Best regards

Have you looked into your TS09 options regards drawing distance, running native/compatibility mode etc. Slide all options to minimum and check how this behaves in game. Do the same with the settings to sort of medium and check how the game behaves and finally maximize all and check again in game.

Your video card is not exactly a top card, this might be a bottle neck there as TS09 and TS10 are VERY graphic intensive and place an exceptional load on your video card and its performance.

You also might have some other programs running in the background while you are into TS09 game mode, check with Task Manager if there are some other programs running as well (windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 ( wine 1.2 ) etc.). Which takes heaps of resources away from TS09 and degrades its performance.

Re sound, what does your Control Panel/System/Hardware/DeviceManager tell you regards Sound? Are there any yellow questionmarks there or is all 100% there? Have you a Sound Chip on your motherboard which you can enable/install for WinXP? Or have you an SoundCard in your PC which is not enabled/installed or possibly wrongly configured?? As you have another Win7 and UBUNTU running in your PC, there might be some confusions/conflicts/configuration issues of what is installed for WinXPPro.

At the very least, if you have a friend with a medium specced PC, try TS09 there and compare its performance to see if it is your PC only that does what it does.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Hello VinnyBarb,

Thank you for your reply :) .
Will have a look at all internal settings within Trainz2009. ( Report ASAP ).

I have different Harddisks. Every harddisk has its own operating system. I don't use dual or triple boot systems.
About Sound - my sound card Creative Audigy doesn't give a sound when starting Trainz2009 in Ubuntu 10.04 ( 64 bit ). When I start Ubuntu, I have sound. When I play music in Ubuntu, I have sound.
In Win XP prof and Win 7 64-bit no probs with sound, even in Trainz2009.

In answer #4 of this thread, I said

I did the same test with a pc which has the following attributes :

Proc : Intel core I7 cpu X980
HP Quadro FX 1800 Graphics Card - nVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 768MB GDDR3 SDRAM ( this card has a price of 640 euro )
Mem : 6GB

This graphical card is a flyer - but I had the same results. On this system I used an external HD ( usb ).

I will check my pc again - perhaps reinstall everything on a brand new HD.

Best reagards :wave:

Last edited:
Hello,

Some pictures about the situation.

Best regards. :wave:

Hello,

I re-installed Windows Xp prof SP3 and windows 7 on two seperate HD.
Re-installed Trainz2009 ( Dutch version, but installation in English and SP1,2,3 ).
Result with videocard Asus Eah4650 didn't change.
Did some performance tests ( 3dbenchmark, future mark ).
The score in the 2D section - solid vectors and Transparent vectors was very poor. 1.37/10 for solid vectors and 1.51/10 for Transparent vectors.

So I went to the local PC-shop and bought the Twintech Nvdia GTS250.
Removed the Asus 4650 videocard with the drivers and installed the new Twintech GTS250 videocard.
Started Trainz2009.

Result : Good result with Windows Xp SP3. Again I executed the performance tests - Scores in 2D section was a big improvement.
8/10 for solid vectors 7.5/10 Transparent vectors. :)

Did the same with windows 7 - performance tests within 2D section were just like the results with the Asus 4650 videocard - being poor. :confused:

Fps ( tested with trial-version of Fraps ) within Windows 7 was lower than within Win xp prof SP3.

I will now search for the reason why videocard Twintech GTS 250 is giving me this result within Trainz2009 and OS Windows 7.

Is your PC one that originally had video built in the main board? If so, maybe the old "card" or it's driver is not properly disabled?

Hello SuperFudd,

No, the MSI motherboard has no video-chip. PCI-e slot is being used.
However, will verify again if old videodrivers are gone.
I installed last available videodrivers of the new videocard.

Hello,

I re-installed Windows Xp prof SP3 and windows 7 on two seperate HD.
Re-installed Trainz2009 ( Dutch version, but installation in English and SP1,2,3 ).
Result with videocard Asus Eah4650 didn't change.
Did some performance tests ( 3dbenchmark, future mark ).
The score in the 2D section - solid vectors and Transparent vectors was very poor. 1.37/10 for solid vectors and 1.51/10 for Transparent vectors.

So I went to the local PC-shop and bought the Twintech Nvdia GTS250.
Removed the Asus 4650 videocard with the drivers and installed the new Twintech GTS250 videocard.
Started Trainz2009.

Result : Good result with Windows Xp SP3. Again I executed the performance tests - Scores in 2D section was a big improvement.
8/10 for solid vectors 7.5/10 Transparent vectors. :)

Did the same with windows 7 - performance tests within 2D section were just like the results with the Asus 4650 videocard - being poor. :confused:

Fps ( tested with trial-version of Fraps ) within Windows 7 was lower than within Win xp prof SP3.

I will now search for the reason why videocard Twintech GTS 250 is giving me this result within Trainz2009 and OS Windows 7.

Win7 64 bit drivers are a bit flaky in OpenGL, getting better with each update but still pretty poor. If thats what you were using try DirectX, you may need to install the latest directX9c run time files though as DX10 /11 are not fully backwards compatible with some cards and Trainz needs DX9c.

Hello Clam1952,

I'm using Direct X instead of OpenGl. Results with OpenGl are not good.
Version Direct X = 9.0c

In windows 7 , I found that the system is using it's own video-driver ( WDDMv1.1 ) ( Vista is using WDDM v1.0 ).
That could be the reason why the results within the performance test are poor in the section 2D solid vectors and transparent vectors.

Running Trainz2009 in Compatibility mode Windows XP sp 3 has no impact on the results of the performance test within the 2D section.

Running Trainz2009 in a 100% Windows XP prof SP3 environment gives a better result

Continuing the search ...

Hello,

Dxdiag in Windows XP prof sp 3 - shows me direct X 9.c
In windows 7 - direct 11

Does anyone know the impact of Direct X 11 on Trainz 2009?

Has anyone already removed Direct X 11 in windows 7?

Re-installed Direct X 9.c

What was the result?

The Quadro graphics cards are not designed for gaming, they are designed for professional 3D work, which is both more and less demanding at the same time. They are good at what they do, but they are lousy for gaming, often performing far worse than the equivalent-sounding consumer card should. They are also hideously expensive - in fact the price of 640€ you stated is probably low end for a Quadro, they rapidly go into the thousands.

This is one of those situations where price does not always mean better performance.

This is probably the cause of your problems - as you discovered, buying a consumer graphics card (the GTS250) improved your output.

Hello,
Has anyone already removed Direct X 11 in windows 7?

No, because this is not possible, it is part of the operating system and cannot be removed (only upgraded - it might be theoretically possible to downgrade to DirectX 10, but it would offer no benefit in this situation, or really any other).

Re-installed Direct X 9.c

What was the result?

DirectX 9.x and DirectX 10/11 are seperate entities, they co-exist, DirectX 10/11 do not replace DirectX 9, and only a minimal install of DirectX 9.x is included with Windows 7, enough to support commonly used applications - but often not enough for games.

It is strongly suggested that you install a full copy of the latest version of DirectX 9.0c on Windows 7 for gaming. Remember, it will not replace DirectX 11, but will co-exist.

Hello NIKKIA

Thank you for your information. Re-installed direct X 9c in windows 7.
However, in my case no change in presentation of routes.
Scenery is slowly presented on my screen. Direct X is better than OpenGL.
Windows Xp prof SP3 has a better performance - using same settings.
Performance test of my computer is better in Win XP prof Sp3 than in Win 7.

The search goes on ...

Meanwhile I will use Win xp prof sp 3 for routeplaying and building.

Not sure if this actually makes any difference but I disable indexing on the drive I have Trainz installed on in Win7.

Could try adjusting the display settings in the Nvidia Control Panel? Improved things a lot here, using a GT240

Under 3d settings, use the Trainz2004 settings, it does work for any version over 2004.

My settings at present are:

Ambient occlusion = not supported
Anistropic Filtering = Application Controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma correction = On
Antialiasing - mode = Application controlled
Antialiasing - setting = Application Controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency = 2x (supersample)
CUDA - GPU's = Global (all) - only one so doubt if that makes any difference anyway
Maximum pre-rendered frames = 5
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode
Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance
Texture Filtering Anistropic sample optimisation = On
Texture - filtering Negative LOD bias = Clamp
Texture Filtering - Quality = Quality
Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimization = On
Threaded optimization = global (auto)
Triple buffering = Off
Texture Filtering - Anistropic filter optimization = Off
Vertical Sync = global (use 3d applications settings)

Back