Upgrade 2006 to 2010 Advice please?

jules22

Hello Oh Knowledgeable Ones!

I have 2006 which despite one or two problems runs well enough, even with a complex layout. I am tempted to upgrade to 2010, but am cautious with the thought that: 'if it works ok - leave it be!'

I am assuming that everything I have in 2006 will work in 2010. I back up the local and d_x files regularly, which perfectly reninstalls the whole thing in the event of a major crash etc. If I install 2010 and replace these files, will my layout all come back as it does with 2006 ?

What major improvements in 2010 would make me want to upgrade?

Advice appreciated

Jules

Ah - the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

I would advise caution if upgrading to 2010 from 2006 - a lot of content that works OK with 2006 is likely to be flagged as faulty and not work in 2010.

Also, out of the Trainz versions I am currently using (TRS2006 and TS2009) I prefer 2006 as my route will not run properly in 2009.

It would be a case of weighing up the pros (eg higher resolution, improved modules) against having to possibly fix a number of faulty assets.

Also, the system requirements for 2010 are a fair bit higher than 2006.

Shane

Merging of routes is dodgy still. Lots of bugs. Also when in driver the draw distance drops to 1500metres. Not very good if used to Trainz Tuner.

Thanks I'll leave well alone

Ah - the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

I would advise caution if upgrading to 2010 from 2006 - a lot of content that works OK with 2006 is likely to be flagged as faulty and not work in 2010.

Also, out of the Trainz versions I am currently using (TRS2006 and TS2009) I prefer 2006 as my route will not run properly in 2009.

It would be a case of weighing up the pros (eg higher resolution, improved modules) against having to possibly fix a number of faulty assets.

Also, the system requirements for 2010 are a fair bit higher than 2006.

Shane

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks I'll leave well alone
J

Another opinion. I have both 2006 and 2010 installed. These days, the only time 06 gets fired up is if I am looking to see if I have content previously downloaded that is missing from a recently downloaded route. Content that the creator did not upload to he DLS. Maybe had their own site but it no longer exists, and an e-mail to the creator gets no response.

Yes, you will need to spend some time fixing assets that have errors. When I moved all the content from 06 to 10 I had many errors. Of 55,000 kuids about 3,500 had errors. The majority are very easy to fix. Using Notepad, Irfanview and some of Pev's tools I fixed all but 2 dozen of them. Those last few were not critical to the route. Static objects that I either replaced with a similar item or deleted from the route.

Merging routes. If that is important to you then maybe sticking with 06 is the way to go. I played with the merge option a few years ago but have no real interest in using it. As I have not used it in 2010 I cannot say if it works correctly or not.

Basically, I've had issues with every version of Trainz that I have owned. It all depends on which issues you are willing to put up with. However, despite getting all these opinions from us, you still won't know if you can put up with 2010's quirks unless you try it.

Doug

Back