Tell me it's true Ed --

deeelare

#1-on members ignore list
Euphod ,

Are you back for at least a little while ?
Can you give some information as to your absence , and hopefully
some good news on your eyesight ?

Be still my little heart , ---,DLR

Quote -"In Duke's world this is all real ****. These ******* aliens are here and they're ******* our planet up and they're taking our chicks. There's a reason for that, and Duke is the only guy who can stop them. In his universe, that all makes perfect sense. As a result, he is the most important person in his universe. And he knows it. He enjoys it. He franchises it! He's got Duke Burgers opened up all over the country. It's a weird universe, but it works for him. He's the king!" - End of Quote

Any updates on your vision , I am hoping either through surgery and /or whatever , it has improved or at least stabilized ?

--- ,DLR

Eyeballs are better to an extent, through medication. Surgery is something I'm not able to pull the trigger on just yet. I can see well enough, with magnification to get by right now and I have too many other obligations otherwise to take a chance.
Thanks for asking, I appreciate your concern. I don't consider myself "back" exactly, because I'm pretty much past Trainz like a kid who has eaten too much candy! I'm working on a real model layout, and sometimes take a break and stop in like the old days; that's all.
You take care there, "Mighty D"!:wave:

I have noticed that constantly using the Computer, and it's "white background pages", and especially Laptops, which are much too bright, these cause eye damage.

Also, all the super bright LED's all over your eqipment are unknowingly beaming gamma (EDIT: or some other bright light) rays into the back of everyones retina and periferal vision. I have all my LEDs subdued by covering them up with little tabs of paper with stickytape, all over the place.

Also with a PC screen, your eye is constantly searching to find the depth of field, and to locate a virtual object, that is not an object at all, and is a virtual entity.

I use "Blue Blocker" (as seen on TV) or "Wrap Around-DR's Cataract Operation"-Gold Tinted sunglasses, when using the computer. Also a trashpicked Old Coffee Table Gold/Brown Tinted 18"x18" Tabletop Glass is my sceensaver, which I have propped up, and taped to my PC monitor.

Why is everything written: in so blasted infantesimally small print nowdays ? And why is everything labeled, or typed on a webpages on a non-complimentary colored background like dark blue letters on a light blue backround ?

I hope your vision is improving, Ed.

Last edited:
I hate to argue, but LEDs don't emmit gamma radiation. If they did, a little scorched retina would be the least of your worries. Trust me on this one.

They are way to bright though, and probably doing damage that way.

Good to hear that you are feeling a bit better Euphod.

Ed ,

Thanks for the update , I am certain there are many other members who were/are concerned .
Keep us informed on your new railroad project , maybe a screenshot now and again as it progresses .
FYI , I traded in my HO for G scale approximately 10 years ago , somehow my fingers had slowly transformed into thumbs .

Your forum friend , ---dave

Ed
Somewhere, I've missed what the problem is with your eyes, but I do hope that they're getting better. It's good to see you drop in from time to time. I'm about like you. My Trainz days are about gone, but I still like to drop in on the forums just to see what people are talking about.
Best of luck to you
Mike

I have noticed that constantly using the Computer, and it's "white background pages", and especially Laptops, which are much too bright, these cause eye damage.

Also, all the super bright LED's all over your eqipment are unknowingly beaming gama rays into the back of everyones retina and periferal vision. I have all my LEDs subdued by covering them up with little tabs of paper with stickytape, all over the place.

Also with a PC screen, your eye is constantly searching to find the depth of field, and to locate a virtual object, that is not an object at all, and is a virtual entity.

I use "Blue Blocker" (as seen on TV) or "Wrap Around-DR's Cataract Operation"-Gold Tinted sunglasses, when using the computer. Also a trashpicked Old Coffee Table Gold/Brown Tinted 18"x18" Tabletop Glass is my sceensaver, which I have propped up, and taped to my PC monitor.

Why is everything written: in so blasted infantesimally small print nowdays ? And why is everything labeled, or typed on a webpages on a non-complimentary colored background like dark blue letters on a light blue backround ?

I hope your vision is improving, Ed.

I hate to argue, but LEDs don't emmit gamma radiation. If they did, a little scorched retina would be the least of your worries. Trust me on this one.

They are way to bright though, and probably doing damage that way.

Good to hear that you are feeling a bit better Euphod.

I can't verify if LEDs put out gamma (I'm pretty sure they do) however if your worried about the gamma rays from LEDs. I can almost guarantee that you'll get more exposure to gamma radiation from being outside in the sun they you would off from all the LEDs in your house.

I on the subject of computer screens there have been studies that have proven that white text on a black field is easier on the eyes than black text on a white field; when on a screen; it is the opposite however for printed material; this is somewhat backwards to what people think however.

Sadly (and no offense) after reading your post I feel I have to ask if you keep yourself wrapped in aluminum foil cascade?

peter

My brilliantly blinding LED PC "ON " button, completely lights up the wall, 20 foot distant ... what does that tell about the LED you look at for 12 hours straight, 365 days a year, if you are 14 inches away ? BEEEEEEEM "O" Light... right in the old eyeball ! Mybe not Gamma, but it's IR, UV or something not natural and healthy to the human eyeball and retina.

I'm not wearing this "tin-foil" dunce cap, for no good reason !

Never before in history, has the human race been subjected: to super bright Quartz Halogen, Mercury 10,000K Vapor Lamps, staring at blinding automobile lights, bombarded by microwaves, cell phone RF, Dupont Teflon, PCB's, Plastics, and other commonly ingested chemicals, that we use to heat and package our foods, as we are today. It is unknown just how many of this generation will go blind, deaf, or end up with desease's dirrectly linked to untested modern technological devices and products. The FDA tests 0.1% of the products we use everyday, everything else is untested, and the results will remain unknown, until millions of human Guinea pigs do the real time testing.

EDIT: Even by using Averted Vision (perriferal vision) eyes can be damaged by Arc Welding flash's, and other bright lights ... even if you are not looking dirrectly at the source.

Better knock off the bananas, Cascaderailroad. ;)
Haaa ! That was a good one !

I once made a gallon of milk, blended with a whole container of vanilla ice cream, using 21 blackened bananas ... I got the worst headache in my life (potasium overdose), ... and a case of the screamin' MeeMee's !

I have heard that carrots are a help to ones eyesight, along with plenty of sunlight (which helps with the bodies production of Vitamin D) .. so I guess I better cut back on my hours on the PC ... or else move my PC outside to a sunroom !

There was a 1960's song about a real life truck accident involving a truckload of "30,000 lbs of bananas" losing control downhill in scranton Pa, and a school bus full of children ... (Cascaderailroad is humming that song) The truck driver didn't (and no one else did either) die, but there were bananas everywhere! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMye94wMfk&feature=related

Last edited:
1st) your doing it wrong; your supposed to be looking at the screen not the power button :p

2nd) I never said LEDs can't be bright (that's one of the reasons they are so popular; they can be very bright with very little power needed.) I just said you'll get more gamma rays from being in the sun they you will from an LED.

peter

Most people's primary source of gamma exposure is naturally occurring radionuclides, particularly potassium-40, which is found in soil and water, as well as meats and high-potassium foods such as bananas.

Better knock off the bananas, Cascaderailroad. ;)

I should have clarified BTW. When I said that they didn't give off gamma, I really meant, not enough to be harmful. Just the normal level that the body is subjected to.

It is sort of like the vaporous mercury in the new light bulbs. Yes, mercury vapor is deadly, but there really isn't enough in them to cause any real harm unless you are constantly breaking them, then inhaling the vapor every day.

I do agree that some LED lights on computers are annoying. If I had one shining in my eyes, I would cover it as well. Not because of gamma rays in my eyes, or UV or anything like that, but because it would be annoying.

Oh, and IR isn't harmful. The wavelengths are too big. It is when you get the smaller wavelengths, towards the UV side of the spectrum, that there starts to be penetration of the skin, and thus issues in high doses.

Also, every part of the light spectrum is natural.

LEDs generally emit in and around the visible spectrum (400-700 nm).

They don't even come close to emitting anything in the gamma end of the spectrum which is 0.0000000001 nm.

Here is a wiki quote:

"They [gamma rays] are produced by sub-atomic particle interactions such as electron-positron annihilation, neutral pion decay, radioactive decay, fusion, fission or inverse Compton scattering in astrophysical processes."

None of these processes seem to be happening in my 5c LED!

LEDs generally emit in and around the visible spectrum (400-700 nm).

They don't even come close to emitting anything in the gamma end of the spectrum which is 0.0000000001 nm.

Here is a wiki quote:

"They [gamma rays] are produced by sub-atomic particle interactions such as electron-positron annihilation, neutral pion decay, radioactive decay, fusion, fission or inverse Compton scattering in astrophysical processes."

None of these processes seem to be happening in my 5c LED!

Yeah...LED's emitting gamma rays is total nonsense. Then, of course, so is Bigfoot, and some people believe in him (her?). :D

Cheers,
J. F. Baugh, Ph.D. Physics

Last edited:
Eyeballs are better to an extent, through medication. Surgery is something I'm not able to pull the trigger on just yet. I can see well enough, with magnification to get by right now and I have too many other obligations otherwise to take a chance.
Thanks for asking, I appreciate your concern. I don't consider myself "back" exactly, because I'm pretty much past Trainz like a kid who has eaten too much candy! I'm working on a real model layout, and sometimes take a break and stop in like the old days; that's all.
You take care there, "Mighty D"!:wave:

Nice intentions for a new life, Ed. ;) In particular, the last one... 'breaking' on through to the other side... of old days.

Take care.

The wishing-a-braking-break side of Alberte :wave:

Back