Warship Liveries

mbv67

Epoche IV
Hey guys, its your loyal information servant, mbv67 here.

I need a little help, because I want to know what liveries the D800 warships Carried in 1968-1971, to be more specific which locomotive carried which livery. Examples, D815 Druid would still be in Maroon, and D822 would be in the first rail blue variant with the BR arrows under the numbers under the windows, like D864 Zambesi carried.

Any help would be appreciated.

Taken from http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/d800m_in.htm ...............
All members of the class were delivered in the standard BR green livery with a white stripe at waist height along the body sides, however numbers D859 - 65 were delivered with a small yellow panel around the headcodes.

Also note the different Engines used across the class.

Here's what I'm thinking.

I think I just answered own question. Well the Class 42/43's were all in various colors in the late 1960's starting with mid-to-late 1966. Well I think we all know D864 Zambesi was the first of all the D800's (from both classes) to get blue (either blue with small panels or standard with full yellow ends) and I just realized that the North British 43's had got blue before the Swindon Built 42's, and that's a little odd. Many of the D800's were still in green or maroon with small yellow panels at that time. The Western Region was still unique because of the way they did things there, because when blue was being introduced, I can conclude that they tried many experiments with the blue paint. D830 Majestic (Paxman Warship) and D831 Monarch had got blue with small yellow panels with D830 having the BR double arrow logo over the nameplate (it was later repainted in standard blue but had still had the odd position of the logo over the nameplate.) Also Class 43 D846 Steadfast and D847 Strongbow carried this livery, as seen on many sites for proof. D864's style of rail blue was quickly added to a whole bunch of other 43's, and a chunk of the 42's (D804, D813, D821 surprisingly, D822-D827, and probably a D86x Class 42). Maroon with full yellow ends started to appear on some of the 42's (D809, D815, and D817, and many others) Green full yellow ends only appeared on D810, (if someone can clarify for another, please do.) D831 Monarch stayed in its form of blue with arrows under the windows and the numbers behind the doors until it was repainted and later retired in 1971. D810 got repainted into the standard form of blue that was common on the 42's but much more rare on the North British 43's. It appears that D864's style of rail blue was the norm on the 43's and many of them were retired in this form of blue. Also many Class 42/43's were still in maroon half yellow ends in this particular time period (1968-1971).

Well I hope this is good information, because it sure was good for me, matter of fact I thought of all this.

Last edited:

Btw, just a minor point...

I'd avoid using reference.com, as their pages, such as this, are poor copies of wikipedia, often lacking additional non-text content.

In this particular case, it just misses some images, but the rest is word-for-word a copy of wikipedia, with poorer formatting.

(Compare the text with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_42 )

Back