What's your favorite locomotive?

TorenHynes

The Maple Leaf Forever
Hi everyone
I just would like to know what locomotive(s) is (are) your favorite(s). It can be from any country in the world. Mine are listed below.
  • D&RGW K-36
  • F-M Trainmaster
  • EMD SW1
  • EMD GP9
  • EMD F-7
  • EMD SD40
  • CP Class T1 Selkirks
  • CN U2G Northern
  • DB Class 101
That's it.

This one

DSC00918.jpg

This one

100_4493.jpg

and my personal favorite locomotive

drgw473_2006_1.jpg

Also quite fond of D&RGW 5371, one of the few diesel I got to sit in the cab of, I spend most of my time around steam locomotives

even though I don't have a picture of them but here is a list of my favorite steam engines:

1.4-6-0 ten wheeler #1385
2.the gorgeous southern ps-4
3.southern 2-8-2 mikado #4501
3.T&P 2-10-4 #610
4.4-8-8-4 big boy
5. 4-6-6-4 challenger
6.4-12-2
7.FEF 4-8-4
8.2-8-4 berkshire
9,Union pacific 4-12-2
10.K5B 4-6-2 pacific

and that's it.;)

Last edited:
I think, Klinger, you mean D&RGW K-27 #463, and the WS Class C Shay 12.
Do you own a real steam locomotive Klinger?!

Last edited:
He works for the Colorado Railroad Muesum. Basicly like owning them:hehe: .

Mine? In order

SP 4-6-0 T-1 2248

Ex CB&Q E8 9920 (9990).

All the SPNG Engines.

I wish that I could have my own working steam, diesel or even gasoline locomotive, even if it's only on 1 ft gauge or so.
Maybe someday I'll go to the Colorado Railroad museum and see the trains. Where in Colorado is it? (I know more about the surface of the moon than the USA. I've never been there, only seen it from the highway in Ontario across the St Lawrence)

Favorite Locomotive reply

Mine are all steam locomotives:
1) PRR class E6s 4-4-2
2) PRR class L1s 2-8-2
3) S&NY RR no. 113 4-4-0
4) S&NY RR no. 116 2-8-0

Thanks.

I wish that I could have my own working steam, diesel or even gasoline locomotive, even if it's only on 1 ft gauge or so.

Maybe someday I'll go to the Colorado Railroad museum and see the trains. Where in Colorado is it? (I know more about the surface of the moon than the USA. I've never been there, only seen it from the highway in Ontario across the St Lawrence)

Its in Golden Colorado. If you make it all the way to colorado, you have to try to go farther south and ride the Narrow Gauge, Durango & Silverton, Cumbres & Toltec, and the standard gauge San Luis & Rio Grande AKA Rio Grande Scienic. All three ex Rio Grande lines, all three offer their own diferent version of Mountian railroading, and all are within an hours drive at least of one another.

Plus, at the SL&RG, one can get a cab ride in their steam engine, up a 3% grade!!:udrool:

Can you get to the diffrent places by train from Halifax?
I've heard about the C&TS and the D&S and will go there someday guranteed.
Some more favorite locos to add:
The Samson (preserved at the Museum of Industry in Nova Scotia)
The CN steam locomotive at the Brighton Railway Museum
The W&ARR General
The V&T Monguls
The Countess of Dufferin, the first loco to ever be put into service on the Canadian Pacific Railway (known by Nova Scotians as the Domminion Atlantic Railway)
The two truck heislers (Arctic)

It's always nice to see a rare locomotive on the rails. All I can say is that I hope the locomotive will stay on the rails for many years to come.
Mass Central Railroad has an EMD NW5, of which only 13 were built. It owns ex-Southern Railroad No. 2100. You can find it by googleing "EMD NW5".

The Colorado Railroad Museum

The Colorado Railroad Museum is just west of Colorado's capital, Denver, between Wheat Ridge and Golden immediately north of the MillerCoors brewery. Some people tour both in the same day. With free beer at the end of the tour, who could argue? If you do both, I recommend the museum first, as the staff appreciates sober evaluations of the collection. ;)

I've been going to the museum since I was very young and it is still my favorite place to visit in Denver (I grew up in Wheat Ridge). If you are planning for a visit from out of state, check with their office to make sure of their steam up dates.

If you're interested, there's a lot more to do in Colorado that's rail related, especially from May through September. The short list around Denver would be the museum, Tiny Town Railroad, Colorado Live Steamers, UP Burnham shops, North Yard, Union Station, the Joint Line, and the Georgetown Loop Railroad.

This is my first post :) , mostly because I can't resist a question about Colorado's Railroads! I even write about them in a blog. Still, I can't imagine not hanging around, as I have always been interested in the Trainz simulator.

Steve Walden
Colorado Railroads blog

Editor@corailroads.com

Any first generation diesel
Tweetsie Number 12
wabash f7 (don't know it's number)
Any seaboard or southern locomotive
Basically all Frisco locomotives
And my favorite would have to be the TH&B GP-7s, I just love the paint scheme!

These are mine:
  • LNER steam locos
  • LMS steam locos
  • BR steam locos
  • GWR steam locos
Basically all British steam locos!
And QR C17s and PB15s. I have ridden in the cab of C17 720 at the Rosewood railway museum and the PB15 at the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway (QPSR).

Last edited:
My favourite Trainz loco is the NBL D600 Class by tmz06003. I "cabbed" the last surviving example in Barry scrapyard in 1979 after she had been rotting there for 11 years and she was scrapped in 1980. Like the real thing the Trainz version is huge and impressive with a really smooth hydraulic engine sound (2000 horsepower).

Back