Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks-Surveyor

Quote Originally Posted by lewisner View Post
    "jrockey" I believe it is possible to overlay Google images onto a Trainz baseboard but so far that is rocket science as far as I am concerned.What I mean is that (mainly if you are doing a Proto route) if you download a Google image at the highest resolution and use it to Texture your fields the result is far more accurate than it would be if you went out and looked at the place from ground level.So, when you build it and then view it in Surveyor (3D) at ground level the result will be very accurate.Does that make sense?An aerial view of things is quite different from a ground view-you see the "bigger picture".
    TransDEM offers semi-automatic functionality for Google Earth images and their placement in Trainz Surveyor.

geophil
    Last edited by geophil; February 24th, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

United States of America, Waterbury, CT, USA

Martinvk,

Cool tool! I did as you described above and it works great. One question, once you move and place the track, can you delete the guides leaving the track in the correct orientation? When I deleted the guides after moving the track to where I wanted it, the track snapped back to being straight.

I am concerned about a framerate hit if I leave the guides in place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hillclimber View Post
    Cool, how do i get that?
    For the guides, on the DLS search by kuid
    70337:23083:2 - 23091:2, 23094:2 and 23096:2
    As for the track, in the example I used one of my own early creations that was never released but there are plenty of others on the DLS.

70337:
    TRS19 build 100240 and 103369 Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leader2302 View Post
    Martinvk,

Cool tool! I did as you described above and it works great. One question, once you move and place the track, can you delete the guides leaving the track in the correct orientation? When I deleted the guides after moving the track to where I wanted it, the track snapped back to being straight.

I am concerned about a framerate hit if I leave the guides in place.
    The guides are active objects, keeping the track locked in a specific orientation. Removing them frees the track to change.

Since the only things that show in Driver are the two small concrete blocks, the mini tower and the sign, (and they are low poly) I never worried too much about frame rate issues. The rest are Surveyor only parts.

I could be wrong, feel free to correct me, but I always thought that if an object is declared Surveyor only, it would not impact the frame rate since Driver doesn't have to render it.

70337:
    TRS19 build 100240 and 103369 Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leader2302 View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. ...
    That's OK. However, it's not as bad as you think. I like loooooong sweeping curves so those little items only appear every two or more km. There are enough trackside structures that can hide them if needed, even a small bush once in a while. But since I made them, I better like them.

70337:

If your AI Drivers refuse to go into a siding or sidings try placing an Invisible Signal in front of the Bufferstop/Railend.I have a Goods Yard on my Route laid out exactly as it was in real life - you have to set back from the Main Line into the Headshunt then drive forward into the goods yard.The AI drivers wouldn"t do it, but when I added the Invisible Signal they drove in OK.Apparently the line was "unsignalled" and that was the cause of the problem.

If your IA trains refuse to load or unload at ProtoLars tracks try this.

When sending the AI to a ProtoLars track, I use the driver command "Stop Train" (131986:150150).
    So issue the following driver commands:
    -Drive to Tackmark-Stop Train-Wait for n minutes-etc.
    or
    -Drive to Tackmark-Stop Train-Wait for 10 seconds-Uncouples-etc.

This applies the airbrakes to the whole train and prevents any movement (the probable cause of not un/loading).
    It works for me.
    andyz

Another Tip from Google Earth! Where Power Lines cross your Fields make a small circle of Grass a1 round the base of each post or Pylon.Farm machines steer clear of power line bases so they are always surrounded by rough grass..

Default Searching for content when building

When building a route there is an endless seeking for content, tracks and textures that you know that you have somewhere but everything drowns in the huge amount of material. I know about filters etc. but find it a bit tricky to organize.

To find and place what you want to use later on an empty baseboard and then get it by the pick tool is no news either, but I have added a little extra routine there that works very good for me.

First I have to start with a timeconsuming and rather boring task, but it pays off very well in the long run. I start with an empty baseboard and then I fill it with all the content, textures etc. that I like and possibly want to use later. Yes, it takes a long time really to search trough everything and place it in proper order on the baseboard...

Then I save that single baseboard, by the name "toolbox". Whenever I want to build a new route or go on with an already started route I simply merge the toolbox-baseboard to the route and pick whatever I need from the toolbox, easy and fast without a lot of boring and endless searching.

When the route is ready, if that ever happens, I simply deleate the toolbox. No time saved really with one single route, but the point is that you can use that saved toolbox to all routes you ever wish to build as many times you wish. The boring task to search for material is only nessecary one time.

Cheers,
    Håkan

Default Texturing tip

When you are texturing your layout, move the texture passes and detail level sliders to the right all the way, and you can avoid this type of problem:

I found this out the hard way
    Everything your parents ever warned you about.

I got the link from you and i have been using it, and thay are god.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBauman View Post
    I was sent to the tutorial referenced below and it has become my bible. I didn't know track had direction. Download & read it. It's clear and concise. Written in people language not techie stuff.

Tom
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a tutorial for those new to the TRS2004/2006 Surveyor module. It deals with many aspects of getting your new route off to a good start. It covers such things as:

Working with track and switches
    Making your turnouts look nice
    Controlling train speed through a switch
    An introduction to signalling
    Working with signals
    Installing bridges
    An introduction to portals
    Case studies in AI train operations

We'll go into considerable detail on these issues, and most of the tutorials are now available as downloadable .pdf files you can print out at home.

You can find the tutorial here: http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomBauman View Post

We'll go into considerable detail on these issues, and most of the tutorials are now available as downloadable .pdf files you can print out at home.

You can find the tutorial here: http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html
    Definitely a must read for all route builders.

Has anyone had the situation described in the middle of this page http://trains.0catch.com/CasesStudies-2.htm
    The Full Mesa Valley Configuration, where it shows a crossover before a spur. On the facing mainline there is a direction mark to prevent trains that cross over to go to the spur from taking the wrong mainline track.

I have several of those situations and yet, there are times when AI trains seem to ignore the direction mark and use that track anyway.

As best as I can figure it, a direction mark introduces a high but not infinite value in the path equation to discourage the selection of a specific piece of track. However, if all other alternatives are blocked, even temporarily by other trains, then the path with the direction mark might become available for selection. By the time the blocking train gets out of the way, it is too late and you end up with a train on the wrong side of a double track line.

Seems the AI have no patience and don't wait long enough for a route to be available.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?

70337:

Question Loading/Unloading Consists

Problem: Every car, even the locomotives want to stop and load/unload, even if that car is not set to take on a commodity at that industry. Does anyone know a way to limit the wait for only the cars to be loaded instead of the whole train stopping and starting throughout the complete consist?

United States of America, New York, Moravia
    Blog Entries

well i havent seen this thread i created in a while! i wondered where it went!
    i have no clue about your problem. there might be a rule for it. but i dont think there is.
    and i still want this thread a sticky please Mods!!!!
    73's,
    Adam Wiethuechter; KC2RXO

Thumbs down Where it went!

[quote=titaniclover;66189]well i havent seen this thread i created in a while! i wondered where it went! ... quote]
    I just made a thread about fixin problems of today with my question and I got two dumb replys from the moderators about the sugg boxcar. even I told em I cannot post there, they seen to think I am not registered! (How I can post anywhere if i'm not, DU!). I told em to cut the BS and they cut my thread, guess that means they could not answer my question. Bet that is what happened to your thread too! Ever see the movie "Dumb or dummer?